Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post
Well we had one night of cool weather....it actually got down to around 50. It didn't last long. Now we are all muggy and hot again....gotta love the south! That one day felt great though...had the windows open and it was breezy....now I am back to the ac running and cooling down the house.
Well, at least were not in Alaska or Canada. I don't think I could survive one of those winters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
The cool temps the last week have sent the squirrels that live behind me in the trees into my ceiling and walls for comfort. Ha!!! A couple nights ago, I turned the heat on and BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thunk!!!!!! Thunk!!!! Chugga, Chugga, Hummmmmmmmmmm..... it went.... First it scared the crapola out of me as I thought the gas furnace was going to blow up. lol But it kept running... then when it got the rooms up to temp, it turned off... again with the BANG, THUNK!!! sounds... Geeeeeeeees, I thought to myself... now WHAT??? Are the ball bearings going in the motor? Am I going to fry the whole thing if I keep running it???

The next two days it ran, it repeated the sounds, but less loudly. Then it was warm enough for Wednesday it didn't turn on during the day. When I got home from my friends in Sorrento, I turned the heat up a little as I was chilled from the ride (having the window open coming down route 1 so the female dog can have her ears flying in the wind!).

It hardly made a sound when it turned on, but almost instantly there was this horrid stench that overtook the cabin of the 5th wheel. I ran and opened the vents in the bedroom ceiling and ran around outside seeing if there were flames shooting out of the camper anywhere or smoke... nada....

I came back inside to find the cat over one of the heat vents sniffing... and I started to pay attention to that stench too.... yup... definitely hair burnt up.... OMG.... I guess we had some fried squirrel, mouse, or chipmunk!!!! LOL All is well with the heater now, but I still had them running across the ceiling at night and up the walls.

I went out to the hardware and bought 3 cans of Great Stuff and spent about a half hour under the camper squirting everywhere it looked like a filthy rodent could squeeze its way in! UGH!!! Testing tonight.....

Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Did you get the dead one out? Is there a nest in there that might catch fire? I know that must have been nasty, and I'm glad you sealed all possible holes, I'd just be concerned that whatever is left might catch fire. Please be safe.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Thanks B~.... still hear then running overhead and it sounds like 'someone' might be coming in by the back right end... which I thought I'd really buttoned up quite well. I also found a mud dauber nest in my pan cabinet, so there's open air coming from somewhere!!! Back at it tomorrow! ...it's always something I guess!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 PM

228 posts, read 474,416 times
hehehe...I am trying not to laugh...but I can only imagine! Between the thunks and the stench.....woohoo! At least your evenings aren't boring!

Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
We had serious bear and raccoon problems this year but I'd almost trade them for the mice we have now. Bear and raccoon stay outside where they belong. Now that it's cold at night the mice are partying in my kitchen drawers. After supper I put the silver and utensils on the counter for the night. In the morning I put coffee on and empty traps. It's ridiculous!

43* this morning. The sun is shining on the top of a golden and green pine tree and is beautiful. Have you noticed the white pines turning golden? They lose about a third of their needles each fall.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
Are there going to be any leave on the trees when we get there on the 16th?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM

I've found pieces of acorns on the kitchen area floor the last few mornings. The cat didn't sleep with me at all last night. She was holding vigil I guess.... no presents from her though...

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post
hehehe...I am trying not to laugh...but I can only imagine! Between the thunks and the stench.....woohoo! At least your evenings aren't boring!
Ha ha! I laugh about it, why shouldn't you??? What else can you do, really. The other fun thing is there is a branch from a very old apple tree that drops apples on the roof. BANG!!!! I thought someone shot the trailer the first night I arrived. It was dark when I unloaded the furballs and brought in supplies. Sat down and BANG!!!! We (2 dogs, the cat, and me) all jumped sky high!!! lol

Jim (campground owner) is going to trim the tree, but we are also moving the camper into the field to get the rodents away from it. Where it's sitting, it's SO convenient for them to use! lol

Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
We had a couple of mice get in, caught them in traps. I think they were getting in behind the chimney. We then plugged every crack we could find with fine steel wool. No more mice in the house but, we have caught a few in the garage. Today we got the plastic up on the screen porch, it will make a big differance, particularly on sunny days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine