Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 AM

396 posts, read 605,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I think you would like it then.. i had a friend that loved rain.. me.. I live for the sun....
Well for me, it all leads up to the most wonderful time of the year in Maine FALL.

Most falls, are worth waiting all year for. It's definitely a time of the year for feeling "Special".

I too live in Auburn, and can say that yes summers generally don't match summers just about anywhere else south of here, but they are generally nice.

As for northern Maine, not sure that's were you want to head, unless you like to be away from the central of hub of Maine.

It's very beautiful up there, but for me, it's just the thought of 2, 3, 4 or more hours on the road to get back to the big city life, which isn't all that big in Maine, just a lot bigger then the north.

Yes there is Bangor, which is a very nice city / area, but that's it.

Portland is 2 +- hours south of Bangor
Boston another 2 hours from Portland
New York, another 6 hours from Portland

But if you are like me, and don't mind driving than none of this matters

Skip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 PM

76 posts, read 223,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have been here since 2005, so not very long at all. But so far we have not encountered any heavy fog at all. A little bit of very light patchy stuff, but you could always see the pavement in front of your vehicle.

I learned to drive in much thicker fog, but so far here in Maine, I am not sure that Maine really gets much fog.

I can honestly say that in Maine I have not seen visibility drop to less than 20 feet. I have only driven in pretty light fog here.

It was foggy in NC today.....at one point I couldn't see my neighbor's house. That doesn't happen often......made me think of a Maine summer when I was younger!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I guess the coast does get quite a bit of fog. I like fog hanging over the river. We get alot of that on summer mornings here in the County.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Morning fog along any coastal town in Maine is the generally the norm up until mid July. After that, it will usually burn off once the sun hits high noon.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM

76 posts, read 223,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Morning fog along any coastal town in Maine is the generally the norm up until mid July. After that, it will usually burn off once the sun hits high noon.
Now that is what I am talking about......sheer heaven!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM

79 posts, read 343,315 times
There is a calculation for 'relative humidity,' which will tell you how much you will feel the humidity and how hot that humidity will make you feel. You'll need historical weather data, which you can get from Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground. What makes the humidity feel humid and hot has much to do with the dew point. The higher the dew point, the hotter and more humid you feel. Southern states typically have higher dewpoints, resulting in much hotter, oppressive summer weather patterns. Relative humidity is what affects how we perceive humidity and heat.

Relative humidity calculator: Temperature, Dewpoint, and Relative Humidity Calculator

I have family in Texas and it used to drive me crazy not understanding why Texas was oppressive and sweltering while other locales have high humidity numbers but have more comfortable summers. Humidity and heat are most noticeable when the dew point is above 60 and extremely uncomfortable when above 70.

I did some calcs for Southern Maine (where we would like to move), and the highest 'real feel' was about 90ish degrees. I live in the SF Bay Area now (but inland), and our real feel temps can be 103-105 because we often have 103-107 degree days, but we don't have high humidity or dew point levels.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
Maine summers are cool, wet, dry, sunny, and occasionally, and on rare occasions hot. Stay on the coast for cooler weather. In Washington county, the summer temperatures can vary as much as 15 degrees between inland and the coast. Like they say, if you don't like the weather in Maine, don't worry, it is going to change in two minutes. Southern Maine and inland Maine is much warmer than on the coast. 90's can be present inland, except in the northern part of the County.

Last edited by maine4.us; 01-19-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,667 times
Maine summers are like no other in my opinion. Yes it can get humid, but considering the long winters, no one should be complaining. Perfect camping weather all summer, perfect beach weather all summer, perfect oceans to swim in to cool off....southern maine has a lot of beautiful beaches to visit. Summers here are why I stay...don't let anyone convince you otherwise...yes we have summers where it rains for a few weeks straight, but its not the end of the world. And it rarely hits 90 or 100 degrees here, don't know where that one came from...Maine is famous for it's summers...you must check it out for yourself!!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Maine Summers are to short.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
montanamom
befriend

1,322 posts, read 850,400 times

I'm betting the black flies' bite can't be any worse than the bites I got this summer from the god-awful fire ants we have down here. They are downright horrifying, in my opinion.

If you think your Ants can sting; ask Corgis what the Eastport Ants did to her dog a few Summers ago..I heard they tore the Arse right out ah the poor pooch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine