Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times

Advertisements

I love the cold. Its 78 now, and humidity is 65%. That's too much for me. I can't wait until its back to being 65 and below, and humidity at 30% or below.

But if you come from humid 90 degree Florida, you may never get warm. You don't just move some place because you saw a nice house for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 AM

91 posts, read 103,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Excuse me, just what do you mean?

I have lived in many places besides Florida. I currently live in red neck land, where I don't dare tell anyone I am gay! Or are you talking about the weather? I am no fan of hot weather.

I am an outdoors person. I like to go biking and hiking. Here it's too hot to do either in the summer. I love the snow. I lived in the Northwest before moving here to take care of my elderly mother. I really don't like Florida at all.
I completely understand what you mean! My husband and I live in the Orlando area and we are so ready to leave Florida (neither of us are from here). We hate that it's hot 6-8 months out of the year, and we hate the congestion. And to hear Pasco County referred to "metropolitan" made me giggle. Yes, you are in redneck part of the state.

We are looking at Penobscot and Hancock counties. (My husband is from CT, but through the Coast Guard lived in Hancock County for 3 years, Southwest Harbor and Ellsworth). My husband wanted to move back but just had to convince me. We spent our honeymoon all over Maine and I fell in love. He thought he would ease me into New England by moving us to Portland but I'm the one that's pushing Penobscot and Hancock counties, much to his surprise. We love the outdoors and everything else everyone loves about Maine, but we've been doing our research for a few years (well I have, he already knows he wants to go back) and so far my only concern is the length of Maine winters (not so much the intensity, as I like cold weather) and I've never driven through a snowstorm so my husband is concerned about that aspect.

My dad was in the military and we moved every three years, plus I went to college in a state where I knew no one and had a wonderful experience. The best way to assimilate to a new area is to embrace it and accepted it for what it is, more so if it was your choice to be there. In Florida we have several New Yorkers that move here (by choice), then spend all their time complaining about Florida being inferior to NY, it's obnoxious. I would never move to Maine and then complain that it's not as good as Florida, that would be absolutely ridiculous. It's also ridiculous to try to change Maine in any way to be more like Florida. With any move, it's important to fully understand what you're getting yourself into and remind yourself of why you left in the first place.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
but you can make maine like florida in one aspect... Heat...

All you need to do is release a aresol can into the atmosphere every day, and let global warming do the rest...

Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I don't know much about the border crossing between Canada and the US at Madawaska/Edmunston (was through there a few years ago though) because I usually cross at Calais/St. Stephen (several times a year, two towns separated by about a 30 foot long bridge), but if the Canadian Customs officers there will still let one cross with only a driver's license, I think they won't have jobs long. I know I can't go either direction without a passport slightly lower down in Maine, nor can I at any other border crossing into or out of Canada that I know of.

I am both Canadian and American (carry both passports) and have crossed the border between these two countries, at many well and lesser known places across the country from east to west, hundreds of times in my life ... and I have ALWAYS found it much more onerous to cross into Canada than out of it. And that doesn't even consider that what you can bring into Canada is far less than what you can take out of it.

So, just fyi, it is the law of both countries that you need a passport these days to enter either country. Wouldn't want to mislead anyone. Not sure if the comment related to crossing with a license only was (for some reason I cannot fathom) meant to imply that Canada was a backwoods nation or just that the 'atmosphere' is relaxed between these two towns because of their proximity and common history. Just thought I would clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine