Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
[color=Blue]

And I'm glad to hear that stringing monofilament actually does work to deter deer. Just now, I'm feeling rather cruel for plotting so against the natural world!
I learned about this trick from MaineWriter, thought it pretty strange, but then I am often inclined to the strange myself so I tried it. Just recently I read it in Mother Earth News... so heads up... it's hit the national press and two things are about to happen:
1. Someone will hit the Shopping Network with a packaged product.
2. The deer will figure out a way around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I learned about this trick from MaineWriter, thought it pretty strange, but then I am often inclined to the strange myself so I tried it. Just recently I read it in Mother Earth News... so heads up... it's hit the national press and two things are about to happen:
1. Someone will hit the Shopping Network with a packaged product.
2. The deer will figure out a way around it.
Restaurants with outdoor seating areas use monofliament strung over the area to keep seagulls away. It works pretty well. If they don't have it up a gull will literally pick up your clamcake and fly off.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Restaurants with outdoor seating areas use monofliament strung over the area to keep seagulls away. It works pretty well. If they don't have it up a gull will literally pick up your clamcake and fly off.
Interesting! I used to use lightweight twine stretched tightly between sticks and several inches above my strawberries -- about one ever 3-4 feet or so -- with strips of heavy duty aluminum foil, cut about an inch wide and a foot long or so, folded and pinched onto the lines. It wasn't the lines and "foiled" the strawberry-stealing birds, but the flashing, vibration and even sound of the strips of foil, as the least bit of breeze -- even from the bird wings as they approached the plants -- would set off enough vibration to set the strips in motion.

There was plenty of room between the strings for us to walk and pick and it was interesting to watch the birds, who never did figure it out. Not even the magpies... one of which had been sort of tamed by a neighbor and who was able and willing to land on your picking basket, when you stood erect for a moment, to snatch a berry. But even he would not fly into the patch.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Interesting! I used to use lightweight twine stretched tightly between sticks and several inches above my strawberries -- about one ever 3-4 feet or so -- with strips of heavy duty aluminum foil, cut about an inch wide and a foot long or so, folded and pinched onto the lines. It wasn't the lines and "foiled" the strawberry-stealing birds, but the flashing, vibration and even sound of the strips of foil, as the least bit of breeze -- even from the bird wings as they approached the plants -- would set off enough vibration to set the strips in motion.

There was plenty of room between the strings for us to walk and pick and it was interesting to watch the birds, who never did figure it out. Not even the magpies... one of which had been sort of tamed by a neighbor and who was able and willing to land on your picking basket, when you stood erect for a moment, to snatch a berry. But even he would not fly into the patch.
I'm looking forward to being more bird friendly as soon as our ancient cat (17) goes to the happy hunting ground in the sky. She's hung on MUCH longer than we thought she would, must be the steady diet of bird heads..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
My favorite trans-Atlantic word maven takes a stab at it on this page
Okat

Why does "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okat

Why does "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?
Slow up is a carry over from horse days. When you pulled on the reins to slow a horse he raised his head up....slow-up.
Slow down is modern referring to the way the front end of a car dives when braking. slow down

Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
I'm looking forward to being more bird friendly as soon as our ancient cat (17) goes to the happy hunting ground in the sky. She's hung on MUCH longer than we thought she would, must be the steady diet of bird heads..
Maineah, didn't you used to have a dog...very contrary type of critter as I recall your description...I think you said he lived in your garage or something. Had behavioral problems or something? Just wondered about him, with me being a dog person and all. I wouldn't miss the cat, either!

...As for that slow up and slow down stuff, I think you just made all of that up!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Maineah, didn't you used to have a dog...very contrary type of critter as I recall your description...I think you said he lived in your garage or something. Had behavioral problems or something? Just wondered about him, with me being a dog person and all. I wouldn't miss the cat, either!

...As for that slow up and slow down stuff, I think you just made all of that up!
Yes...the dog is no longer with us. It's been about a year and a half. I'd like to say I miss him but I don't, neither does anyone else in the family. Not all dogs are wonderful. He had issues. Springer rage and a tendency to bite, hard, and without warning. You'll excuse me if I have soured on canines through a number of bad experiences with them. We're all done with dogs in this family. The cat we fully expected to be gone long before the dog but she hangs in there. She drinks about a quart and a half of water every day and sleeps 99% of the time but she's ok. She can't hear a thing and stays in the house most of the time now to avoid getting eaten by a fox or a fisher. She has a loud eerie cry and moan she does now that will stand the hair up on your head...as I said she can't hear a thing and doesn't know how loud she is.
And yes I did make up the slow-up and slow-down stuff.....

Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
... The cat we fully expected to be gone long before the dog but she hangs in there. She drinks about a quart and a half of water every day and sleeps 99% of the time but she's ok. She can't hear a thing and stays in the house most of the time now to avoid getting eaten by a fox or a fisher. She has a loud eerie cry and moan she does now that will stand the hair up on your head...as I said she can't hear a thing and doesn't know how loud she is.
We have a couple Maine Coon cats that love to prowl the house at night and cry [a rolling howling growl sound].

Quote:
. ..And yes I did make up the slow-up and slow-down stuff.....
Really.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM

I had the weirdest dream last night. I was at some place that processed gold. They had all kinds of nice shiny machines taking common items and turning it into gold powder. Then the powder was taken into a large room where it was put into one of 12 furnaces and melted down into ingots. Only one of the twelve furnaces was working for some reason and the others were idle. They had a tank of special "gold fish" which actually had scales made of gold. They digested gold from seawater and it formed on the outside of their scales and it was harvested from them without killing them. They said a tank full of fish produced $44,000 a year in gold from seawater. Told you it was weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine