Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beullah
To all:

I can't imagine we would want to change anything. The only thing we work on here is improving our public school district, i.e., passing a parcel tax and and trying to bring kids in lower socioeconomic backgrounds into parity with kids from more affluent backgrounds. Our school tax funding is different than most states because we have Proposition 13. It fixes our property taxes at 1% of the purchase price plus ad valorem taxes and assessments. Maine probably funds it's schools at the same level per pupil as California, yet California has a higher cost of living and, let's face it, is a very affluent state. A parcel tax requires a supermajority vote. We've had funding issues since I was in junior high school (in the 1970s).
I am certainly familiar with Prop 13. Maine is much better.

Quote:
... beekeeper: My son is currently serving on the USS Los Angeles WESTPAC. He's stationed in Hawaii. He was ported in Singapore last week for a few days, and he was able to call me a couple of times. The next time I hear from him, he should be in Los Angeles. The USS Los Angeles is the first class of the Los Angeles class of submarine. They're planning on decommissioning it after this deployment. They're having a small celebration in LA, and then a large 'official' ceremony in Washington. After his boat is decommed, he will his choice of orders: Pearl Harbor (where he's currently stationed), and Washington. He might ask for San Diego, but he's doubtful that he'll get it. He likes Hawaii because he wants to be on the fast attack subs (they travel out of US waters). If he goes to Washington, he'll be on a boomer, and they don't go out of US waters. If it were me, I'd ask to be assigned to the East Coast so I could see more of the world rather than going to the same countries over and over again. Unfortunately, he hated the East Coast. He just could not tolerate the cold weather.
I was on the USS George C Marshall, the USS Simon Lake, The USS Casimir Pulaski, and the USS Alaska. Boomers mostly, East coast, West Coast and Europe.

I Decomm'ed the Pulaski.

It can be a good career.

Quote:
... I really don't think we want to make Maine into California. California has far too many problems. The politics here are just crazy. The people are even crazier. There is a self-centeredness here that I haven't seen anywhere else. I've had someone get mad at me because I was walking my kid across the street to school, and we had the right-of-way/crossing guard. This person became very irate because she couldn't make her turn until we crossed.
LOL

I can see that. [In California that is]

Quote:
... And, while my husband and I are not necessarily against change, we don't want all of our neighboring cities turned into strip malls. They all look the same and the chain stores move in and drive out the locally-owned establishments. My husband's hometown no longer has the mom and pop sporting goods store, restaurants, and the like.
Chain stores are crazy everywhere in my old hometown [in Ca], farm land gets converted to tract housing, ugh.

Quote:
... California just cannot be run effectively as it is. The interests in the three major regions are too disparate. Northern California (where I live), the Central Valley, and Southern California (with the exception of LA and Hollywood). There are always significant competing interests between the three regions. There is also a ton of racism here.

The few good things here is that Disneyland or Lake Tahoe are within a day's drive
Yosemite, Death Valley, Mt Whitney, and 'BigTrees' Sequoia National Park .

Quote:
... The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very nice, but the Mystic CT Aquarium beats it
True, I so liked the Mystic Aquarium that I married an animal trainer they had. This cute redhead with the nicest smile, mmm.

Quote:
... Driving Hwy 1 North is beautiful. Just like driving the Coastal highway on the East Coast. Yosemite National Park. If you haven't been there, you should go. It's impressive, but very expensive. Go in Spring or Winter. It's more affordable, but cold. During the winter, you can snowshoe and X-Country ski. These are pretty much the highlights.
I used to do a lot of snowshoeing as a teenager in Yosemite.

You will like Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 AM

79 posts, read 343,315 times
beekeeper,

Where were you in CA? San Diego? I don't think my son wants to stay in the Navy as a career. His goal is to become a social worker. The GI Bill was the big military draw. He's now torn between staying in the military because it's dependable, reliable, and getting out, using his GI Bill for school and living expenses (they give you a stipend based on BHA). I think that if he reenlists, he will do so in the Air Force. Our hometown is Concord, CA, and Travis AFB is probably an hour commute from here. He definitely wants to stay in California. He convinced his best friend to enlist, and the friend is on an air craft carrier stationed in VA. I have to give the Navy credit. When my son left, he was a good kid, but he lacked discipline and was a slob. Not anymore. He's disciplined, conscientious, and keeps himself and his quarters clean. I couldn't do it in 20 years, and the Navy did it in one!

We have a large school district -- over 36K students. The state has cut over $30K from a $130M budget. The district has cut bussing, special ed services, and high school sports. Sports were reinstated, but parents must pay $400+ per sport/year and $100+ for bussing to away sporting events. Same applies for Band. All other music has been cut. In addition, we're asked to contribute $400 to $1000/year/child to make up for the state's cuts. Unfortunately, CA's budget problems will continue, and the economy will continue to have severe highs and lows.

Housing started picking up, but there has been a whole new wave of foreclosure activity on the horizon. It will take the state several years to recover from California's economic crisis.

And, it's been so weird. A boy in Clayton (upscale community) was assaulted several months ago. A man was shot to death at the Clayton Post Office recently. There has been a man and a woman making inappropriate advances to schoolchildren at some of our schools. Crime in general is on the rise. Walnut Creek, another affluent community, has seen various bar fights, a murder, and stabbings. Fortunately, our kids' school is completely fenced and under lockdown during the day. That's the state of this state now. I imagine you've heard of Phillip Garrido. We used to live a few miles away from them.

Anyway, my dad was a WWII and Korean War Vet, Ret. Master Sergeant. My brother a Vietnam Vet, awarded a Purple Heart, and now my son is a Navy submariner. When I was a kid (dependent), we used to shop at NAS Alameda and the Oakland Army Base (mostly at the commissary, not the PX), and received our medical through Oak Knoll Naval Hospital. They're all gone now.

We're looking forward to moving on.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beullah View Post
beekeeper,

Where were you in CA? San Diego?
I have visited San Diego and gone to schools there. I have also pulled into the Subase on Point Reyes a few times.

But I have never been homeported there.

I gave in in Ceres [outside of Modesto] where we had almond orchards and cattle. I attended Merced Highschool, and joined the Navy.

Quote:
... I don't think my son wants to stay in the Navy as a career. His goal is to become a social worker. The GI Bill was the big military draw. He's now torn between staying in the military because it's dependable, reliable, and getting out, using his GI Bill for school and living expenses (they give you a stipend based on BHA). I think that if he reenlists, he will do so in the Air Force.
During my first enlistment I did not want to be in the Navy any longer than I had to.

I got out after 6-years. Went to Fresno and got enrolled in classes using my GI bill. Then a dear friend had a stroke and needed someone to move in with her and assist her, so my Dw and I moved to Lake County, I transferred to Mendocino CC on my GI bill. The saga is long and twisted, eventually we moved back in with my mother in Merced and I finished my GI bill there.

I had a few job offers focusing mainly on my sub training, but each would have put us in company tract housing in a suburb of LA, or Pittsburgh, or DC. With me on the road most of the time. We really did not want to live that lifestyle.

Many of our friends at the time were encouraging me to go back into the Navy and get the pension.

This was in 1987, Re-Enlistment Bonuses [called SRB] in the Navy were high [$60k whereas today they are $90k]; so I went back in.

I do understand his feelings of wanting to get out of the Navy, "there must be a better place".

Quote:
... Our hometown is Concord, CA, and Travis AFB is probably an hour commute from here. He definitely wants to stay in California.
I have cousins who live in Walnut Creek and Hayward.

Small world!

Quote:
... He convinced his best friend to enlist, and the friend is on an air craft carrier stationed in VA. I have to give the Navy credit. When my son left, he was a good kid, but he lacked discipline and was a slob. Not anymore. He's disciplined, conscientious, and keeps himself and his quarters clean. I couldn't do it in 20 years, and the Navy did it in one!
The Navy can do that to a guy.

Quote:
... We have a large school district -- over 36K students. The state has cut over $30K from a $130M budget. The district has cut bussing, special ed services, and high school sports. Sports were reinstated, but parents must pay $400+ per sport/year and $100+ for bussing to away sporting events. Same applies for Band. All other music has been cut. In addition, we're asked to contribute $400 to $1000/year/child to make up for the state's cuts. Unfortunately, CA's budget problems will continue, and the economy will continue to have severe highs and lows.
I know.

My mother and step-father both passed away this summer, and now we can not liquidated their estate. Housing is not moving, and is often priced at short-sell prices.

Quote:
... Housing started picking up, but there has been a whole new wave of foreclosure activity on the horizon. It will take the state several years to recover from California's economic crisis.

And, it's been so weird. A boy in Clayton (upscale community) was assaulted several months ago. A man was shot to death at the Clayton Post Office recently. There has been a man and a woman making inappropriate advances to schoolchildren at some of our schools. Crime in general is on the rise. Walnut Creek, another affluent community, has seen various bar fights, a murder, and stabbings. Fortunately, our kids' school is completely fenced and under lockdown during the day. That's the state of this state now. I imagine you've heard of Phillip Garrido. We used to live a few miles away from them.
I was out there this summer. The Modesto PD was laying off 1/3 of their LEOs, and others had to take reductions in rank. Firemen are being laid-off. Other municipal services are being asked to work at reduced salaries.

One of my brothers retired from the Modesto PD, now they are look at reducing all city pensions, he got p/t work now as a contract-for-hire 'internal-affairs' officer. So now local PDs have been laying off their IA divisions, and hire him case-by-case to handle each of their internal problems.

It seems crazy to reduce the budgets of so many municipal services like that, but the cities have no other choice.

I saw what it is like. I am telling you Maine is completely different.

Everyone everywhere likes to whine about there local economy. I understand that. However right now California's economy is super bad. There is no comparing that to Maine.

During these types of times folks will turn to crime.

Plus California has tent cities popping up, ...

Come to Maine. We'll rescue you.

Quote:
... Anyway, my dad was a WWII and Korean War Vet, Ret. Master Sergeant. My brother a Vietnam Vet, awarded a Purple Heart, and now my son is a Navy submariner. When I was a kid (dependent), we used to shop at NAS Alameda and the Oakland Army Base (mostly at the commissary, not the PX), and received our medical through Oak Knoll Naval Hospital. They're all gone now.

The nation used to be dotted with military bases everywhere. All gone now. Here in Maine they had huge AF bases, gone.

Come check out Maine

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beullah View Post
beekeeper,

Where were you in CA? San Diego? I don't think my son wants to stay in the Navy as a career. His goal is to become a social worker. The GI Bill was the big military draw. He's now torn between staying in the military because it's dependable, reliable, and getting out, using his GI Bill for school and living expenses (they give you a stipend based on BHA). I think that if he reenlists, he will do so in the Air Force. Our hometown is Concord, CA, and Travis AFB is probably an hour commute from here. He definitely wants to stay in California. He convinced his best friend to enlist, and the friend is on an air craft carrier stationed in VA. I have to give the Navy credit. When my son left, he was a good kid, but he lacked discipline and was a slob. Not anymore. He's disciplined, conscientious, and keeps himself and his quarters clean. I couldn't do it in 20 years, and the Navy did it in one!

We have a large school district -- over 36K students. The state has cut over $30K from a $130M budget. The district has cut bussing, special ed services, and high school sports. Sports were reinstated, but parents must pay $400+ per sport/year and $100+ for bussing to away sporting events. Same applies for Band. All other music has been cut. In addition, we're asked to contribute $400 to $1000/year/child to make up for the state's cuts. Unfortunately, CA's budget problems will continue, and the economy will continue to have severe highs and lows.

Housing started picking up, but there has been a whole new wave of foreclosure activity on the horizon. It will take the state several years to recover from California's economic crisis.

Anyway, my dad was a WWII and Korean War Vet, Ret. Master Sergeant. My brother a Vietnam Vet, awarded a Purple Heart, and now my son is a Navy submariner. When I was a kid (dependent), we used to shop at NAS Alameda and the Oakland Army Base (mostly at the commissary, not the PX), and received our medical through Oak Knoll Naval Hospital. They're all gone now.

I was running the numbers and 130,000,000 divided by 36,000 students is about $3,600 per student

A few miles away in Oakland CA... the money per student is almost $16,000

I don't see how a public school in the Bay Area can spend so little per student.

I used to frequent Oak Knoll because I went to school with kids that lived on base and one of them at one time Father was the base commander... about the only base left around here is the Coast Guard in Alameda/Oakland...

Lots of retired Military are very unhappy with the lack of services... I bought my home from a WWII retired Navy Commander and he said the Bay Area was the place for the military most of his life until the Bay Area wanted the military out and they left...

Oprah put up money to buy Oak Knoll for a church group... the church was not able to come up with the rest of the funds so the deal was off... A developer bought it at the height of the market and then ran into development issues with the city and everything was put on hold and now I think the whole thing has been foreclosed and is slowly rotting away... it wasn't too many years ago the DOD spent lots of money upgrading the Hospital...

Overall, they say 3-strikes lowered violent crime by 50% per capita from 15 years ago... I think the problem is crime is not stationary and can happen anywhere...

Pleasant Hill seems to do a good job when it come to Police and City Services...

Maine is beautiful and Forest BeeKeeper has generously shared his experiences...

Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Beullah: If you can afford it, try Maine. If you don't like it, leave.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:32 PM

53 posts, read 267,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I attended Merced Highschool, and joined the Navy.
Now this is a small world! My wife and I both attended Merced High School (class of '87 and '88). I joined the Air Force and was stationed in Texas twice and Germany once. Got out in '98 and joined IBM in San Antonio and later moved to Colorado where we are now and looking to move to Maine by our 20th wedding anniversary in 2013.

All the comments previously about people protecting their privacy and not wanting those that move in from away to try and change Maine to be like some other place -- well duh!! as we said in high school. And all this time I thought that was common courtesy.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 AM

16 posts, read 34,000 times
Beullah, From my perspective, the best advice you've received is from Deborah Cadwell.

I'm from the west coast myself and moved here about four years ago... I hate it.... For many, many reasons.

I wish I could move back to the west, but I spent a lot of money getting here and with the jobs and economy the way it is, it would be suicide to move back now.

Don't buy into the maine fantasy, it's being sold to you by realtors and travel agents.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe View Post

Don't buy into the maine fantasy, it's being sold to you by realtors and travel agents.
......and 7th generation Mainers.......

Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe View Post
Beullah, From my perspective, the best advice you've received is from Deborah Cadwell.

I'm from the west coast myself and moved here about four years ago... I hate it.... For many, many reasons.

I wish I could move back to the west, but I spent a lot of money getting here and with the jobs and economy the way it is, it would be suicide to move back now.

Sorry things are not working out well for you. Please elaborate on why you don't like it around here. It's good for people to see it from another perspective. Especially someone with some recent experience moving here. We all know it's not always rosy.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 34,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Sorry things are not working out well for you. Please elaborate on why you don't like it around here. It's good for people to see it from another perspective. Especially someone with some recent experience moving here. We all know it's not always rosy.
No, that's Ok....The threads not about me. I'd just get all snippy and whiney and stuff.

I'll try to blend in and make it home here... but I'll always miss the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine