Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM

137 posts, read 625,039 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who have responded so far. My intention in posting this thread was to gain a sense of the overall socio-economic and cultural makeup in Midcaost ME. I have nothing against any of the stereotypical cultural groups whom I've asked about here. I simply wanted to get some idea ( albeit random) of what to expect in the social Big Picture.
As my name suggests, I am more on the blue-collar side ( cabinetmaker). I'm left leaning, college educated, and a little bit of a treehugger myself. I have the opportunity to come there and learn more of my trade in an area I see as 'Mecca' for fine woodwork and cabinetry. I'm excited about it but need to be in a progressive liberal environment. I hope I can find that in ME.
Thanks to all who contributed and keep em comin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
Thanks to all who have responded so far. My intention in posting this thread was to gain a sense of the overall socio-economic and cultural makeup in Midcaost ME. I have nothing against any of the stereotypical cultural groups whom I've asked about here. I simply wanted to get some idea ( albeit random) of what to expect in the social Big Picture.
As my name suggests, I am more on the blue-collar side ( cabinetmaker). I'm left leaning, college educated, and a little bit of a treehugger myself. I have the opportunity to come there and learn more of my trade in an area I see as 'Mecca' for fine woodwork and cabinetry. I'm excited about it but need to be in a progressive liberal environment. I hope I can find that in ME.
Thanks to all who contributed and keep em comin'.
It will be a great adventure. You will find all sorts of people and ideas, and you will find them way out of proportion to the number of people who live in the area.

Be patient. Listen a lot, watch and learn, not only about your craft, but how people think.

From my experience you will find "progressive liberals" to be mixed in freely with "conservative curmudgeons". While some areas are "more progressive" than others, no one part of Maine has a lock on any one political or social agenda than another.

If your goal is to "make change" happen, then I will suggest that whatever your particular flavor is, try to make no changes until you have been around a while...five or ten years would be good. Everyone in the area will know you before you know everyone. Make an effort at living and not leading from the git go, and you will find this to be a fine place.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 PM

87 posts, read 251,866 times
Washington, Maine is one of my destination corners. I love Washington, Maine. I love the people in Washington, Maine. What an odd place. It has a magic strip right through that little tiny place, with a glut of very progressive talented people. There was an old old lady there for a very long time who built her own solar system that was igger than her abode. I bought my homing pigeons from one couple who were from away. They found peace in Washington. There is the best relfexologist there in the world. The one church in the village corner had a bunch of ladies that made the most huge Raggedy Ann dolls anyone has ever seen for their far-away offering (to some kids in an African country). Huge. They were so big that they had to have an open house because everyone wanted to see those dolls. The back-to-the landers are doing hydroponics after being put out of business when just beginning to make a living with their trout raising project because the State Environmentalists from Augusta said they were a threat to the salmon, and it took three years to defend themselves, so they went into hydroponics instead and now ... well anyway. If you have a chance to learn from someone in Washington, Maine, I believe you will experience magic. Maine is real alright. Washington is something else, right in the middle of real.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 PM

137 posts, read 625,039 times
Acadianlion; I have no intentions or desire to change anything. Quite the opposite; I would like a social environment that does not require that I change who I am. I feel the need to live and work among people who do not pretend, who live reasonably and behave like true Human Beings.
Deborah; If Washington is as you claim, I should be very at home. Thanks for the comments and info.
You are the first person to have direct knowledge of Washington, itself. Can you tell me more?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
if the very nice folks that own washington village hardware store is a reflection of most folks in washington, then it should be a wonderful area..

Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Quote:
Acadianlion; I have no intentions or desire to change anything. Quite the opposite; I would like a social environment that does not require that I change who I am. I feel the need to live and work among people who do not pretend, who live reasonably and behave like true Human Beings.
?
You're moving to the right place. Once you are out of the "other" Maine...that which lies in and around the high density area of Portland, you will find a more casual "live and let live" attitude toward who and what you are. This is pretty typical of most areas: once you are out of the suburbs and into the more rural area, the people become more "real".

You should feel right at home.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I take offense!! There are still some of us "real" people here in southern Maine. Why we even still have farmers around here!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
I'm going to check out a job possibility in Midcoast ME, town of Washington to be precise. I guess what I'm looking for is some opinions or commentary on the "scene" up there.
To put it into perspective, are the back to the landers, treehuggers, and hippies for real? Or, is it a case of " trustafarian" ( trust fund ) college kids playing hippie , like in Boulder CO., for example?
Is there a predominant redneck element?
How do the locals feel about transplants?
I found in Bellingham WA., they were more yuppies wearing Patagonia and buying Organic, more for the image than anything else.
Is Maine for real?
Like Boulder only colder, more old money than noveau rich yuppies , which is an improvement.
Truth be told the USA is now a mass culture where there isnt much difference in anywhere from anywhere else other than the age old reactionary southern centers.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 PM

87 posts, read 251,866 times
tcrackly, there is nothing wrog with where you live. it is not, however, the old Maine. It is the new. Grub, here are more of my thoughts about WaWa, Maine. wawa people always have to say "I live in Washington, Maine, because they live in Washington, Maine, not Washingtone Anywhereelse, and everyone everywhere, even there, always think they mean Anywhereelse if they just say Washington. The town is not a town. It is a road that goes up a little tiny hill, and then branches out into other places to absolute nowhere. It is impossible to understand directions because the roads are narrow and make no sense. They looks like private driveways. The main road begins where there is a one-tank gas station with a non-store. I think there are Route numbers there, but I never remember Route numbers. You turn there. There is a house in the ditch that looks really cute, across from the non-store, but it obviously is not a place where anyone would live. Beside that is the Home Grown family where they do hydroponics. You can see their greenhouse. I have not been there this summer. Yet. So I do not know whether or not they put their sign back up. It blew down. He grew up in Hawaii and has great stories. they are in their 40's and have two kids that are getting rather bigger. That is where you will go and say that Debbie sent you. Good conversation, all kinds of opinions, all kinds of listening skills. Washington, Maine is between the gentrified coast and inland Maine. The coastal towns have a lot of new money that does not go 'round to everyone, just kind of corkscrews up and down like a tunnel or funnel. their lawns are mowed. Their fields are groomed. their fences are mended. The Llamas are petted and graze and smile. Inland Maine - on the West side of Washington, Maine, has rusted old cars around, too many dawgs to count, wildflowers in the scrubby fields, stone walls that end and begin and end again, and many a rusted house trailer with people in them, right beside prosperous little houses with medium sized barns and many people in business for themselves taking care of others with the trades, like carpentry, mechanics, fresh eggs, and caretaking. So. Washington, Maine is in a magic crevice between these two worlds, the real Maine and the unreal Maine and the residents have their absolute choice of lifestyle, with no chance of criticism that will hurt to the core, because Washington, Maine is its own person. Does that help?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Caldwell View Post
tcrackly, there is nothing wrog with where you live. it is not, however, the old Maine. It is the new. Grub, here are more of my thoughts about WaWa, Maine. wawa people always have to say "I live in Washington, Maine, because they live in Washington, Maine, not Washingtone Anywhereelse, and everyone everywhere, even there, always think they mean Anywhereelse if they just say Washington. The town is not a town. It is a road that goes up a little tiny hill, and then branches out into other places to absolute nowhere. It is impossible to understand directions because the roads are narrow and make no sense. They looks like private driveways. The main road begins where there is a one-tank gas station with a non-store. I think there are Route numbers there, but I never remember Route numbers. You turn there. There is a house in the ditch that looks really cute, across from the non-store, but it obviously is not a place where anyone would live. Beside that is the Home Grown family where they do hydroponics. You can see their greenhouse. I have not been there this summer. Yet. So I do not know whether or not they put their sign back up. It blew down. He grew up in Hawaii and has great stories. they are in their 40's and have two kids that are getting rather bigger. That is where you will go and say that Debbie sent you. Good conversation, all kinds of opinions, all kinds of listening skills. Washington, Maine is between the gentrified coast and inland Maine. The coastal towns have a lot of new money that does not go 'round to everyone, just kind of corkscrews up and down like a tunnel or funnel. their lawns are mowed. Their fields are groomed. their fences are mended. The Llamas are petted and graze and smile. Inland Maine - on the West side of Washington, Maine, has rusted old cars around, too many dawgs to count, wildflowers in the scrubby fields, stone walls that end and begin and end again, and many a rusted house trailer with people in them, right beside prosperous little houses with medium sized barns and many people in business for themselves taking care of others with the trades, like carpentry, mechanics, fresh eggs, and caretaking. So. Washington, Maine is in a magic crevice between these two worlds, the real Maine and the unreal Maine and the residents have their absolute choice of lifestyle, with no chance of criticism that will hurt to the core, because Washington, Maine is its own person. Does that help?
very nice descriptive post deb!!!

route 105 runs thru washington (from windsor)
also just a few miles north of rte 17 (turn at stickney corner) on rte 220
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine