Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:33 AM

233 posts, read 417,891 times

Advertisements

About how much would an apartment be in northern Maine, around Presque Isle? Most of the apartment websites don't even cover that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,538 times
Some websites will give names of apartments and the phone number. your best bet is to give them a call and ask for pictures and any more information on them. I need to do that soon in Fort Kent.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Google for the local newspaper and check the classifieds on line.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 33,433 times
Default Possibly teaching at UMaine Fort Kent during Summer 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
Some websites will give names of apartments and the phone number. your best bet is to give them a call and ask for pictures and any more information on them. I need to do that soon in Fort Kent.
Hi Unhappycamper,

I've seen your posting all over this message board. Thus, I considering you an expert on Northern Maine. I am Ph.D. student at The University of Alabama (originally from the North Shore of Massachusetts so I used to -20 degree wind chills). As you can imagine summer is when I rake in my money. The questions I have for you are as follow:

(1) How often does UMFK hire individuals (in particular, faculty) from outside the area?

(2) What is the going rent for Fort Kent? (My rent here in Alabama is $500 a month + util).

(3) Though I do not speak french, I am Roman Catholic, would I fit in the community fairly well if hired?

I did visit Presque Isle in October 1997 so I am familar with the COLD WEATHER!

Would it be a wise temporary move?

Thanks,

David

Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Dave View Post
Hi Unhappycamper,

I've seen your posting all over this message board. Thus, I considering you an expert on Northern Maine. I am Ph.D. student at The University of Alabama (originally from the North Shore of Massachusetts so I used to -20 degree wind chills).

I did visit Presque Isle in October 1997 so I am familar with the COLD WEATHER!

LOL October isn't even close to the cold months in Presque Isle. Shoot we are still not into the cold months and have had days with the wind chill below 0 already (today at noon the wind chill was -1 in PI). -20 wind chill is really early December weather and then again March weather. Wind chills of -50 to -60+ is the cold months up here in Presque Isle. I live 10 miles outside of PI and may be able to answer some of your questions. What are they exactly? The ones posted are a bit vague.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Well, I am potentially going to teaching at UMFK and I wanted to know what are the current rents for a one - bedroom apartment in Fort Kent? I would imagine since the median income is around 32K a year, they can't terribly expensive.

Do you know any decent landords/realators in Fort Kent? If so, do you have their names and phone numbers? Also, it may work out to be that I only have teach for one-term (6 weeks) in summer up in Fort Kent. That being said, is there any cost-effective short-term housing? Does UMFK rent out their dorm rooms during the summer?

Hopefully, if I can secure a firm spot as an adjunct-faculty (part-time/temporary) and if I like the community of Fort Kent, I might apply for a Full-Temporary/Post-Doctoral position after I get my Ph.D.

Thank you for any and all help.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 AM

What are the local newspapers Fort Kent, Presque Isle, and Eagle Lake?

Oh, by the way, how far is Frenchville from UMFK Fort Kent? Is it a real long drive?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:14 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,538 times
Well Bud, I got bad news. Due to a change in my Major I am not transferring to UMFK (yet???). I was not able to find out an accurate price for the Apartments since I decided I would be living on Campus and I am not sure how the hire.

Sorry I could not have been more help.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Your best bet is to directly contact UMFK. Welcome to the University of Maine at Fort Kent

They do hire outside the area, according to their needs. I do not know if they are hiring at this time.

They also would have a list of landlords and apartments in the area. Along with an average price I would think.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Can you tell me the name of the local newspapers? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine