Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times

Advertisements

Is there really a "New England" style clam chowder? Last time I was in Maine I ordered clam chowder and got a brothy vegetable soup with clams in it, very similar to the Maryland Crab Soup we have down here (my wife actually preferred it this way). Was not at all like the thicker, milky stuff that people in other places refer to as "New England" style. Was that an aberration or is the chowder in Maine different from the way it would be made in say, Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
It's hard to believe you got such an abomination in Maine. Probably such an emporium has since closed. When a friend of mine sat before the board to obtain his guide license one of the old guides asked him how he would prepare a chowder for a shore lunch. He explained he would put some salt pork in the skillet, render it down and fry up some chunks of fish. Then add some chunks of boiled potatoes. Fry them along with the fish until lightly browned. Set the skillet over to the side of the fire and finally add light cream, pepper and a little salt, being careful not scorch the cream. Serve with a pat of butter and some oyster crackers if the sport likes them.

The old guide was nervously rocking back and forth. Finally he burst out; "When are you going to add the jeezly onions?"

Dan realized his error and said, "I ain't. I don't like onions." That satisfied the board and Dan breathed a sigh of relief. He had simply forgotten the onions which go in right after the salt pork or bacon. Of course, if bacon is used instead of salt pork, it must be crisp and broken up before adding the fish.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,141 times
Sounds like you got something closer to Manahatten Clam Chowder.
New England Clam chowder is milk based. (preferrably heavy cream)
Manhatten Clam chowder is tomato based.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Well, I'm not sure about the vegetables-were you eating Manhattan style? Good clam chowder should be no thicker than cream. That white gunk you can stand a spoon up in is disgusting. Like Northern Maine said, it's made with fish (clam) stock, salt pork or bacon, butter and cream, clams, onion and potatoes. It's thickened a bit from the potatoes in it, not with flour.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times
Yeah, that sounds like "Manhattan style" to me. N.E. chowders are always cream soups. What were they thinkin'?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Well I've had Manhattan and that's more tomatoey than this was. Wasn't there a law up there at one time against mixing tomatoes and clams?

Perhaps it was an aberration or the chef was a transplant from somewhere South. Looked like a place that had been around a while though. Was a bit South of Bar Harbor. As I said, that's how we eat fish soup down in the mid-Atlantic so nothing wrong with it other than use of the name I guess.

What you describe is exactly how I prepare it at home so glad to hear that what I'm making is the real McCoy.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
Sounds almost like Cioppino.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 PM

48,116 posts, read 21,997,640 times
The OP could be describing a RI Clam chowder, but I have never seen that in Maine, (except in my kitchen) ....which is not milk based but also not Manhattan chowder....I lived as a kid in RI and got really fond of it.....try out the salt pork; add onions and potatoes and perhaps some chopped up chorico.... saute em a little.... and then add water enough to cook potatoes....add chopped quohogs (sea clams).....and then a can of tomatoes....and then fiddle with the water and clam broth until it tastes right and season heavily with black pepper.

It shouldnt be compared with NE Clam chowder..its as differnt as chicken soup is different from corn chowder....and there's no corn or beans or Manhattan style stuff in it.....but with some RI clam cakes (clam fritters) ...it holds its own ..... IMHO.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Well, I've seen it in Maine; at the WaCo diner in Eastport. If you want to eat that abomination, you can get it there. If you want real, thick chowdah, the Eastport Chowder House has award winning, wicked good stuff.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, I've seen it in Maine; at the WaCo diner in Eastport. If you want to eat that abomination, you can get it there. If you want real, thick chowdah, the Eastport Chowder House has award winning, wicked good stuff.
Here we go again.....there is no need to insult my dinner to make yours better.....I happen to like both NE Clam Chowder and RI Clam Chowder. I wouldnt call your dinner or family recipe...an "abomination" because that would be rude.

My father was a Mainah....and a good cook and made the cream based chowdah.....my Mother was English but learned to make RI Clam Chowder for church suppers in Northern RI....when we lived there......I loved both styles.....they werent in competition anymore than Mom and Dad were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine