Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

I meant to mention this the other day, but I got busy and then never got back to it. Did any of you happen to catch Fort Knox on Ghost Hunters (SciFy) Wednesday night? I hadn't watched the show in a while, but regardless of what you think about ghosties, it was fun to see the fort on there. Jake (12 year old) got a little rattled with the episode~ I found him on the couch in the living room the next morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
This is a TRUE story, take it for what it's worth..There was a group of people that moved to Maine in the not so distant past that thought they knew it all. They blew into a little town, tried to change everything, tried to intimidate the locals and guess what....they still haven't found the bodies.(this was actually on Unsolved Mysteries). No one in the town had a clue what happened to the obnoxious people from away. Yes you can say that mentioning this is intimidation in itself.....but it DID happen and it's the truth. It might not happen in your town especially if you're a nice person willing to assimilate and live peacefully with the natives. Should you decide to be a becon of change where change is not welcome.... you're on your own.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:36 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I meant to mention this the other day, but I got busy and then never got back to it. Did any of you happen to catch Fort Knox on Ghost Hunters (SciFy) Wednesday night? I hadn't watched the show in a while, but regardless of what you think about ghosties, it was fun to see the fort on there. Jake (12 year old) got a little rattled with the episode~ I found him on the couch in the living room the next morning!

I love what they've done with the place. A very dedicated group of people have worked very hard restoring Fort Knox. Had they not, it would probably be nearly fallen down by now.

When I was a teenager, we always had a great time roaming around there - of course, there was no one around in those days. It was even more creepy back then.

Still, it was a fun way to spend a day skippin' school.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
A strange and wonderful thing happened while I was out working in my garden in Gorham.....I heard a bird commotion in the trees...and saw a shadow of a large bird in my back yard....near me.....when I stopped to check it out.....(it was making quite a ruckus)....it was a large sea gull flying over head....right over my garden area and above some hemlock trees.

Now I know not everyone loves seagulls.....but my mother did....she loved them so much she once told me that she could and would watch over me.....in the form of a seagull.....she told me that if I ever needed her or wanted reassurance of her presence in my life.....to look up ..... and if I saw a sea gull.....doubt no more.

Wow.....working in my garden always brings my parents to mind....they were gardeners....this morning the intensity of that presence gave me goose flesh! I went out and bought some violas (johnnie jump ups)...one of the early spring flowers I associate with her.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I saw my first eagle today [first for this year that is].

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I saw my first eagle today [first for this year that is].

They were down around our camp all winter.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Our puppy has found a new friend

She came in this morning with quills in her snout, so I am certain that she behaved herself.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 PM

We saw two red fox this morning.

Crossing the road [I was not able to accelerate enough to hit either of them], about a mile apart.

Last summer everyone in our town had problems with fox getting into chicken coops and stealing chickens. The rumor was that she had a litter and was feeding them.

Now it is possible that her litter are all coming of age.

[Aside from cleaning my rifle] are there any words of wisdom that you good folks might have about dealing with fox?

I have a selection of live-traps, but have never been able to get one to enter inside a trap.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:08 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Spring for some heavy-duty hardware cloth and make a chicken coop/enclosure that is fox proof?

The time a fox raised Cain amongst my pheasants, I blamed me for making a crappy coop rather than the fox for being smart enough to take advantage of an easy meal.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Groan, hardware clothe is really pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine