Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,957 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've just recently moved to Maine from Oregon. I have always been a West Coast Girl and Never an East Coast Girl, so you will need to take my advise with a grain of salt.
I found the weather to be bitter cold, and have heard it was a mild winter. aughh....
We moved to the Oakland area, out in the country a bit. Still only 20 minutes to Augusta the state capitol. I like Augusta, lots of shopping and fun little places to eat.
I do like the Oakland school system, my daughter is on the honor roll, she was invited to be a honorary paige for a day at the Senate. She was able go today and we found our Senator Libby Mitchell a delight.
Maine does have a lot of taxes, a lot more than I'm used to, I feel like they tax everything! The cost of food is higher, electricity is high, and having an oil tank is new to me. We bought our house in November of 2005, and since then we have put a wood pellet stove in the walkout basement, and inverted our fireplace to open gas. My husband is Australian and has only been in the US a little over 5 years now. I thought I was cold here, he is freezing his bum off.....LOL..
I have found some people to be a little stand offish, but most of them have been very sweet.
I had a great real estate agent, he started helping us when we were still in Oregon. We made a trail run for a few days here and met with him.
I'm not sure how long we will be living here in Maine, but I'm finding the more I relax and just give in to the different culture, instead of comparing it so much to the West Coast, I'm starting to find the Charm of Maine.
Good luck in your new adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 105,630 times
hi, I live in Sullivan Maine. It's a very small (population just over 1000) coastal community. Property in this town didn't go up in value pretty much the entire time I was growing up. But wow, the last few years it's going up in a big way! One of the things I love here is the natural beauty. When driving into Sullivan you have to cross the Hancock-Sullivan bridge - in the back ground you see the mountain tops, on each side the ocean, it's not uncommon to spot an eagle soaring over the bay. The sunsets are breath-taking. I haven't locked my house doors much more than two or three times and only then just to keep my kids friends from walking in while I was trying to rest! It's a way of life you don't find much anywhere else. I often think of moving from here...just to get away from the very long dark winters. But when I visit other places - they just don't compare to the feeling of peace Maine offers. But I do continue to look for the "perfect" mix...a longer summer and a very short winter (if any at all), and low crime, I guess the same simple life style Maine offers with perfect weather!! Any suggestions?? As far as activities in Sullivan, there isn't too much going on. Bingo if you're into that. And once in awhile a local dance where it's a BYOB. Christmas is a sweet time for the little ones. Down in the park there are Christmas carols, a bomb fire and Santa comes in on the town Fire Truck to deliver gifts. In the summer we have Sullivan Daze. The day starts off with a parade which consist of all the surrounding towns fire trucks, the brownies, some kids on mini-bikes, dogs with their owners - that sort of thing. There again in the park local artist and just anyone wishing to sell handmade items or whatever set up along with food vendors. Bands play and at the end of the day - fire works. If you move ito Sullivan you won't know anyone....but they will know you! good luck with your search and if you don't mind winter - Maine is wonderfully safe, peaceful and beautiful. Our state moto, "Maine, the way life should be" is true. Be well, Bonnie

Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
I was curious about something else, if anyone could answer or give an opinion. Real Estate. I am a realtor in NJ and I was wondering, should we move, how well will my career succeed in Maine. I've talked to realtors up there very briefly, but a salesperson is a salesperson, any broker would be happy to have me because they split my commission. I want a general opinion. Is the real estate business good up there (mainly the southern/seacoast, greater portland area maybe as far up as bar harbor)? How about properties selling for seasonal purposes (summer homes, etc.) and/or rentals? Do you, as Mainers, see a lot of homes being sold or purchased? Thank you.

Also, what about self-employment, such as construction and contracting. My husband has his own business and would rather do that there than throw it away to work for someone else. Do "handyman" businesses do well up there too? thanks again!!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
I was curious about something else, if anyone could answer or give an opinion. Real Estate. I am a realtor in NJ and I was wondering, should we move, how well will my career succeed in Maine. I've talked to realtors up there very briefly, but a salesperson is a salesperson, any broker would be happy to have me because they split my commission. I want a general opinion. Is the real estate business good up there (mainly the southern/seacoast, greater portland area maybe as far up as bar harbor)? How about properties selling for seasonal purposes (summer homes, etc.) and/or rentals? Do you, as Mainers, see a lot of homes being sold or purchased? Thank you.

Also, what about self-employment, such as construction and contracting. My husband has his own business and would rather do that there than throw it away to work for someone else. Do "handyman" businesses do well up there too? thanks again!!
hi, I'm not in Real Estate but I can give you my opinion based on my experiences looking for homes and having friends that sell Real Estate. The Portland area seems to be a very good place for selling. The agents I have worked with all appear to be successful and busy. The Ellsworth area and surrounding towns...not a great buisness. Most of the agents have full time jobs and sell real estate part time. The ones I know say they couldn't maintain if they only did real estate. But as far as your husband is concerned, construction does pretty well in most parts of Maine. There also seems to be a lot of work for the "handyman". Both my sons are in construction and stay working all year. They are either working on "summer homes" building or doing remodeling. We have a lot of old homes that seem to be in constant need of repair. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Hi Bonnie,

I just read your response, thank you. I'm curious about something though. You said that theThe Portland area seems to be a very good place for selling. From my research, I agree with you. However, you then said that the agents you have worked with all appear to be busy and successful, then you talk about Ellsworth and then the agents you know. Are these all the same people or are your agent friends, Ellsworth agents and agents that have helped you different people from different areas? Not to be funny, I'm just curious. I took it to mean that the agents who've helped you were in the Portland area, your friends are from the Ellsworth area...didn't know if I was right or wrong. What type of agencies are up there (I actually am more interested in the greater portland area), are they more mom and pop agencies or are they Century 21, Weichert, Coldwell, etc? Thanks again!!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
Hi Bonnie,

I just read your response, thank you. I'm curious about something though. You said that theThe Portland area seems to be a very good place for selling. From my research, I agree with you. However, you then said that the agents you have worked with all appear to be busy and successful, then you talk about Ellsworth and then the agents you know. Are these all the same people or are your agent friends, Ellsworth agents and agents that have helped you different people from different areas? Not to be funny, I'm just curious. I took it to mean that the agents who've helped you were in the Portland area, your friends are from the Ellsworth area...didn't know if I was right or wrong. What type of agencies are up there (I actually am more interested in the greater portland area), are they more mom and pop agencies or are they Century 21, Weichert, Coldwell, etc? Thanks again!!
If I understand your question correctly: In regards to agents in the Ellsworth area I do have a few friends that work in real estate in this area. But while in the market to buy and sell - my friends weren't working real estate - so I worked with agents in this area (Ellsworth) to help find and sell property in this area. The companies you'll find in the Ellsworth area and the Portland area are both National companies (Century 21, Prudential, Coldwell etc.) and also some smaller locally owned companies. Although I've never heard of Weichert it doesn't mean it's not around, I've just never heard of it. When I looked for property in the Portland area I had several agents that worked with me - they were from the Portland area. I hope I answered your question correctly and gave you the info you're looking for. Have a good day.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 23,616 times
I am also looking to relocate to Maine. I have a daughter who will be a sophomore in high school next year so a good educational system is something I am looking for. We also have 5 horses so a horse friendly community would be nice also. What can anyone tell me about Dresden and Palmyra? I am looking at properties in these 2 towns. Thank you.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 23,616 times
Default Need info on Dresden and Palmyra

Hi all, I am looking at 2 properties, one in Dresden and one in Palmyra. We have 5 horses so would like a horse friendly community. Also have a daughter in high school so would like a good school system. Am looking for a nice small town atmosphere where education and commmunity involvement are important. Thank you.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 75,991 times
Default northern maine

I live in the county. I would like to move further south to a coastal town. Is there any coastal towns that are as affordable as the county?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 114,790 times
I'm a little concerned about one of the above replies... the one regarding teen pregnancy, drugs, violence, etc. I am 18 years old and not from an extremely wealthy family. I've grown up my whole life in Gorham, and not once have I, nor have any of my friends, done drugs, drank, or gotten ourselves into any trouble with the law. I think that there is plenty to do, my friends and I go to the movies, bowling, camping, hiking, biking, out to eat, the mall, arcades, and all the other things normal teens do. My school has a population of about 800 students, and of that 800 this year about 3 were pregnant. I think the drug + pregnancy problem (found mainly in the bad parts of portland/westbrook) are more of a parenting issue than a lack of things to do issue. I wouldn't let these factors discourage any decision to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine