Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 PM

20 posts, read 58,922 times

Advertisements

We are relocating in 2 weeks - we were thinking about Poland...any comments, suggestions, positives, negatives...school reps...any insight would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Have you ever been there??
Poland is what I would call a "drive through" town.
We always drove through it on the way to somewhere else like the ski areas or the lakes region.

They have a spring there.
Poland is kind of spread out. There isn't really much of a downtown Poland.
Rte 26 is Main Street. Upper, Middle, and Lower Range ponds are there.(Pronounced: Rang, like a bell, pond)
There is pretty good Rainbow Trout fishing in those ponds.
It's close to Lewiston and Auburn via route 11.
There isn't much to say about Poland. It's just kind of there.
There's nothing wrong with Poland but nothing outstanding that I can think of either.

Last edited by Maineah; 11-12-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
poland?its a country in europe

Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,055 times
I was at the Liston-Clay/Ali fight. Stayed in the same hotel at Poland Springs as Liston and his sparring partners. For a high school kid at the time, it was an exciting time. The sports figures and other people I met was something. As for the fight, wellllllllllll....let's say it was over quick.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Why Poland? Just trying to get an idea of what your looking for.

My folks just baught a home there and there are some very pretty areas and opportunities to buy a home with land.. Like Maineah said it is very spread out. I think if you lived there and had kids in school it might feel more close knit then that. I worked at the Inn for a summer where most of the people working there are young men and women from Poland and I thought they were a wonderfull group of kids and I actullay liked the feel of the community.

My folks baught a home on the border of Auburn so though they pay less taxes they still get to take advantage of living close to a larger town with shopping, hospitals, and such..

Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I was at the Liston-Clay/Ali fight. Stayed in the same hotel at Poland Springs as Liston and his sparring partners. For a high school kid at the time, it was an exciting time. The sports figures and other people I met was something. As for the fight, wellllllllllll....let's say it was over quick.
That WAS a quick fight. Nice memory to have!. That hotel was quite a sight before it burned. Too bad it was never rebuilt to it's former glory.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM
JC3

Maineah, at the time ,if memory serves me right,there were actually 3 buildings. One was the main hotel where most of the sportswriters and others stayed, another was a more modern one where Liston's people stayed, the money people, and the third was where he trained and sparred. My dad and myself were 2 of the very few who stayed in this one. I would watch him spar and even got to talk to him and his sparring partners. I met 5 ex-world champs including Joe Louis and Jersey Joe Walcott, Robt Goulet (the story behind his screwing up the National Anthem is a good one), Jimmy Cannon, one of the best ever sportswriters from NY..and many other people. For a kid in high school, it was my first time staying in Maine and one I will never forget. We sat right behind the press rows for the fight and went right into the press tent to watch the replays right after Liston was counted out.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,440 times
Maineah, help me out. Who was the other local boxer guy out of Lewiston, mid 80's kid. They had great hopes for him, was supposed to be the next Ali. Why am I thinking Gadbois....or something like that. Juststoppinby must know who I'm referring to. Are there any boxing rings around anymore? Surely guys/ gals must still box or has this sport died?

Remember walking into Grazi's in Lisbon and seeing all of the old Graziano boxing photos in black and white? Great memorabilia from a great era.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Ahhh, upper, middle and lower Range Ponds are positively wonderful! I think the middle one has a great public beach that is wonderful for families!

As for living there, may I suggest beautiful New Gloucester or Gray, just down Rt. 26 instead. They are both a bit more livelier!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 AM
JC3

Island Mermaid....was it Joey Gamache?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine