Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on your Maine home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Congratulations on your Maine home!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 AM

13 posts, read 35,296 times
Congrats on your new home. We close on ours the 4th!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
Its always worthwhile to hire a certified home inspector. We did that for our property in BH on MDI. He found that the house was basically sound. If you are moving in right away, you don't need a rental agent. But if you do need a rental agent, finding one that you will trust to take care of things is harder than it might seem at first glance.

zarathu

Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
We will move forward and be happy that we finally found what we were looking for and deal with issues as they arise. Hopefully we won't find many more surprises. We had a plumber check the plumbing, a boiler man check the boiler and an electrician check all of the electrical. I will go over there now and continue cleaning and just be happy to have my own home again!
I can attest that YOU did everything right, and yes, just moving forward and being happy in your new home is truly what it's all about.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Great!

Welcome

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
We did buy the house through a Realtor. It was not in forclosure but would have been as of today according to the bank. The sellers listed it hoping to sell it and help save their credit somewhat.
We will move forward and be happy that we finally found what we were looking for and deal with issues as they arise. Hopefully we won't find many more surprises. We had a plumber check the plumbing, a boiler man check the boiler and an electrician check all of the electrical. I will go over there now and continue cleaning and just be happy to have my own home again!
Sounds like a short sale and yes, it's very difficult to get a seller to contribute anything towards repairs in that situation - I've had a couple of distressed sales this year where my buyers did or paid for work knowing that if the house fell through they would be out, but they wanted the houses and when using FHA or USDA Rural Development financing, there are certain items that must be repaired (peeling paint, satisfactory water test for the well) before the underwriter will let the loan close. If it was short sale, you jumped through countless hoops and hopefully got a significant discount on the house for your trouble.

I'm not clear if you had your own agent or not when you say you bought through a REALTOR, but if one or both agents knew (or should have known) about the material defect in the house you could file a complaint with the Mail Real Estate Commission, as well as attempt to recover your out of pocket expenses - make sure you save your receipts. As you know, with older houses things do come up regularly and I make sure I counsel my buyers very carefully when they express that desire.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Ah, foreclosure. I think that folks, banks under foreclosure are not bound by regular laws as far as disclosure is concerned. Good thing is, you proibably got the house for alot less than it would have been had it sold under a realtor.
The house was not in foreclosure, it was a short sale which means the seller's proceeds were not enough to cover the outstanding debt on the property and the lender(s) approved the purchase price after the buyer and seller came to agreement. In a short sale or regular sale, the seller is required to disclose all material defects on the property and apparently neglected to answer correctly the question about the roof leaking while they owned or before they owned the property. If the house had actually been owned by the lender (known as REO or bank-owned) the disclosure would usually state that the current owner has never been in the property, however the agent that they hire does do an inspection and should disclose any known defects. The buyer has to decide if the price they are paying for the distressed property + the anticipated repairs offset the price they would pay for a house in better condition.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyl View Post
Congrats on your new home. We close on ours the 4th!
Congrats and welcome to the boards. Whofanme.. great to see your always helpful self on here!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 AM

Glad to do it drama, thanks for reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine