Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 PM

66 posts, read 113,460 times

Advertisements

We have found a house in Farmington and are hoping to move this Spring. We're coming from the NYC suburbs. What's it like to live in Farmington? I'm looking for info/recs on good vets, doctors, chiropractors, dentists. Good restaurants (doesn't have to be fancy and we're not picky eaters...just wondering what the good "local" places are). What is cable/internet/cell reception like? Is there even cable service available or do you have to have satellite? Best places to shop? Basically, what should we be sure to seek out and/or what do we need to know about the town and surrounding area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 PM

19 posts, read 39,352 times
There are no good restaurants and there is nothing really to do. Lots of pizza burgers that kind of thing if you want to go out. and we finally got a pizza hut, kfc and taco bell to go with the burger king and mcDonalds lol.. Oh yeah the truck stop has food and a place to eat.

Enjoy yourself as it depends exactly what road you're on what kind/if any cable you're going to get! Wilton is worse. Shop? I'd go 2 hours to portland for variety but you could go half that far to Maine's 'armpit' (Lewiston/Auburn) for the mall.

The local shelter is way too pricey and if you mention that on their FaceBook page you'll be admonished..come on a $400 bird at a shelter that I can pick up for half that at the store? but the vet in town is very nice and right there when you need them.

Been in town 20 years and haven't found a doctor worth their salt. Been with the same ob/gyn all this time...just lost my insurance and he wants $175 from me to let me in the door nevermind the paps test...
Hey, you asked!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Farmington has one of the best local hospitals around-Franklin Memorial.
The University of Maine at Farmington is a well respected teacher's college that attracts students from around New England pumping much money into the local economy.
Besides Franklin County is the healthiest (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/137074.html - broken link) in the state.
Too bad Oxford County ranks on the bottom of "fittest."
......gotta go exercise now......
Time Warner Roadrunner is available throughout the county.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Farmington is alright (I know it very well), but it seems to be losing a lot of stuff lately. It's probably overpriced, if that matters to you.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,133 times
I met a very nice family that relocated to Farmington, ME from VA. They spoke very highly of the town and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Said it was a dream come true for them.........

I have never been there, but I wanted to counter-act the negativity....

Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 AM

13 posts, read 20,041 times
Is there a paper mill in Jay

Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlchase View Post
Is there a paper mill in Jay
use to be - I think it is still there

I worked in Jay for a year- (not at a mill) and found the people very decent

farmington is a nice town- it's known as a college town- however, it is also the gateway to the mountains of maine such as sugarloaf-also you can head out to Rangeley area which is a beautiful area, of mountains and lakes

Like most places in maine- it's what you make of it

Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
I spent three days in Farmington on business a few years ago and almost didn't leave. The local municipal band performs concerts each week in the summer at the bandstand in the park across from the courthouse. There was a great used-book store. The restaurant situation is iffy. For some reason that part of the state (and I include Augusta, the restaurant desert of Maine) doesn't seem to attract memorable eateries. There's the Village Inn in Belgrade Lakes on the road to Augusta -- great duck! The hospital is well respected. The university campus offers various events and activities. For skiers, there are some first class ski mountains just down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine