Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,991,004 times

Advertisements

A relative of an acquaintance took his life last Fall when he realized that the herd belonging to another family member was being liquidated. Apparently he was responsible for a lot of their care. Misplaced aspirations,clinical depression, and finances were probably all factors. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,377,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
MOO Milk started distributing last week. It's in my fridge!
I am drawn to that milk now as I have it in me (name). I usually will just go to any market and look for skim, any skim, and then shuffle a few to find the longest date before I put it in my cart. I'll look for Moo now..

Good information about the farmers plight. Things have been tough for many small businesses over the past few years. Me included. I'm starting to see some positive activity now and things are looking up. But I can't even possibly imagine the work involved in all aspects of daily dairy farming compared to what most other people do for a living. They deserve our thanks and admiration. I'd certainly pay more for milk from Maine farmers. Or, I could save money by just cutting back in the pastry isle once in a while for crying out loud.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,509,078 times
We are not nearly subsidized like the other nations out there. Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada, etc are all much, much more subsidized then we are.

Of course every few years when the mis-named Farm Bill comes up, farmers get the blame for "driving up taxes" and "subsidy excesses" with the images of farms plastered on TV and in Newspapers when the truth is, 70% of the Farm Bill goes to welfare recipients. A few more billion goes to Foreign Countries to get their agriculture going. That leaves the US Farmer with about 20% of the Farm Bill that has our name still on it.

Of course you can go online too and find any farm in any state and find out how much money they took from farm subsidies over the years. They call it "transparency", but what I want to know is....

Where are all the names and amounts of the lame and lazy that took welfare from the same Farm Bill...80% worth...that do not even have to get out of bed to get it? Fair is fair...if the poor hard woking farmer has the electronic scarlet letter on their farm name, then surely it is only fair to list all the welfare reciopients that get 80% of FARM BILL money!! That is what nicks my sheep!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,991,004 times
At the risk of being moved, this is a pet peeve of mine. Subsidies going for affluent welfare recipients instead of working farmer families.

Much of the farm subsidy payout goes to individuals and companies that clearly do not need taxpayer help. A Washington, D.C., think tank has posted individual farm subsidy recipients on its webpage at EWG Home | Environmental Working Group to illustrate the unfairness of farm welfare for the well-to-do. Farm subsidy recipients include Fortune 500 companies, members of Congress, and millionaires such as Ted Turner (see Chart 2).[9]

Farm Reform Reversal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: