Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 15,859 times

Advertisements

Hello all my wife and I are looking for a big change. We are living in Houston now with are three children and hate it here. We are wanting to move to the Fort Kent area as soon as we can. I am an Aircraft Mechanic and my wife is a jr high teacher.We are currently looking for jobs in the area and rental homes. We are not having much luck on finding info. If anyone could point us in the right direction we would really appreciate it.

Thanks

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,574,864 times
The only airport in the area is at Frenchville. It has a very nice runway and can take business jets, but last time I was there there was no FBO. The biggest aviation facility in Northern Maine is the former Loring Air Force Base.

Northern Maine - Facilities - Loring Avaiation Complex

Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,861,508 times
One of the biggest employers for mechanics is the Maine Military Authority in Limestone, but they work on vehicles. There IS an aviation company at Loring also.........but they are doing blimps right now.
There is an airport in Edmundston, New Brunswick, about twenty minutes away from Fort Kent. Canadian companies can hire Americans if they can't find qualified Canadians.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 PM

387 posts, read 605,849 times
I LIVE here, and I can provide some info. This is a pretty nice small town. A bit boring really, but life is nice and slow-paced here. Like a poster said above, you could possibly find work at the Frenchville airport, or one of the other area airports. Your wife could apply at Fort Kent Elementary or Fort Kent Community High School.

This is a college town as well - this is the closest thing I could find to an endorsement of our town, which is the college video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL1Rwhup6M4

Hope that helps!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,451 times
I don't see getting a job at the airport. husband worked for Grumman for years and was told they were not hiring they are a tiny outfit.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 AM

8 posts, read 15,859 times
Thanks so much for the info everyone. I can't find any shops online in the county. I have emailed a few airports Fort kent, Caribou, and Presque Isle asking for information on the shops at their field, but havent received any response. My wife is a Deaf Ed teacher. She has good luck on her hunt so far. Hope I do as well. We want out of the city we are in so bad it hurts. The day we find jobs we are gone. I don't have anything good to say about Houston. My children will start school in a few years and Houston is not going to be it. Well thanks again.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 PM

17 posts, read 74,825 times
I moved to Saint Agatha [about 12 miles from fort kent] from Rhode Island about a year ago. If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of a major city fort kent is a good place to live.I myself having no family and just a couple of friends am having a lonely time in the winter,as far as finding a job you might have to look far and wide. There is a big paper mill called fraser paper in madawaska [about 25 miles east of fort kent] they still seem to be looking for people with various training you might want to look there. It's been my expirience that there are so few online connections for the saint john valley [which is what the northern boarder area is called] it's hard to believe. I looked for 2 years before i found the right place and the right realtor. Last year just as i got here i had gone to fort kent for a tree lighting around christmas, the atmosphere was so perfect i thought things like that were gone forever.It's a real nice sweet place here in the valley. Most people here are still friendly and welcome strangers openly.If you are serious about moving here i can send you a pm about a down to earth and honest realtor that i found here. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by 1979cordoba; 01-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine