Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

I know we've done this before but it is always kind of fun to see what new things people come up with for their favorite fall/cold weather comfort food.
We start to make more hearty soups and stews this time of year. It's nice to have some fresh fall root veggies from the garden or the farmer's market ,fresh herbs, maybe a local chicken or a fresh ham hock for the bean pot. Fresh game becomes more abundant soon. It was tankratt who got me thinking of making venison chili soon. (a fresh deer would help with that). Time for biscuits, corn bread, apple and pumpkin and squash pies, fresh turkeys. All that good "rib stickin'" stuff we don't eat much during the warm weather,though this year stew in July wouldn't have raised any eyebrows!!
Tonight it's home made chicken soup and biscuits with local honey. I got some fresh carrots from my brother, a fresh local chicken from the meat market, some new potatoes, a few peas, onions and late beans from a local farm stand and I'm ready to cook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:37 PM

612 posts, read 1,215,907 times
One of my favorite fall weather comfort foods is beef stew or Irish Lamb Stew. I made Irish stew in June, during the cool, rainy, damp, foggy days of summer using lamb from a local farm...awesome!!! Oh, also chili, hot and spicy with grilled cheese sandwiches. Recipes...Maine style of course... Keep Cooking THE MAINE WAY by Marjorie Standish. I have several of her cookbooks.

I have a recipe called the Great Pumpkin Stew...beef stew cooked and spooned into a 10inch to 12 inch pumpkin that the pumpkin has been scooped out in chunks, added to the beef stew and spooned into the pumpkin shell then baked in a preheated 350 oven for about 1 1/2 hours. A beautiful presentation and delicious too.

Last edited by Eastport4me; 09-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: add Maine style

Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Last Saturday a pot roast in the oven, low heat all afternoon. Added new potatoes, carrots, onions and made gravy. Sunday fresh pesto pizza with my own pesto, tomatoes, red peppers, onions and grilled chicken breast. Murphy Good Merlot $5.00 off at Shaw's a very tasty choice to go with.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Apple crisp. Mmmm...

Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
Last Saturday a pot roast in the oven, low heat all afternoon. Added new potatoes, carrots, onions and made gravy. Sunday fresh pesto pizza with my own pesto, tomatoes, red peppers, onions and grilled chicken breast. Murphy Good Merlot $5.00 off at Shaw's a very tasty choice to go with.
Fresh pesto! Yum!!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:42 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
We have friends coming up on Friday. I'm making a crockpot of baked beans (with salt pork), coleslaw, buttermilk biscuts, hot dogs and brownie sundaes for dessert. Saturday will be a beef stew with yeast rolls, angel cake with raspberries and whipped cream.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 PM

612 posts, read 1,215,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We have friends coming up on Friday. I'm making a crockpot of baked beans (with salt pork), coleslaw, buttermilk biscuts, hot dogs and brownie sundaes for dessert. Saturday will be a beef stew with yeast rolls, angel cake with raspberries and whipped cream.
Do you use maple syrup or molasses in your baked beans? I much prefer the hots dogs in Maine over the brands in the stores here in the south.

When in Bangor, we get a steamed red hot dog at a grocery/dunkin donut/gas combo place on Route 9. The steamed red hot dogs have the best flavor.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastport4me View Post
Do you use maple syrup or molasses in your baked beans? I much prefer the hots dogs in Maine over the brands in the stores here in the south.

When in Bangor, we get a steamed red hot dog at a grocery/dunkin donut/gas combo place on Route 9. The steamed red hot dogs have the best flavor.
I'm a glutton I use a combination of real maple syrup and molasses!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
yep, time to double-check the freezer, see what you forgot you had over the summer,
tonight, i made a stuffed pork roast, it actually came out very well!! i took a bnls pork sirloin stuffed it with apple/cinammon stuffing (add apple juice to dry stuffing, along with a cut up apple, mix, add some cinammon, stuff, and then add just a little brown sugar on top, smells like an apple pie when baking... it was delicious!
tomorrow, im going to make a chicken cordon bleu- just take a half bnls chicken breast, slice in half (butterfly) and then place a slice of swiss cheese and ham in the middle, then roll in seasoned bread crumbs, (you could also pour some cream sauce over the top if you'd like.

the older i get i want to try new recipes,,,good thread!!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Cider and donuts. Fresh pressed cider and real homemade donuts fried in lard. Makes em have a crunchy crust, but tender inside, Mmmmm good. We're having a trash can turkey on Sunday at camp. Likely it will be our last weekend at camp. After this we'll just go for the day to cut firewood and take out the dock when it looks like the lake is about to freeze.

Hey; This morning it was summer. Now it's fall. By Monday it will feel like winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine