Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times

Advertisements

That's definitely encouraging. I am so sick of owing down here and I beleive will be in the same "not owing" boat when we eventually move up for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:19 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Forest,
You just need to remember that you live in a small unorganized township, therefore your taxes are going to be alot cheaper. Not all people are able to do that, or maybe they don't want to do that. Taxes will be far less where you live than where I live. And I am in the country, albeit a 15 minute drive to the city and all conveniences. My taxes are half of what they are in Auburn.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:50 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Forest,
You just need to remember that you live in a small unorganized township, therefore your taxes are going to be alot cheaper. Not all people are able to do that, or maybe they don't want to do that. Taxes will be far less where you live than where I live. And I am in the country, albeit a 15 minute drive to the city and all conveniences. My taxes are half of what they are in Auburn.
I understand, after all it takes us 20 minutes to get into the city. My wife commutes.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
I really can't understand how many of you think that your taxes, insurance costs and costs of living are so high here in Maine.

At our winter home in WV, property taxes are double what we pay in Eastport, sales tax is 6% on everything including food. It costs $160. a month for forced air gas heating on the budget plan, year round. Electricity is cheaper here, we don't need air conditioners in the summer on this island.

Insurance is a whole lot cheaper and I say this with authority as I am a licensed insurance agent in Maine as well as WV.

I just don't get why ya'll think it's so expensive to live in Maine.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
As FB has pointed out before, I think it's because people don't understand the difference between "taxes" and "tax burden". They don't get the tax/income ratio that is what the "high burden" statistic is based on. At least this is my understanding. I've run the numbers on more than one occasion, comparing our taxes/living costs in Texas and what they will be in the mid-coast area. Our taxes here, item for item with the exclusion on vehicle registration, are higher than we will be paying Maine. Our property tax alone is nearly double what we will pay in our chosen town in Maine and our local sales tax on all non-food items is 8.25%. Beat that one!

From my calculations, the higher cost of living in Maine stems primarily from the fact that DH will make approximately 10% less in Maine than he does in Texas. That is based on the average payscale in his field that I've been able to find on salary.com and may not even be completely accurate, so we'll see when we get there how it actually stacks up. Fortunately, we also operate a successful home-based business, and that income is not going to be based on Maine's income stats, so that will help tremendously.

Maybe we need to start a "Tax Payer Education" thread.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM

I just this morning paid the 'excise' taxes on one of our vehicles. It has Ct plates on it, and I am preparing to shift over to Maine plates. So before getting Maine plates from the DMV, I had to first go into a nearby town with a city clerk and pay their excise taxes.

I paid $5.

Down in Ct the annual property taxes on this same vehicle has been around $150.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I just this morning paid the 'excise' taxes on one of our vehicles. It has Ct plates on it, and I am preparing to shift over to Maine plates. So before getting Maine plates from the DMV, I had to first go into a nearby town with a city clerk and pay their excise taxes.

I paid $5.

Down in Ct the annual property taxes on this same vehicle has been around $150.
Forest - Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't want EVERYONE in the WORLD to know that this whole complaining about taxes thing is a charade 'cause then they''ll all want to move here and make Maine a horrible place like where they came from. Get with the program!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM

LOL

Ooops

Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Wish it was $5 on my truck. Just paid it today and it was $89.36. But still cheaper than on a brand new vehicle, so I cannot complain too loudly. LOl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine