Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Eastport gets a Navy ship in port for a visit nearly every year during the July 4 celebration. Sometimes there are a couple of hundred drunken sailors in town at the same time.
Most of the time they are well behaved. Always a few though. And what I like is that they love pizza delivered to the ship. They look good in their whites marching in the parade and always draw a lot of applause. Some of the guys even blush over the attention. This year we are getting the USS De Wert:

Navy frigate to visit Eastport, Maine - Navy News, news from Iraq - Navy Times

USS De Wert (FFG 45)

Looking forward to the 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Most of the time they are well behaved. Always a few though. And what I like is that they love pizza delivered to the ship. They look good in their whites marching in the parade and always draw a lot of applause.
Oh, they really are nice to have in town. (I just couldn't resist making a little joke about the drunken sailors.) We always have several groups walking past our house, either on the way to the IGA or looking for a place where a cell phone will work. They are always pleasant to have a conversation with. They do indeed look good in the parade. Don Dunbar has taken some terrific pictures of the ship crews.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Dredged from the depths of the CD forums........................

Quote:

Now I have a question (seeing as the thread is about Eastport questions). It's not as if Eastport is a destination on the lips of the rest of the U.S. so how did you folks find out about us and decide you wanted to live here? Ken, I know how you and Michelle found this place. Family heirloom. But how about the rest of you? I ask a few people that come into the office this question and get some really cool answers.
I had to answer! Fell in love in 2001 on a 2 week US 1 trip from Key West to Maine. I loved all of Maine but something about Eastport got me and here we are, 11 years later and I'm still dreaming of the day things will all line up and I'll be able to make. Realtor dot com is my best friend and my husband's worst enemy. I always feel better after day dreaming about a move and looking at houses. Poor hubby gets bummed because he wants to go and knows we can't for a while yet. I've got pictures of one house that's up for sale on my Facebook page. When I have a bad day at work, I go through them and think 'yep, I'll put the patio table and chairs there and a grill over there, the bed in this window...........' It'll happen, some day!

Quote:
Most homes in Eastport are heated with oil. You have city water and sewer, so you don't need a well. Gas is cheaper off-island (usually). Johnson's Mobil in Pembroke is usually cheapest. The IGA in Eastport is surprisingly well stocked for such a small town, but other stores are available in Calais, including a small WalMart, a Marden's and EBS. Calais is ~20 miles away; figure on a 40-45 minute drive. Bigger stores are in Bangor, 125-130 miles away. Eastport has more restaurants than a city its size should have. You have your choice of several places for coffee (or whatever). There are groups of "regulars" at several of them. Two banks have branches in Eastport.

Practice your HO-HO-HO and plan for a trip to Sunday River in early December for the Santa Ski.
20 miles is a 40 minute drive? This must be the Maine distance clocking I've heard of. You give distance in time not miles for example? What is the reason for the time of that drive out of curiosity? Where we are now we're 15 miles from town and it's less than 20 minutes. Where we moved from though we were 15 miles away and it could take an hour because of traffic. Very little traffic where we are now, but I can't imagine there's that much traffic there, yes? Or perhaps it's weather? Or mountains??

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I hope I can find a very small house I can heat with electric baseboard heaters without going broke.

I don't think a well would be practical on the island.

Who needs money? There is no place to spend it.

You will probably rack up less miles living in Eastport, get a small car and you will probably fill up once a month.

The two best restaurants are Bank Square Pizza and Rosie's Hot Dogs.

There is an IGA that is within walking distance for most, it is not a large grocery store but bigger than a convience store, there is a wal-mart and a hospital in Calais and the drive is nothing, no traffic, no rush hour, no stop lights and the scenery is beautiful.

When we get there we will probably have keg parties every weekend, you are all invited.

When you get to Eastport you will see that the hassles and headaches of life in the midwest are not issues there.
When do you plan to move? Or have you already? I'm so ready to go!!!

Quote:
No webcams in town. Spinnaker dumped theirs for the cost last I knew. Maybe someone can talk the Commons Ladies to put one up and we can watch the sardine drop from anywhere in the world next year. LOL

Laugh if you will, but I'd certainly much rather tune in for an on line sardine dropping than watching a big tacky ball on the TV any day of the week!

Quote:
Here ya go, Jolly:

How to Speak Like a Mainer | eHow.com

Speak Like a Mainer

How to Talk Like A Mainer

Visit Maine - Irreverant Guide to Vacationland

Confused Are You

Proud to talk like a Mainer / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, though, but no matter how well you learn to talk the talk, you'll still be "From Away!" (That's OK, though. Mainahs love to make fun of my Southern accent.)
Glad they love you accent. I've picked up some 'Tennessee' living here the last six years. Noticed it today when workers were out doing the walls on the new cat building of our shelter. For a brief moment it felt like I was listening to someone else. Where did that accent come from?

Quote:
Sometimes. You can't get a signal everywhere in Eastport. There is no cell tower on Moose Island. If you are down on the waterfront, you might connect via a Canadian tower on Deer Island or Campabello. It's common to see people between the IGA and The First using cell phones because they get a decent signal from the mainland there. You do want to be aware that International Roaming Charges can be expensive.
There is part of me that's really excited that there's no cell service for the most part. I've found lately that having that blasted phone attached to me 24/7 and having no escape for even a moment is stressful. Would be nice to walk down to a restaurant with hubby and have lunch and not be bothered by ringing. Just makes Eastport sound even more wonderful!

Ok, sorry for dredging up an old thread. Had been looking at the photos of the house in Eastport again and someone told me they'd sent me a message here. Went to check and wound up here looking for more Eastport threads. *sigh* Some day!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

When do you plan to move? Or have you already? I'm so ready to go!
It may be another 10 or 12 years, depends on how much money we can save up, can't count on a job in the area, have to live on savings.

So which house are you looking at?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM

56 posts, read 112,661 times
Mrs1885 I too dream of moving to Maine! I too look at all the real estate websites. Of course hubby doesn't want to leave here. He has a great job but he needs to turn it into a telecommute/work from home, which I think he could. He works with computers.

I have a great reason for moving besides the awesomeness of the state. I want my daughter to go to a school that isn't overcrowded. She just started first grade and there are 37 kids in her class. It sucks and will probably only get worse as she gets older. I am tired of the rain. I live in the Northwest. I want 4 seasons not two. We don't have a fall that can come even close to comparison with Maine.

I have been up to Maine a couple times and I almost moved there but my ex decided he didn't want to. I should of dumped him and stayed in Maine.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
Eastport is also one of my choices - if Mid-Coast ends up not being affordable for me (i'm looking for a decent house with a salt-waterview/waterfront).

A friend of mine moved to Eastport last year and opened a pet store - they LOVE IT there - are so happy they made their move. Her husband retired, they bought TWO places up there after only ONE visit (i believe). I love hearing about her Maine happiness.

I hope to move as soon as i can sell my house in NJ for a decent price. This is what is holding me back.

Good luck! Jill

PS. I have THREE Maine Pinterest pages lol...

Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
A friend of mine moved to Eastport last year and opened a pet store ...
HAHA! the old shag, dramamama and I were in there last year and dano came in while we were there to hang a flier for an art show and we had gotten to talking and she asked us how we knew Dan Wagner so we explained to her about how we know so many people in the area because of city-data. So at least we won't be moving to an area where we do not know anyone.

Gee what don't I have a picture of in Eastport?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Hate to tell you guys, but, the good old USA gov't has had info on where you place cell phone calls from since about 2 years after 911. You cannot turn off the GPS tracking device in your phone!
Any photo you take with an iPhone or android phone will have GPS co-ordinates embedded within the image file where the photo was taken.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM

56 posts, read 112,661 times
nice picture.

Trying to decide if I want to volunteer in my daughters class. I am thinking No because I am patient but 37 1st grader will probably tax me to the max, plus I am trying find a job here so i can crap paid off (bad debt). Then if we really want it will make it a bit easier to up root and move.

Have the leaves started turning yet? I miss that so much as I am from western PA. They change here in Oregon but not nearly as drmatic as back east probably because we don't get those cold nights.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
Yep - there's her store - Eastport Pets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine