Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 40,195 times

Advertisements

I am looking to build a 2 story 3-4,000 square foot contemporary style house in the augusta area. I have the land all purchased and ready to build on, i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea/estimate of what i should expect to pay. thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 04:23 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,690 times
This totally depends upon the materials and finishes. If you are looking at a house with a construction value (not including land value) average to good finishes you are probably looking at $150/ft, low to average
finishes about $100 and very good $200-$250 and mansion quality apx $250-300. Site development, utility hook-ups, sewer connections, additional foundation work and architectural plans as well as land cost are additional.

I'd use $150/ft if you plan on hiring it done turnkey. (someone builds it, you walk in and turn the key)

Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Maine has some excellent contractors. Will you be here during construction? I recommend submitting your plans to at least three contractors, visiting homes they have built and talking with the owners. You need to be very comfortable with the builder in such a project.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
$150+ per square foot seems pretty high for typical construction in central Maine. I bet $120 is more like it and that would include septic, foundation and finish grading.

You can get pretty nice new construction for $135 per square foot right now in the Boston suburbs, it must be at least 10% cheaper in the Augusta area.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgehb32 View Post
I am looking to build a 2 story 3-4,000 square foot contemporary style house in the augusta area. I have the land all purchased and ready to build on, i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea/estimate of what i should expect to pay. thanks
Don't build a contemporary in Maine.

Build a reproduction old house (and be sure it's an accurate reproduction of a classic style, not an architecturally illiterate wanna be. Off the shelf plans are even available--for example: http://reproductionhouseplans.com/NE_Collection.html ).

At the very least, unless you'll be located in the woods by yourself, look around at other houses in the neighborhood, to be sure the style house you want will fit in.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 02-03-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,055 times
I agree with Kellysmith, $150/sq ft is a very good ballpark figure. I just finished having one built this Jan. 2300 sq ft, 3 br, 2 1/2 bath, open concept, 1 flr, walkout basement, attached 36x32 3 car garage, 56x12 deck...etc.

You will incur extra costs to have electric brought down in, well dug, heating. If you need fill, add that in if they need more than they dig out. Driveway in. Then as you go along, you need to keep in mind you may add as you go so factor in having about 10K-15K extra for that. The builder will give you allowances for cabinets, appliances etc...you may go over that too. A well dug can cost between 4K-6K on the average. If you are having plans done ( I designed my own) and a builder friend who does plans did it for me, will cost you too. Or you can find something and send away for plans. If you are applying for a construction loan, factor in all the extras you aren't paying cash for and make sure you have at the minimum 20% down. Banks are also looking at how much cash you have in reserve/on hand. Credit score has to be up there or they won't even talk to you. Also, the amount you are looking for needs to fall in what the assessed value is by the bank.

I could go on, it was an interesting experience. The one suggestion I can make that will make everything easy on the mind...do homework and get a GOOD CONSCIENTIOUS BUILDER! Shop around and make inquiries. Check better business bureau and ask locally. I had a builder who was more intent on quality and what pleased me rather than "how much".

Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 41,477 times
Default Building in Belfast

I am working with an architect on a one story, multiple gabled roof with 2 car garage. 1st floor master, 2 bedrooms in walk out "basement" on cleared lot with short driveway. He is quoting $175-225. The builders don't seem to want to take the 30% haircut that us homeowners have had to take so it makes it hard to sell low and buy high. If you have a midcoast builder you like and was in this price range or less, I'll have you over for dinner after the house is built.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,545 times
You can get an almost exact amount if you purchase one of those modular made in a factory items. They come to your site in about 5 or 7 pieces and the whole thing bolts together on your foundation. My current renters are building one on Mount Desert Island.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post

At the very least, unless you'll be located in the woods by yourself, look around at other houses in the neighborhood, to be sure the style house you want will fit in.
Why? Is there some special need to conform to what everyone else is doing, to look the same as they do?

If *I* were going to build a house, that *I* was going to be living in, I'd build what *I* wanted and not give a flying fig about what everyone else's house looked like.

But then, I'm a rabid non-conformist anyway. Which is why I live where I do. I do what I want and no one tells me I can't.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
These prices are for multiple baths, triple paned bay windows, granite counters and marble floors. If you want a classic home for about a third of these costs or less, take a look at these folks.

Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.

(I do not represent these people and am not a builder. I am just familiar with their products.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine