Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about the same issue facing Maine now regarding medical marijuana dispensaries. Would have been nice to have some of the rules in place before the vote perhaps.

As dispensaries pop up, Denver may be Pot Capital, U.S.A. - The Denver Post

Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
This whole thing about “medical marijuana” is ridiculous 1st there is already a way to get the same benefits of T.H.C in a pill.. un-illegalize the stuff and let the people who feel the need to use it grow it on their own or buy it. Think of the money we would save from not having to investigate, arrest, and possibly incarcerate offenders

Creating this “medical marijuana” loop hole is only going to cost society more money and create other problems..

other then that the article doesnt mean much to me..

Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 AM

503 posts, read 1,025,551 times
Well I don't agree with it. All it's going to do is bring out the greedy doctors that'll take $50 to write out a fake prescription for it for a fake ailment. These drug addicts whine they don't have any money but they find it, or steal it, to pay for their habit and then use the no money excuse to use it.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM

I meant to say the article didn't mean much to me other then to show how its going to cause more governement regulation and goverment involvment all over nothing.. ;

marijuana is hardly representative of the hard core addicted drug users which leads to violent crime..

Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I meant to say the article didn't mean much to me other then to show how its going to cause more governement regulation and goverment involvment all over nothing.. ;

marijuana is hardly representative of the hard core addicted drug users which leads to violent crime..
Exactly and well said. So much government over regulation, so little freedoms. And let's not forget who will be footing the bill.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
un-illegalize the stuff and let the people who feel the need to use it grow it on their own or buy it. Think of the money we would save from not having to investigate, arrest, and possibly incarcerate offenders
I agree. If people want to grow it themselves, they should be able to. (I think this whether it's for medical reasons or not..) As with alcohol and other drugs, I don't think it should be legal to supply it to minors, but other than that, I'd be for lifting the illegality of growing and using marijuana. I'm concerned that making it legal through dispensaries as a medicinal product just makes the state become the drug dealer, and as with everything else the state gets it's hands on, it will end up costing the taxpayers much more than it needs to. Let the people grow their own- what's that cost? $5/yr for a box of Miracle Grow? Same stuff, "dispensed" by the state or it's "authorized agents"? $1000+/yr?

And on the same subject.. where does the "authorized" pot come from? Is the state growing it themselves? Are they buying it from people who otherwise would be committing a felony for growing it (if they were giving it to anyone other than the state)? Do they charge allow agents to charge extra for "the good stuff", or are the seeds state-approved?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
This whole thing about “medical marijuana” is ridiculous 1st there is already a way to get the same benefits of T.H.C in a pill.. .....
Please cite a source. I don't think you can get any THC-based pill that actually works well. Marinol is out there, but it is difficult to use in small doses compared to plain ole pot.

Quote:
..... un-illegalize the stuff and let the people who feel the need to use it grow it on their own or buy it. Think of the money we would save from not having to investigate, arrest, and possibly incarcerate offenders .....
I think the government waste needs to include eradication efforts too.

Quote:
..... Creating this “medical marijuana” loop hole is only going to cost society more money and create other problems.. .....
How is this going to cost more mone, and what other problems will it create?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Well I don't agree with it. All it's going to do is bring out the greedy doctors that'll take $50 to write out a fake prescription for it for a fake ailment. .....
While it looks like this may be similar to what is happening in California, there is not indication that this is going to happen in Maine.

Quote:
..... These drug addicts whine they don't have any money but they find it, or steal it, to pay for their habit and then use the no money excuse to use it.
There is no evidence at all to indicate that this type of behavior is indicative of marijuana users.

Quote:

More government regulation perhaps, but in the direction of reducing government involvement in people's lives by allowing a harmless product to be made available, at least to some people. You are absolutely correct that marijuana use is not indicative of hard core drug users and the problems they bring to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Exactly and well said. So much government over regulation, so little freedoms. And let's not forget who will be footing the bill.
Sorry to disagree, but this regulation seems to me to actually increase freedoms. What bill is it that someone will be footing, and who will be footing it?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Mensaguy.. Though I'am having a hard time figuring out where you stand on this issue let me just say that I am not against people who are suffering and find relief through the smoking of marijuana.. I've had stomach issues for years and though there are 10 different medications out there there is only one that seems to work with me...

My concern is the increased laws and regulations associated with creating a medical marijuana "loop hole"

Case in point is this last election we had.. I am sure a lot of people looked at the medical marijuana issue on the ballot and felt "what do I care if people smoke pot".. so it was passed.. but this was a huge bill which include protection for people who use marijuana for medicinal purposes..

specifically as a landlord I am know bound to this law and it appears I will have to let people smoke marijuana in my apartments if they have a prescription. If not I could be violating someones civil rights... but the reality is I dont let any kind of smoking in my apartments.. its a neuscence to other tenants, stains the walls and is a fire hazard... and ultimatley costs me lots of time and money..

I am sure this is not the only isse either.. fact is if the stuff was never made illegal then there would never have been a push for a medical marijuana clause...

Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM

115 posts, read 380,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I agree. If people want to grow it themselves, they should be able to. (I think this whether it's for medical reasons or not..) As with alcohol and other drugs, I don't think it should be legal to supply it to minors, but other than that, I'd be for lifting the illegality of growing and using marijuana. I'm concerned that making it legal through dispensaries as a medicinal product just makes the state become the drug dealer, and as with everything else the state gets it's hands on, it will end up costing the taxpayers much more than it needs to. Let the people grow their own- what's that cost? $5/yr for a box of Miracle Grow? Same stuff, "dispensed" by the state or it's "authorized agents"? $1000+/yr?

And on the same subject.. where does the "authorized" pot come from? Is the state growing it themselves? Are they buying it from people who otherwise would be committing a felony for growing it (if they were giving it to anyone other than the state)? Do they charge allow agents to charge extra for "the good stuff", or are the seeds state-approved?
I can't make my own moonshine or whiskey,so they shouldn't be able to grow their own dope either.Companies should grow it and sell it,so we can tax the crap out of it like everything else.Screw the potheads!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While it looks like this may be similar to what is happening in California, there is not indication that this is going to happen in Maine.
Why wouldn't it happen here ? Or anywhere else that legalizes medical pot ? The doctors aren't going to advertise "For A Limited Time Only ! $50 Cash And You Have A Legal Prescription To Be A Drug Addict !". Are you telling me you think there aren't auto repair shops that don't sell inspection stickers ? I don't care where you live, there are people whether in the professional field or whatever that will skirt the law to make a quick buck ! You live in a bubble my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: