Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,076,564 times

Advertisements

When I was in the Air Force in Texas, a girl from Alabama asked me, in all seriousness, if we still used dog sleds to get around in the winter. I allowed as how most people were using snowmobiles now.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,984,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I'm going to catch sweet hell for this but here goes. I lived in Northern Aroostook County for 12 years and to be perfectly honest, although I never had any trouble living among the locals, they really didn't have much use for people from outside. Called them foreigners, people from "down country"...and they made fun of them just as bad as you have been bashing city folk. There are still times when I see posts on here from Maine folks who are suppose to be among the friendliest around and they are brutal on us city people. Not all of us city folks are up for a Mainer bashing by a long shot.

According to Mainers, no one knows as much about farming as they do, no one knows as much about lobster as they do, no one knows as much about logging as they do and all city people are snobs and think they have it so much better than Mainers do. In some instances we do have it better than you. I truly believe there is better medical care down here in the city, more job opportunity down here, better schooling down here and more. There are just as many loggers in Washington State and Oregon as there are in Maine who work just as hard. I don't like lobster so I don't even care about that.

Yup, all of us foreigners down here are whacked out on drugs, running nuts through the city with bumper to bumper traffic making fun of Maine people daily...NOT SO! We just can't wait to wake up in the morning and see how many insults we can hurl at Mainers on the forums online. Such fun to Maine bash. Again, not true.

When I lived in Aroostook county, I was on and off food stamps because there was no work, my house was 100 plus years old and badly in need of repair and was never going to get done because my husband was always out with the boys drinking beer, smoking pot and just being a jerk. Hell, the house caught fire twice because my ex didn't know he was suppose to clean his chimney yearly and he is FROM Aroostook County.

Nuff said. Give us city slickers a break here. Not all of us want to make fun of Mainers, got better things to do like go to that so called 4 story high Mall you spoke about...and just where is that?????
I'm with you, CP. I think Mainers do themselves a disservice to continue the prejudices across the "Volvo Line". I think there is enough of Maine to go around and maintain a variety of lifestyles...all of them good. I have found backwoods rednecks carrying on their traditional lifestyle amid the suburban sprawl of southern ME and jet-commuting city-slickers living among the wilds of Washington Co. It's all gu-ood!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
For me,
I find people from away an excellent source of knowledge and over all good people.

Most people that move here, are looking for what the people here are looking for too..." Good People to met and learn from."

I just found it alittle cruel to be cold about an area passing through to the people that live in the area.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 PM

6,614 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
According to Mainers, no one knows as much about farming as they do, no one knows as much about lobster as they do, no one knows as much about logging as they do and all city people are snobs and think they have it so much better than Mainers do.
So it's safe to say all people living in CT make ignorant generalizations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine