Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
WoW! I only thought that crap like that happened at our house!
Seriously Austin, you are not even close to alone. We do that all the time here. Drives me nuts when I have to figure out where to put the second industrial sized package of TP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Wretched mess update:

We are now supposed to get significant freezing rain, high winds up to 60 MPH and serious flooding from more than 2.5 inches of rain. I'm going to dig out my bulkhead in case I have to pump. This would be a really good time to check your generator also. I'm just sayin'. This fron the scientific discussion at the NWS in Caribou:

"Hydrology...
rain...heavy at times...will cross the watch area Monday afternoon
through early Monday night. At this time...generally 1.5 to 2.5
inches of rain is expected across the watch area with locally
greater totals possible. The rain...combined with runoff from
melting snow...will contribute to an increased risk of flooding on
rivers and streams in the watch area starting later Monday
afternoon. The rain will diminish later Monday night.
However...the flood threat could continue through early Tuesday
while water continues to drain through rivers and streams.
The elevated water levels could cause ice to move and possibly
jam which would also contribute to the flood threat. Also...the
heavy rain could produce areas of standing water in low lying and
poor drainage areas particularly where storm drains are blocked
with snow and ice.

I would post river levels tomorrow and Tuesday, but they are all frozen up. If the gauges thaw, I'll post river levels.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Water, water, water. Make sure you have water in pails, in water jugs - whatever. I'm off to fill one for each bathroom and one for drinking.

The rest, IMO, is a cakewalk.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Water, water, water. Make sure you have water in pails, in water jugs - whatever. I'm off to fill one for each bathroom and one for drinking.

The rest, IMO, is a cakewalk.
We keep a few gallon jugs of "store bought" water for drinking/cooking on hand in case of power outages. We fill the tub before any likely outages for washing/flush purposes. I'll make a nice soup today, easy to reheat on the woodstove.
No generator here (yet) but we can always put the frozen stuff in a cooler and bury it with snow if need be.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Store bought? They sell Maine spring water for a dollar a pint down in the cities. We get it fresh out of the ground here. We don't need to buy water.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We keep a few gallon jugs of "store bought" water for drinking/cooking on hand in case of power outages. We fill the tub before any likely outages for washing/flush purposes. I'll make a nice soup today, easy to reheat on the woodstove.
No generator here (yet) but we can always put the frozen stuff in a cooler and bury it with snow if need be.

The only problem with store bought water that I've found is that if it sits too long, it takes on the taste of the plastic bottle it's in.
We have a large Coleman water jug with a spigot which we fill during such occasions. Besides, it's cheaper in the long run...LOL...

In addition to the woodstove (Yay for woodstoves in Maine!) we cooked on the grill. Mine also has a sideburner on it. During the ice storm, we also put frozen items in the snowbank. I guess that's one benefit of having winter up here.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
The only problem with store bought water that I've found is that if it sits too long, it takes on the taste of the plastic bottle it's in.
We have a large Coleman water jug with a spigot which we fill during such occasions. Besides, it's cheaper in the long run...LOL...

In addition to the woodstove (Yay for woodstoves in Maine!) we cooked on the grill. Mine also has a sideburner on it. During the ice storm, we also put frozen items in the snowbank. I guess that's one benefit of having winter up here.
You can dump the water into glass canning jars instead to protect against the plastic smell...

But I've got a Berkey water filter with the optional chemical removal elements. Anything put through that comes out tasting good...

Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM

We have a town spring in Lee. It runs 365 days a year. People come from all over to get water there. When people leave to go back to the city they fill all the jugs they can find.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have a town spring in Lee. It runs 365 days a year. People come from all over to get water there. When people leave to go back to the city they fill all the jugs they can find.
We have a spring here on our property I've been told. I haven't been down to find it yet, maybe in the spring I can get our local expert to help me locate it. Someone told me there's a brook runs through here too. Once the weather is accomadating I'm hoping that local expert (look in the mirror man!) will stop by and point me in the right direction!
For now, the plastic jugs are handy to store water in the basement cupboard. We have a grill and a camp stove as well.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:21 PM

"I'm hoping that local expert (look in the mirror man!) will stop by and point me in the right direction!"

NMLM, (suitably chastened) will do so. You have to go all the way to the next town to get to the brook. (It's your property line.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine