Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 35,077 times

Advertisements

I want to ask which internet provider are you guys using right now in Calais? Is time warner available in this area?

Also, I am in Calais today and found out that my cell phone is not working. It is roaming. What cell phone provider should I change to? Even I bought TRACFONE in walmart, it is also roaming. **** me off because when I ask the people in walmart, they said it works in this town and I can't return it back anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,253,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballow123 View Post
I want to ask which internet provider are you guys using right now in Calais? Is time warner available in this area?

Also, I am in Calais today and found out that my cell phone is not working. It is roaming. What cell phone provider should I change to? Even I bought TRACFONE in walmart, it is also roaming. **** me off because when I ask the people in walmart, they said it works in this town and I can't return it back anymore.
I have us cellular and it works fine in Calais.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,494,315 times
If you didn't buy your tracfone in Calais, it will not work properly. Calais is an EXCEPTION to the normal tracfone market. Go to Walmart and buy the 9.95 tracfone, but make sure the model number ends in a C. The same exact phone with a model number that ends in a G will not work in this part of Maine.

G- GSM (ATT, T-mobile, and some Canadian carriers) We're the 3% of America that ATT does NOT cover
C- CDMA (Verizon, UScellular and Canadian Aliant)

Tracfone makes much more money off the G phones that use those carriers, but in places like Maine, they do sell the C phones. Problem is when out of our area with your tracfone, will cost you double minutes.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM

473 posts, read 715,726 times
att has a tower in calais. canada has towers that are more powerful and override their signal. if your on canadian time, your on a canadian tower. us cell is pretty good about not making you pay the roaming charges, att not so much. us cell has better (more reliable) service in this neck of the woods.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 35,077 times
Currently, I am using t-mobile and there is no service at all in Calais. My plan is to switch to AT&T since I checked my address on this website (Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T), it showed me that there is a good signal Calais area. I do not think I would like to switch to US cellular because I cannot use my phone with their service (iPhone). What do you guys think about AT&T?

About TRACFONE, I bought it at walmart in Calais but it is still not working in the area. I probably bought the model number ends with G. However, this morning, I went back to walmart and try to return it even though the phone is out of box. They want to refund my money back. I really like walmart, they provide the best customer services.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,253,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballow123 View Post
Currently, I am using t-mobile and there is no service at all in Calais. My plan is to switch to AT&T since I checked my address on this website (Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T), it showed me that there is a good signal Calais area. I do not think I would like to switch to US cellular because I cannot use my phone with their service (iPhone). What do you guys think about AT&T?

About TRACFONE, I bought it at walmart in Calais but it is still not working in the area. I probably bought the model number ends with G. However, this morning, I went back to walmart and try to return it even though the phone is out of box. They want to refund my money back. I really like walmart, they provide the best customer services.

Hate to suggest this, well maybe not hate to, but, depending on how much coverage there is with the att tower, you may not be using the iphone anyway. I used to have att, and the coverage was very bad in the downeast area.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM

473 posts, read 715,726 times
i live downeast and switched to att from us cell. i'd recomend us cell.
att will tell you they have towers and coverage, and they do, but its spotty. in calais the canadian towers override the us signals and you get roaming. us cell is nicer about taking those off, att will do it once or twice and then tell you its your responsibility to notice when you are roaming (canadian time). i had to get a block on the canadian towers which means my service is much more spotty in calais now, and almost non existant between calais and machias. another feature i dont like is that att phones have app buttons installed on your phones that you can not remove. accidentally hitting one of those buttons incurs a $2 data charge (unless you have a data plan). you dont even get a "you are about to use data, do you want to continue" type message and again, att is not particularly friendly about removing those charges after the first time. they will offer to block data, but then you loose your ability to send and recieve pix and vids. their helpful customer service people will tell you it is your responsibility to make sure you lock your phone.
as soon as i can, we will be switching back.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,494,315 times
ATT coverage goes about 5 miles out of Calais, and then you don't pick it up until Ellsworth when you go south. Going west on 9 you don't get service until about 10 miles out of Bangor. You can Roam on the Canadians, but that is going to be expensive. If you are happy with service right in the Calais area, and do not travel much, ATT is okay, otherwise, forget it.

Even US cellular does not do too hot with data. I bought an Android smartphone, and the phone is a great computer, but a terrible phone. I can't send or receive mms outside the immediate Calais area. I am going to sell the smart phone, take the hit on the contract, and go back to a plain tracfone. In this area there is no sense having a smart phone. You can text using the Canadian towers, but you can't surf the internet. You can't make calls with a wi-fi connection either.

We are the 3% of America that ATT does not cover!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine