Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,214 times

Advertisements

Last year I posted on here asking for guidance in where to start in regards to moving to Maine and some of you really helped and showed me paths that I had no idea even existed. Thanks again for that but now I’m back and need some help again … sorry for the wall of text.

When I was younger, my parents had a house on an island in Boothbay. We used to spend every summer up there and I fell in love with the Maine coast and being on the water. Long story short, someone on here suggested boat building school and I am now currently enrolled at iyrs in their systems program.

My original goal was to stay around Newport RI for a couple of years, perfect my skills, get some connections in the industry and slowly try to work my way to Maine. I also had a fiancé originally from Connecticut and this was closer to her family, so we were all happy or so it seemed. She left me last week for her ex and I’m absolutely devastated.

So basically I’m now at the point where I have this education come May (it’s a one year program) and no ties holding me back to this area. In May we go on an intern-ship and in previous years 90% of students were hired afterwards. So basically, wherever I take my intern-ship is probably where I’m going to stay. I’ve read other posts and I hear that everyone suggests a trip (or many trips for that matter) to make sure that you enjoy the area before you finalize everything and actually move.

That is exactly what I’m going to do over Christmas break and I plan on driving all the way up to Lubec and working my way down the coast. Probably spending one or two days in each, Lubec, Jonesport, Bar Harbor, Camden and Rockland, Boothbay, and eventually Portland.

Anybody from those area’s that could suggest cheap lodging? Good places to eat/drink and meet new friends? I’m a typical 27 year old guy and I guess maybe I’m looking for that quaint little area where I can make new friends but still get away from it all when I’d like. Yea yea I know, wishful thinking but I figured ‘tis the season so why not just take the effort and go look.

I know beggars can’t be choosers but I also have a puppy that I can’t leave alone right now so dog friendly lodging is best … Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,980,011 times
You need to start a few miles north of Lubec in Eastport where Husson University has a Boat School. It's a great program that's growing every year. I think they have 1 and 2 year programs.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM

3,470 posts, read 7,262,401 times
Your 1 year at Irys will get you an internship. That's about it, unless you are very good at systems. Nobody is hiring in boatbuilding now.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,155,975 times
AustinB, you are a ship builder, aren't you?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,480,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Your 1 year at Irys will get you an internship. That's about it, unless you are very good at systems. Nobody is hiring in boatbuilding now.
Things will turn around. BBY will survive. It's the reputation and integrity that will keep you guys going into the future.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 AM

Well, I work at a boat yard. The owner of our yard is one of the board of directors of IRYS.

Things in the boatbuilding world will turn around, but for the short term...

We all think that this will start to shake out the latter part of this year. Depends on what else happens in Washington.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 AM

Hinckley jet boats were doing some hiring, in the glass shop. Morris Yachts is sort of holding a turn. Nobody else inthis area is looking to hire any one.

There was a yard in mid coastal me. that was reported to have some sort of backlog of stuff to build. It was around Damariscota/Bristol I think.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,480,323 times
Hodgdon Yachts, cold molded luxury yachts, Scheherazade, Antonisa, Yorel

East Boothbay

Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 AM

70 posts, read 157,492 times
Folks are certainly hiring in the boatbuilding industry. We own a small yard in the mid-coast area and just brought on someone new this month and are still looking for an additional person to hire in the new year. I stopped by another yard this week and he has 2 new boats on the go. Last month I attended the annual meeting of the Maine Marine Trades Association, with over 70 builders throughout the state represented, and things definitely on the upswing.

That being said, there are still alot of very experienced boatbuilders out of work and looking for jobs. As a newcomer to the industry, you need to be flexible and do anything around the yard just to get your foot in. Get out there, visit as many yards as you can and meet as many people as possible.

But in answer your your primary question,the Flagship Inn in Boothbay Harbor is a great place to stay in the mid-coast area. We stayed there many times over the past two years when we were exploring places to settle in. They are friendly, clean, accept pets and have a winter special of $69/night. They even have a sweet lab-in-residence, Bailey. Visit the Newly Renovated Flagship Inn of Boothbay Harbor Maine

Old 12-24-2009, 08:28 AM

>>>Folks are certainly hiring in the boatbuilding industry. We own a small yard in the mid-coast area and just brought on someone new this month and are still looking for an additional person to hire in the new year. I stopped by another yard this week and he has 2 new boats on the go. Last month I attended the annual meeting of the Maine Marine Trades Association, with over 70 builders throughout the state represented, and things definitely on the upswing.

Rockport Marine has somethings in the works. Yes, things aren't as bleak as they were just 6 months ago, but as you said, there are a lot of experienced boatbuilders out there looking for work. A newbie will get a look if they are cheap and eagerto do anything. Now isn't the time to be picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine