Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:08 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Snow reminder:
Park facing the road.
So you can do a good jump over the "wall of snow" provided by our state trucks.
silly Peachie... the plow guy takes care of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
It never got out of the 20's here today. Now the temps are dropping fast. Got the woodstove cranked.
My new $11,000 "energy efficient" oil fired boiler is turning out to be a PITA! Three hours to raise the tempurature of the house five degrees!!! I want old smokey back!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It never got out of the 20's here today. Now the temps are dropping fast. Got the woodstove cranked.
My new $11,000 "energy efficient" oil fired boiler is turning out to be a PITA! Three hours to raise the tempurature of the house five degrees!!! I want old smokey back!
Heh, heh...kinda like those "state-of-the-art" environmentally-friendly low flow toilets that you have to stand there and hold the handle on until 75 gallons of H2O develops enough of a whirlpool to sufficiently clean the bowl.

Well, at least you have the old standby woodstove.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Heh, heh...kinda like those "state-of-the-art" environmentally-friendly low flow toilets that you have to stand there and hold the handle on until 75 gallons of H2O develops enough of a whirlpool to sufficiently clean the bowl.

Well, at least you have the old standby woodstove.
Got one of those lovely things too. We tell people that it takes three flushes for a number two. Now that's efficient!

Old 12-11-2009, 06:37 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
silly Peachie... the plow guy takes care of that!

The worst part of snow I can think of, is the mound of compacted snow the plows push into one's driveway (actually, there's one other worst part, but I'm saving that for a later post).

Do you mean that you can hire someone to clear that for you?

Old 12-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Got one of those lovely things too. We tell people that it takes three flushes for a number two. Now that's efficient!
Got one of those low-flush toilets here, too.

Many times while using it, I've daydreamed about grabbing by the neck the geniuses who foisted such an atrocity upon mankind, and sticking their heads into the bowl while I try to flush my poop!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
The worst part of snow I can think of, is the mound of compacted snow the plows push into one's driveway (actually, there's one other worst part, but I'm saving that for a later post).

Do you mean that you can hire someone to clear that for you?
That or else she now has a machine that can do it for her.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That or else she now has a machine that can do it for her.

That I do, but I haven't got it back from the shop where I took it to be tuned up. I'll get it back on payday next week.

But Tom The Plow Guy was here and made short work of the drive and the town plow guy's gift.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
That I do, but I haven't got it back from the shop where I took it to be tuned up. I'll get it back on payday next week.

But Tom The Plow Guy was here and made short work of the drive and the town plow guy's gift.
What kind of machine do you have--can an ordinary snowblower clear the mound the plows leave?

Why do you have such a machine, if you still have a plow guy--is it the plow guy unreliable; if so, is that typical of plow guys?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Plow guys are for the most part reliable ...after all they get paid by the job. People keep a snow blower to clear sidewalks, walkways and the end of the driveway where it gets plowed in by the town or state trucks. Some do their whole driveway with them. I'm not a big fan of snowblowers. They're slow and you always get covered in snow when using one. They are useless in wet snow. This last storm we had it rained alot on top of the new snow. A snowblower would not have been able to clear the heavy wet mounds of snow the town plow left in front of our house. If you did not get your driveway cleared by the late afternoon it froze into a block of cement that would have to be chiseled out. A front end loader on a tractor makes short work out of situations like that one. Two passes and you're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine