Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
christmas tree farm??
A place where people who don't own 1000 acres go to cut a tree!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesjs View Post
how far???
thank you for the wonderful generous offer
Exit 199. Just a tad North of Bangor.

No Christmas tree farm here though, just woodlot. But as you walk through it, there are some christmas-like trees.

I let folks go in and cut stuff. One guy only has a summer job, so each winter him and his wife make wreaths. Another guy is building a cordwood house, etc.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Last year we went to Beech Ridge Farm Maine Christmas Tree Association -BEECH RIDGE FARM in Scarborough. Its a nice "older couple" who own it and they will be in business for this season.....when their son retires from the military he may take it over....not sure. They are hoping to selll the farm and to move north to escape the encroaching march of development and "civilization". Nice people.
It is a very picturesque tree farm.....nice trees, nice folks...and a pleasant morning. They provide the saws and they have lots of great groomed trees!

Of course when I was a kid we went out and choose wild trees.....you had to turn the flat or bare spot toward the wall and use decorations judiciously to mask any other flaws.....but in this day and age most trees are picture perfect and the result of years of careful grooming. I now look for that perfect tree.....but my best memories were more about the white pine or balsam that we cut and dragged home from "out in the woods" and festooned with paper chains and strung pop corn and hung with leaded icicles that probably did a number on our central nervous systems.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

Of course when I was a kid we went out and choose wild trees.....you had to turn the flat or bare spot toward the wall and use decorations judiciously to mask any other flaws.....but in this day and age most trees are picture perfect and the result of years of careful grooming. I now look for that perfect tree.....but my best memories were more about the white pine or balsam that we cut and dragged home from "out in the woods" and festooned with paper chains and strung pop corn and hung with leaded icicles that probably did a number on our central nervous systems.
I am still much more of a "out in the woods" tree sort of gal. I cut one in a friend's woods after we went tipping and I learned how to make wreaths, Maine-style, last year. (We actually got the tree INTO the Subaru... it was pretty well stuffed... for the long ride home.) This year, wreath day is earlier for me so I'll have to visit a different woods with my saw. And yes, there will be paper chains (no kiddos so I have to make them myself now) and strings of popcorn and cranberries, if the latter are not too dear this year with the weather and all, and loads of other home made ornaments.

Last year's tree
http://www.ursai.net/blog/tree2.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I can look for more trees if you want to cut another! You can cut the butt off before putting it in the stand. I've seen truck loads going already.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Last year's tree
Oooh nice

Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
Well star, you know where I live, you can take one of ours, or go across the street and look.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM

164 posts, read 353,452 times
Thanks for all the places to go and look...starwalker love your tree sooo pretty...
two days left here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine