Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,167 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the Fort Fairfield/P.I./Caribou area in the coming months due to a job transfer and I am looking for any information on good places to rent until we can get our home down here in N.M. sold. I have already contacted the Caribou chamber of comm. but I didn't get a reply from them.

If anyone has any knowledge of good apartments or homes for rent in the area please share. I have a wife and newborn so I'm looking for somewhere safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Where does your husband work? We would like to move there as my husband is from that area. Good luck...sorry I can't help you with rentals...However, you could subscribe to the Star Herald and check out the ads

Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I might know of a place in Caribou, I'll check Fort Fairfield Tuesday for you. It doesn't surprise me that the Caribou Chamber didn't contact you back. I would really look to Fort Fairfield if I were moving into this area again. It is a very nice town and a very nice school system. The towns people are working hard to provide a good town for the next generation. DM me if there is anything in particular you want to know of the area. I have lived in the area for quite a long time now and will do my best to answer your questions.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Just got to thinking (kind of hurt, I try not to do that on a week-end). Were you in Caribou/ Presque Isle area a week or two ago? I saw a New Mexico plate on a car and got a good laugh wondering how they liked the snow we had. Cannot imagine there would be too many around this area. Haven't seen a New Mexico license plate sense Loring Air Force Base closed down years ago.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,018 times
Default List of Caribou area rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan2383 View Post
We are going to be moving to the Fort Fairfield/P.I./Caribou area in the coming months due to a job transfer and I am looking for any information on good places to rent until we can get our home down here in N.M. sold. I have already contacted the Caribou chamber of comm. but I didn't get a reply from them.
Check your messages. I just sent you a copy of the Caribou Chamber of Commerce's list of rentals, which I picked up while in Caribou on March 19.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Mfisher,

Thanks for that list. I think it will really help. I didn't realize there were so many apartment places up there. We should be moving in the next 4-6 weeks depending on how quick my transfer goes through and we still have a ton a research to do. Out of all the places you checked out on that list which were the top few in your opinion?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,330 times
Sorry for the delay in responding. I can't seem to login under my old profile. It looks like a JavaScript error. This new profile works, however. Strange.

I haven't seriously checked out any of the apartments from that list. The only one I looked at while in Caribou was C.S. Management, which has a number of buildings. From photos which were on display in their office, it looked like a number of their properties were clean and in good repair. The rent seemed a bit higher than I would have expected for Northern Maine, but I don't have other rents against which to compare them.

If your company is paying for relocation, I would suggest that you spend a week or two in a hotel (or perhaps even a cabin) while looking for a more permanent residence. The Caribou Inn would be OK as a place to stay temporarily with your family. Clean, safe, etc. (which by the way is a good description for the area as a whole).

There are also a number of places in the area where you could rent a modern, heated cabin by the day or week. The cost is comparable, but it might feel more like a vacation home and would include a kitchen.

[url=http://www.caribouinn.com/]Caribou Inn & Convention Center - Caribou Maine[/url]
[url=http://www.cariboucabins.net/]Caribou Maine Cabin Rentals[/url]

Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 AM

I live right here and the Caribou Inn and Convention center would be my LAST choice. Expensive for the area and the rooms are hit-or-miss when it comes to actually being cleaned. Russells motel is a lot smaller, cheaper, friendlier. Sure it is older, but very clean and the people are very nice. Plus it is closer to town. Can't tell you about the other place in Caribou though, it has been YEARS sense I stayed there last.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
If you are by yourself, or a couple with no kids, the Old Iron Inn B&B is a nice place and they can set you up with a fairly reasonable weekly or monthly rate. I think the couple who own it also have some short-term apartment type rentals as well.

I have stayed at the Old Iron Inn several times. It's a nice old house and the owners are good people. Word of warning, if you ask for the room with its own bath, instead of the rooms that use the communal bath, it doesn't really have a separate bathroom. There are two alcoves just inside the door, with a toilet on one side and a shower on the other, but no door, so there is really no privacy from other occupants in the room.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys. We started calling for apartments and have narrowed it down to a few. Does anyone have any info on the Limestone Country Club Apartments? The commute from there to work (fort fairfield) seems ok according to google maps.

The other place we are checking out is Prestile Apartments in Caribou. Again any info would be appreciated. We have till the end of april to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine