Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:59 AM

63 posts, read 136,373 times

Advertisements

My mom was thinking of moving to the Arrowsic/Georgetown area within the next year, mainly because it's a bit more remote than where she is now in Harpswell and seems like a nice area...and if she ended up in Arrowsic, it would be just as far to Brunswick as where she is now (20 min), with Bath along the way. Does anyone have any thoughts on those two towns, or perhaps compare it to Harpswell?

She plans on building a small little place for herself within the next year if that helps.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,428,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_photographer View Post
My mom was thinking of moving to the Arrowsic/Georgetown area within the next year, mainly because it's a bit more remote than where she is now in Harpswell and seems like a nice area...and if she ended up in Arrowsic, it would be just as far to Brunswick as where she is now (20 min), with Bath along the way. Does anyone have any thoughts on those two towns, or perhaps compare it to Harpswell?

She plans on building a small little place for herself within the next year if that helps.

Thanks for any info!
IMO, they are both really nice areas. Not a heck of a lot of difference between them and Harpswell though, except she'd be closer to the sandy beaches. Summer traffic might be a little more heavy due to the state parks and a few campgrounds in both towns. Same ruralness, same volunteer fire depts and just a couple little mom & pop stores just like Harpswell. Indeed she would be approx 20 minutes to Bath in either town, add another 15 minutes to Brunswick. I would assume that taxes might be just a tad less in either Georgetown or Arrowsic if she wasn't directly on the water.
Why is she looking for a more remote location than Harpswell unless she is closer to the Brunswick line than the shore? Which side of Harpswell is she on? Rt.123 or Rt. 24? Is she willing to deal with trying to get to and from either town during BIW traffic? Combine that traffic w/ the summer traffic and Rt 1 can be a PITA and there are no alternative routes. While BIW now staggers their start and end times, trying to get through Bath anytime between 3:15 and 4pm is a total cluster all year long.

I know there are many fine builders in each area if she decides to build in the future.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful response Mermaid. She (well, WE) live down Rte. 24 and although it is very beautiful it is too crowded for her taste. She eventually wants to buy a nice sized lot (3+acres) and build, and it seems that the prices are more reasonable in the Arrowsic area, although that might change with the Base in Brunswick closing (or at least that's what I've heard in respect to homes).

I don't think the traffic will be a problem for her. To us, it just seems like that peninsula is more spread out. I didn't think there was any major difference between the two areas, but since we're new to the area I thought I would ask the locals anyways! Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,428,338 times
Agreed, it is more spread out down towards Arrowsic, and most likely more affordable than any part of Harpswell. Unless she went towards someplace like Indian Point, etc.
I had to giggle when you said it was too crowded for her where you are on 24. I think I read in one of your previous posts that you were close to Cook's so I have a basic idea of where you live. Yes, the houses in that area are a little tight. If she is looking for a larger lot with less neighbors on top of her, then finding 3+ acres in Arrowsic should be easy to find.

In regard to housing in Brunswick becoming more affordable once the base closes, again, IMO this will only apply to existing base housing, not new construction. Hopefully new companies with new employees looking into moving into BNAS will snatch up those existing base housing units at both Cooks Corner and McKean St.

Best of luck to your Mom and BTW, you live in on one of the prettiest islands in Maine!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Agreed, it is more spread out down towards Arrowsic, and most likely more affordable than any part of Harpswell. Unless she went towards someplace like Indian Point, etc.
I had to giggle when you said it was too crowded for her where you are on 24. I think I read in one of your previous posts that you were close to Cook's so I have a basic idea of where you live. Yes, the houses in that area are a little tight. If she is looking for a larger lot with less neighbors on top of her, then finding 3+ acres in Arrowsic should be easy to find.

In regard to housing in Brunswick becoming more affordable once the base closes, again, IMO this will only apply to existing base housing, not new construction. Hopefully new companies with new employees looking into moving into BNAS will snatch up those existing base housing units at both Cooks Corner and McKean St.

Best of luck to your Mom and BTW, you live in on one of the prettiest islands in Maine!
Most of the base housing units have been sold already and it looks like they're going to try renting the 701 units around McKeen street.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post

Haha, yes you guessed it! It's pretty crowded on Bailey, reminiscent of living around Boston (actually I think we had slightly more acreage there...perhaps a whole half an acre!). We moved from Cushing where we had 10 acres, but the views and the location are no comparison to where we are now. It's a great place to be for the time being.

Before Cushing we lived in Vermont where acreage is good and plenty, although the property taxes are out of this world which made it impossible to actually buy something and not worry about paying them in the future (some towns were more than $30 per $1000). Also, we missed the ocean.

I'm sure you're right about the base housing. As I said, I'm pretty new to the area and just pick up opinions here and there and the consensus is that housing costs will go down, but it would make sense that it would only apply to the base housing. Sounds like the town has plans for the base though which is great.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM

162 posts, read 398,224 times
Hi Coastal, I think from a previous discussion you're already aware that many, if not most, parts of Arrowsic/Georgetown don't have high-speed internet or cable. Something to check into for any building site your mother might look at if she cares about those things. If she has a good view of the southern sky she could get satellite for the TV, but I'm told that satellite internet is pricey and not very good.

I live in Woolwich, go into Bath a lot, and I don't find the BIW traffic a problem for more than about 20 minutes. I will say a lot of those guys absolute bomb down the road in Arrowsic/Georgetown, but your mother probably already gets a lot of locals doing that down her way.

I like being close to Bath. It's such a community-minded town. The old-fashioned downtown is wonderful, especially Reny's, the Library Bookstore, Now You're Cooking, the candy store and the bakery. The Patten Free Library is quite a good small library and the YMCA is modern and nice.

Being close to Reid State Park would be a plus if she likes rocky points and sandy beaches. It's been pretty darned buggy in parts of the park in the last few years, but it's so pretty, the long sand beaches are wonderful to walk and it's rarely crowded there, even in the height of tourist season.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Hi Woolwitch,

I remember you! She doesn't care too much about the high speed thing, so I don't think that's a problem, as well as with the cable/satellite. We're accustomed to being without those things living in rural Vermont then in Cushing.

Wow, people sure do fly down the peninsulas. We had that in Cushing (one being my neighbor...) and are seeing it around here as well. Probably because parts of the roads are just straight-aways. I've seen quite a few speed traps getting close to Brunswick though.

I really liked Bath driving through it. The downtown is great, and I have to ask you, how good is the candy store? That's top on Mom's list of important things . I remember seeing a small grocery store downtown on the east side of the main street...looks like a nice place as well.

Reid State Park is beautiful. I went there Labor Day and got some nice photos. I have to agree though, the bugs were uneblievable. I never saw so many mosquitos before. Worth it in the end though!

I'm guessing it would be best for her to find a lot that isn't adjacent to any marshy areas because of the bugs. We'll have to see what is available.

Thanks for the response!

Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 AM

162 posts, read 398,224 times
Hi Coastal, yes, the candy store is really good! They've only been there a couple of years and I think they've done very well. The bakery next to Reny's is more recent and its excellent. The owner is a doll. I forgot to mention Cafe Creme on Front Street is a cozy coffee shop that's also very popular. Oh, and it just occurred to me that there's also a candy store on the road to Georgetown. I can't remember the name right now, but assuming they're still there you'll notice it. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I stopped in with my candy-mad cousin a year or so ago and it was small but good. It's in a gray (I think) building set back a little on the left as you're heading from Arrowsic to Georgetown.

You're right; you did see a small grocery store downtown on the east side of Front Street. It's called Brackett's Market and it's very handy when you're downtown. They have a good butcher/meat department in particular. We also have a Shaw's on Route 1. No Hannaford, though. They tried to put one in on the northbound side of Route 1 but couldn't get permission because of access issues with the site.

Good point about avoiding marshy areas when buying a lot.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
My wife and i are looking to retire along the southern mid-coast.We presently live in a crowded , gridlocked area of New Jersey.It seems that the area from Brunswick up through Boothbay would be ideal. What does the impact of the heavy tourist season have on a peaceful lifestyle.
Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine