Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness for the rain, fog, and general dampness! Now, ready for some sun, please!

What to do on a rainy day in Rockland? Go to Wal-Mart! I don't go to Wal-Mart very often, no special reason, just seem to find what I need at local venues...excepting shower curtains for some reason. But today I was there to look at their pellet guns. Considered a paint ball gun But decided a .22 might be in order. Chickens=foxes.

But Wal-Mart...the place was packed! I thought maybe there was an upcoming holiday I'd forgotten! Shop on, mid-coast ME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
You shoulda got the paint gun... I think getting turned shocking pink would be enough to send any fox packing! LOL I actually considered such a move last year to discourage deer in the garden, but Maine Writer told me about stringing a couple of strands of monofiliment fishing line around the garden, between posts, for a deer fence. I had some posts and some fishing line, so odd as it sounded, I decided to give it a try.

It WORKED! even around the peas, which they had already discovered and therefore KNEW were there. Apparently they cannot see the line and when they walk into it, they freak out (much like when I walk into an unseen spider web!) I saw tracks in the driveway, headed towards the garden... light and spaced as a deer would walk and a little ways away, DEEP prints, dug in and heading away.

Dunno of any quick fox repellant, save an outside dog, maybe..

Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
... But decided a .22 might be in order. Chickens=foxes. ...
A week ago, I saw a red fox chasing my chickens.

By the time I got out there with a rifle the fox was gone.

He had gone toward a neighbor who has sheep, so I walked over to see if they had seen him. Three neighbors were all out walking around with rifles, it was kind of funny one of them is a gunsmith and all the rifles they were carrying had price-tags hanging from them.

Nobody got any shots off though. I decided to stop free-ranging our chickens for a while.

Then, yesterday afternoon, I heard a bird making repeated sounds, an odd cry, so I went outside to listen closer.

I saw flashes of red out in the marsh, the fox was bounding through the swamp grasses. I took aim, and he stopped 20 paces from me. We looked at each other face-to-face. Click. My rifle mis-fired, I chambered another round, click. The fox began walking back into the forest, click, I emptied my clip, mis-firing every round.

I gathered up all of the rounds, all of their primers had dents on them.

So this morning at 10am when the gunsmith opened his shop, I was there with rifle and a handful of rounds that had refused to fire.

Hopefully he will fix the rifle, and soon this fox will disappear.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
... Dunno of any quick fox repellant, save an outside dog, maybe ...
Both of our dogs were outside on tethers the first time when this fox was chasing our chickens. I released them both as I went inside to get a rifle.

Our dogs ran into the forest and disappeared.

One returned after an hour, the other dog returned after about 2 hours.

I think they were more interested in having a run in the forest more so than what the fox was doing.

Last night when I heard the wounded bird doing it's cry and went outside to investigate, both of our dogs were on their tethers, asleep.

If they noticed the fox, I think they would see it as a possible playmate. That was what happened the last time they found a muskrat. The pup was trying to get the muskrat to play.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
If they noticed the fox, I think they would see it as a possible playmate. That was what happened the last time they found a muskrat. The pup was trying to get the muskrat to play.

If I didn't know better I would think that our cat, 13 (shown here) is related to your dog, at least as far as IQ goes...

He trapped HIMSELF under the milk crate that we used to keep the cats from walking on the CPAP machine and turning it on during the day and off at night, when it's in use.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:

If I didn't know better I would think that our cat, 13 (shown here) is related to your dog, at least as far as IQ goes...

He trapped HIMSELF under the milk crate that we used to keep the cats from walking on the CPAP machine and turning it on during the day and off at night, when it's in use.
That is a nice photo

[ I saw it earlier ]

Could it be that drinking the water here makes our pets stoopid?

A few months ago Bonnie noticed that a cat was sleeping on a box, but the box was making noises. As she investigated further she found that one cat had gotten into a box and the second cat got on the lid, and both cats had gone to sleep. One cat trapped inside while the second cat held the lid shut.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
[...]Three neighbors were all out walking around with rifles, it was kind of funny one of them is a gunsmith and all the rifles they were carrying had price-tags hanging from them. [...]
This is a funny story!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
You shoulda got the paint gun... I think getting turned shocking pink would be enough to send any fox packing! LOL
Considering it gave me a laugh, too!

And I'm glad to hear that stringing monofilament actually does work to deter deer. Just now, I'm feeling rather cruel for plotting so against the natural world!

FBK & starwalker, what silly cats you have! Mine isn't clever that way at all...he prefers a sunbeam in the lee when he's outside or the couch when he's in inside. His biggest brain cramp is always being on the wrong side of the door! Here he is, jackknifed on the couch...again!

Last edited by maureenb; 06-03-2010 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: mathematical error

Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
My favorite trans-Atlantic word maven takes a stab at it on this page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine