Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,347 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what the consensus was in Maine about real Christmas trees vs the artificial ones? This has probably been hashed out before. You would think that Maine being the Pine Tree State, Augusta would ban all sales of artificial trees I'm a real tree guy myself.
For all you other "real tree" guys/gals, here's a tip I picked up recently.
On your Christmas tree stand, remove the four L-shaped threaded bolts that hold the tree trunk secure. Discard them and replace them with 4 carriage bolts (they have round heads). Cut off the heads with a hack saw and replace them with 2 hex head nuts with a lock washer in between. After tightening the nuts together I dinged up the threads by the nuts so the nuts can't come loose. Screw these new bolts into the threaded holes in the tree stand and you now are able to take your battery drill/driver (insert appropriate size hex nut driver in chuck) and tighten bolts to tree by just pulling trigger on drill instead of turning by hand. (showed this to my DW and she was impressed)
The bolts I installed in my stand are 4" long and 5/16" diameter. Nuts took a 1/2" nut driver. Your sizes may vary.
Now I can't wait to get the tree and put the stand to the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 PM

98 posts, read 197,619 times
Gotsta have a real tree, IMHO, even in my single abode... I don't care if it is a "Charlie Brown" type... At least the smell of the real McCoy puts me in the mood of Christmas.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,372 times
If you live in Maine, real-end of discussion!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:20 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Oh, you're talking about trees.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
LMAO! Real or silicone?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:11 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
LMAO! Real or silicone?

I don't care if they are even filled with mud.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
ayuh, I was thinking "fake! the real ones tried to kill me!".... then I read the OP....

So, real tree.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
That's where my mind was gong too. Or at least wanted to. But real. Nothing like having that spruce smell fill the house.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,009 times
real tree here.. still upholding the family tradition of cutting one in the woods (not our woods, unfortunately). This is on my list for Sunday, my next day off.

A couple of years I was not able to find somwhere to cut a real one (NOT in Maine) so I used my Core Sound Tree indoors with all my usual decorations added.

This year my collection of Core Sound trees will be put up outside, though... soon.. and hoping for a bit of snow to set them off!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
On your Christmas tree stand, remove the four L-shaped threaded bolts that hold the tree trunk secure. Discard them and replace them with 4 carriage bolts (they have round heads). Cut off the heads with a hack saw and replace them with 2 hex head nuts with a lock washer in between. After tightening the nuts together I dinged up the threads by the nuts so the nuts can't come loose. Screw these new bolts into the threaded holes in the tree stand and you now are able to take your battery drill/driver (insert appropriate size hex nut driver in chuck) and tighten bolts to tree by just pulling trigger on drill instead of turning by hand. (showed this to my DW and she was impressed)
The bolts I installed in my stand are 4" long and 5/16" diameter. Nuts took a 1/2" nut driver. Your sizes may vary.
Now I can't wait to get the tree and put the stand to the test.
I know those L shaped bolts are a pain (my stand has eight of them and they are hard to turn). But why in the world would you buy carriage bolts only to cut the heads off to make your own hex head bolts when you can just buy ready made hex head bolts the right size for a lot less money and no messing around making the bolts ? Or if you couldn't find the right size bolts it would have been easier to use all-thread rather than carriage bolts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine