Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 PM

76 posts, read 223,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
The humidity in Maine is very low compared to North Carolina - when the people in Eastport complained about how humid it was on any given day - I found it to be nothing like West Virginia humidity. The kind that makes you wet before you can get in your car.
Cool humidity doesn't make you suffer like hot, sticky humidity. We have that in NC all summer long and it is oppressive. I am looking forward to summering up in northern Maine.....bring on the fog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel22 View Post
Cool humidity doesn't make you suffer like hot, sticky humidity. We have that in NC all summer long and it is oppressive. I am looking forward to summering up in northern Maine.....bring on the fog!
We have been here since 2005, so not very long at all. But so far we have not encountered any heavy fog at all. A little bit of very light patchy stuff, but you could always see the pavement in front of your vehicle.

I learned to drive in much thicker fog, but so far here in Maine, I am not sure that Maine really gets much fog.

I can honestly say that in Maine I have not seen visibility drop to less than 20 feet. I have only driven in pretty light fog here.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 PM

23 posts, read 41,639 times
Default no long hot summers.....yessssssssss

while i am soon (with a little help and a miracle from god) moving to maine, i can say that maine, nor n.c....not even soth txas, can match the unberarlbly HOT, THICK, STICKY, SWELLTERING heat of south east florida.........and only arizona is a close second with even higher temps (125*F.) in the shade but with only slighter less humidity...........i can't stand it. my heart always goes out to the poor dogs i see in arizona, hot footing it all the way while their owners walk them while talking on their cell phones totally oblivious of their agony. the poor dogs can't even stand in one spot at a traffic light. i am so looking forward to cool summers and the change of seasons.

i will say that there is one noce thing about az...the sky is clear blue not even a cloud, every single day...but i miss rain. never thought i would. my sister lives in minnesota and even there the summers are humid and down right hot....

maine......here we come.
hope to see you all there

Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Maine summers have always been my favorite time of the year...not that I don't like the other seasons. My house is one mile from the ocean and we have never had or used AC for the past 70+ years. We open the windows and the house stays cool and comfortable. I can only remember a few times when it was uncomfortably hot at night...hardly worth mentioning at all. I can still hear my mother saying, "What a lovely breeze." Speaking of fog, I drove up Cadillac one time when I could barely see 20 ft. in front of me. I was careful not to drive off over the side.

Most likely it will rain--some years more, some years less, but there will also be sun. IMHO the weather is pretty close to perfect....the beach, the ocean, the lakes and ponds, outings with friends and relatives, canoeing, the smell of the ocean, cookouts at the ocean with a wood fire, toasted marshmallows, all the events and activities to choose from that only take place in the summer, pitching a tent to sleep in right in your own yard, packing a picnic lunch and a cooler filled with drinks (also blanket, beach towel, change of clothes, sweatshirt, long pants, shorts, sunscreen, bug spray, but not in the cooler), getting in the car and not really knowing where you'll end up or what new things/places you'll discover (the first item of clothing is a bathing suit--just in case) Bar Harbor on the 4th of July (I am not deterred by the traffic or people--irritated at times, but not deterred ), berry picking and eating, making jams and jellies, fresh veggies, Acadia National Park, state parks, long walks, hikes, enjoying the great outdoors.........Make a list of things to do a) when it rains, b) when it is overcast and c) when it is sunny--works for me.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 15,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have only driven in pretty light fog here.
You need to get yourself done on the coast or out on the islands. Driv'in in fogs that you can't see 5 feet in front of you. Now that's fog, baby.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
... pitching a tent to sleep in right in your own yard......
gettin' bit by the ants because you pitched your tent on an ant hill that you didn't know was there under the grass.... and gettin' up to go to the bathroom and getting eaten by black flies.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:18 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Hi you ole geezer: nope, not in my yard....guess I must be picking the right spot....haven't gotten bit by ants, haven't pitched my tent on an ant hill, and haven't gotten eaten by black flies on my way to the bathroom nor while using it .......I did get attacked by some pesky little skeeters up in the vicinity of Georges Pond, but that's another story...

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-16-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 03:52 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenbarngeezer View Post
You need to get yourself done on the coast or out on the islands. Driv'in in fogs that you can't see 5 feet in front of you. Now that's fog, baby.
Where I grew up often you could extend your arms and not see your hands; get in a car and you can only see halfway down the hood.

Around here you can always see the hood of your car, and the pavement just beyond.

My mother drives on the freeway in the fog with the driver's door open. She watches underneath her door so she can see the paint on the pavement to determine lane position.

"Dont worry about folks in front of you, they have brake lights".

"Just stay centered in your lane and moving at the posted speed so the big trucks dont pile into you".

Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Where I grew up often you could extend your arms and not see your hands; get in a car and you can only see halfway down the hood.

Around here you can always see the hood of your car, and the pavement just beyond.

My mother drives on the freeway in the fog with the driver's door open. She watches underneath her door so she can see the paint on the pavement to determine lane position.

"Dont worry about folks in front of you, they have brake lights".

"Just stay centered in your lane and moving at the posted speed so the big trucks dont pile into you".

Don't they call that 'tooley fog' FB? I remember bad pile-ups on Interstate 5 or Highway 101 in the central valley of CA. Every year, there seems to be a 10-20 car accidents due to this low lying fog. People actually will drive faster than they think they are going. It is deceiving, I know.

I believe fog lights give you a better look at the ground immediately in front of the car, left and right. Plus, opposing traffic can see you better too.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
The summers are nowhere nearly as wonderful as the winters, but they are far better than summers anywhere else in the country. I am speaking of north central Maine, a point about 74 miles northeast of downtown Bangor, as this is the area I call my retreat. But my view may differ from someone else's view as my retreat is heavily wooded and my romps through the area are usually in shaded areas beneath the canopy of the trees.

The nights are filled with the twinkling of fireflies, the glimmer of stars in a glossy black sky and a moon so clear you can almost touch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine