Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:37 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Me neither. In that case, he can afford it - "afford" being the key word there.

Call me judgemental, but I also don't have a problem getting after the kid that comes in completely covered with expensive body art/fancy clothes and/or yakking on a cell phone with more apps than the average debutante's - yet has no obvious job to pay for any of them.

Unfortunately, when discussions of this nature come up, those kids are the ones that get the most press even 'tho it's the others (like the one whose girlfriend had to drag him bodily in because his appendix burst and he could afford no coverage despite working) who actually need some help but either can't get it, or refuse it out of pride.

This is why I often use the word "quagmire" in my healthcare discussions.
Quagmire is a good word. Everyone who can pay something should have too, but on the same token it should be a reasonable amount that isn't breaking anyone's back, or be so ridiculous that they go to great lengths to avoid doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I know a Doc who "runs barefoot". He has no medical malpractice insurance. He works 3 or 4 days a week. He fishes a lot, but he makes house calls. He works with Maine's uninsured people such as guides, farmers, loggers and bush pilots. He takes cash or checks. He does minor surgery and sets the bones these people break. A visiting doctor asked a guide how he could possibly run a practice with no malpractice insurance.

The guide said it was simple. If anybody sues Doc we'll just drown him. This was somewhat disconcerting to the visiting Doc.

I'd love to have a Dr. like that here again. A doctor and a community working together; even water mishaps. We used to have that a few decades back. Maybe with some tort reform we could get back to that. I know it's not a cure-all but it would help I believe.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
I'm all for torte reform - not just in Maine but nationwide. It's way too easy to sue for heavy amounts of money in this day and age and malpractice insurance is so expensive that many doctors have walked away from the medical profession cause they couldn't afford it.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Quagmire is a good word. Everyone who can pay something should have too, but on the same token it should be a reasonable amount that isn't breaking anyone's back, or be so ridiculous that they go to great lengths to avoid doing so.

I could not agree more if I tried.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 956 times
I find this discussion on insurance amusing. the line of " if everyone has insurance the cost of it would go down", I'd suggest that we look at our auto insurance policies, and rethink that idea. I think we need to look at our halthcare system closer too. I had a blood typing done in a Bangor Hospital, came back wrong, this was discovered by a hospital in Mass! I had a piece of metal in my hand ~ it was quite painful ~ for 10 years. a hospital got paid to remove it at the original injury, they got paid for a "follow up visit", a course of antibiotics and a few pain killers, my employer paid for 3 days out of work, I suffered with it for 10 years mentioning it at every doctors visit, finaly freaked at the doctors office so bad they called security! then a appointment was made to remove alledged hunk of metal, again hospital was paid, again a follow up visit,another script of pain killer and antibiotics, and 3 days loss of hand use. This is not "excuseable", I would invite a Doctor to have me rotate his tires, or do a "brake job" on his car in the same fashion as I was treated. No the insurance companies are trying to survive, but look what they have to work with ! No, I clearly see how the insurance people feel. I have a chronic blockage in my L.A.D., it was diagnosed as "acid reflex" syndrome by a Unity Doctor, I went to a Doctor in Oakland, he told me I was fine, made a appointment with my cardioligist for a stress test/scan, results? 100 % blockage. it irks me to no end that the other Doctors were paid, far as I am concerned they not only endangered my life, they endangered all of you people too. I was driving tanker trucks loaded with gasoline/diesel fuel/propane. the insurance question at this point is mute ~ healthcare that is compitent and effective is the problem here in maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine