Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:17 AM

30 posts, read 69,947 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I am starting this thread because Forest Beekeeper suggested I introduce myself on a new thread which I thought I had before but realized I was probably just crashing other people's threads!
Anyway, I was born and raised in New England (NH) and lived mainly in Maine until I was 16 then moved to California to live with my Mom (parents split when I was young). Since then I have been back to visit at least once a year. I now live in Hawaii, on the beautiful island of Maui, but my hubby and I are over it! We've never felt at home here and now that most of my family lives in New England (Mom and brother moved back there too) we decided to move back to Maine! I know that it is very different from Hawaii so I don't need people to tell me that....although I am sure people will comment how much of a shock the weather will be! Honestly, I hate how hot it is here! I think I've sweated every day since we've been here!
On a positive note....we are moving in 6 weeks! I am so excited we will be there before Christmas and will actually be staying at my Dad's over the holidays. Now for the crazy part....we don't have a place of our own to live in and no jobs yet! I'm not so much worried about places, since we just want to rent for now and I've found plenty of rentals on craigslist that seem suitable. My husband works in the medical field as a Rad Tech and I am a stay at home Mom but also a massage therapist and a jackie of all trades (restaurant, customer service, etc.) We are pretty flexible about where we want to live but prefer to stay along the coast for the most part and close to some family members. I have family about an hour south of Bangor, near the mid coast area, and in Portland. We really like Portland because we like the city life (especially after feeling isolated on Maui) but not too much city, if you know what I mean. We are really looking anywhere from Bangor to Southern Maine. I know there are quite a few hospitals in that area and hoping to maybe find some clinics while we are there. We have been looking online for jobs but it seems so hard to find a job in Maine from Hawaii (especially with the 6 hour time difference) so I am sure we will have an easier time once we are there. As I said, we do have a place to stay for a while and some $ saved up but I know it won't be too long before we'll be needing to get settled.
Anyway, I guess I am just writing to introduce myself officially and ask for any advice, tips, ideas.....I've been poking around these forums for months now and enjoy reading everyone's posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
Welcome home in advance. You'll fit in well. Only Hawaiians are really feel at home there. I have been to Hawaii. Interesting place. I too have a job where I could live anywhere. We moved away from Maine for seven years once to find work and came home as most do.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,488,697 times
Congratulations. Sigh, New England Christmas with family. You are one lucky duck! Now, get to packing! Oh and welcome!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,135,775 times
Welcome back.

Here's a job website portal link:

Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 AM

37,229 posts, read 60,954,873 times
Woo Hoo!

Welcome to Maine!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,503 times
Oh my, lucky you!!! We are returning in the Spring, but would have loved to have made it for Christmas.

I know exactly what you mean about "city... but not too much city". We are the same, and will most likely end up in the Bangor area even though Waterville is my home town. There really isn't anything there, job-wise, these days. I can tell you that the hospital there (partnered with the one in Augusta) are in a major state of flux and, for your sake, I would probably steer hubby away from there. It's further inland than it sounds like you want anyway.

Good luck with your move and enjoy your first Christmas back home!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 AM

30 posts, read 69,947 times
Thanks everyone! I miss Maine and I miss all the friendly people of Maine! Mainers are the most helpful, kind people I've met!
Thanks for the link reloop! Very helpful!
BacktoNE: We had looked at a job at the Inland hospital (Waterville) a while back but it didn't work out. Is that the one you are talking about? Funny, growing up in Maine, I was young and don't remember a lot of the towns there....whenever I go back to visit, my family will take me to somewhere "new".....that's sort of how Waterville was for me. My dad lives in Knox but does a lot of his big shopping in Waterville since it's about the same distance as Bangor from his house. I like Waterville! It's one of the few "inland" towns that we are considering but not so sure how the jobs are, especially after your post!
Anyway as Dramamama said, I better get to packing! Will keep checking on here when I get a break!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 PM

9,296 posts, read 16,583,418 times
I know exactly how you feel about Hawaii. We visit there usually every year for 2 months and although we love our trips, after two months the island fever really gets to us. We retired north to upstate NY because we couldn't deal with the heat and humidity and New England has four beautiful unique seasons. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:41 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,503 times
HiToMe, Inland is actually a nice little hospital and is associated with the Bangor hospital.

I was referring to Mid Maine Medical which has 2 campuses in Waterville and 1 in Augusta. They are something of a mess these days, trying to consolidate services, lots of layoffs, etc.

Waterville is nice in that it has good schools, and is centrally located to almost everything. You can get to the coast or the ski slopes in just 1 hour, the Belgrades Lakes are just a few minutes away. And of course, there are always activities at Colby College.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,504,277 times
Talk about a challange, has to be tough to move off an island in the middle of the Pacific. Are you selling most of the big stuff? good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine