U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM

783 posts, read 1,449,426 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I was sitting out by the woodpile in the sun with a cup o' this morning, and I heard the Mourning Doves for the first time this year. This made me think that we are indeed nearing spring.

This time of year, it seems like each day brings something new - even if it is only that, if it's out, the sun shines a bit stronger & longer. The shadows are changing. The buds on the trees are swelling. Chickadees are singing their 'spring song'. The old snow is going. The cat stays outside longer. The driveway is getting squishy. In another week, the OH General Store will re-open for the year; Dairy Queen in Rockland has already re-opened! I can let the fire go out in the morning and don't need to light it again 'till evening. Stuff like this.

Each season in Maine is, to me, nothing short of spectacular - awesome, really. Each season, I find myself saying that this is my favorite season. I've finally realized that I love it all. Well, the rain last spring/summer was a little much !

I'm wondering...what are some of the harbingers of spring in Maine for you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM

44,150 posts, read 20,318,741 times
I saw a yellow gold finch this morning on the thistle seed feeder.....(I didnt know until this year that the males lose their golden color for the winter....well its coming back.)

I saw a maple tree with taps on it this morning...on the way to church.

I see the squirrels getting a bit friskey with one another.....

I saw a rose breasted grosbek this morning.....I dont know if thats a sign of spring....but it was unusual to me.

The hawks seem to be taking advantage of the lack of snow cover to hunt for mice and voles....lots of hawks around my place....also saw two foxes in the back yard last night.

A daffodil is coming up in a sunny spot out back.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM

701 posts, read 1,007,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I saw a yellow gold finch this morning on the thistle seed feeder.....(I didnt know until this year that the males lose their golden color for the winter....well its coming back.)

I saw a maple tree with taps on it this morning...on the way to church.

I see the squirrels getting a bit friskey with one another.....

I saw a rose breasted grosbek this morning.....I dont know if thats a sign of spring....but it was unusual to me.

The hawks seem to be taking advantage of the lack of snow cover to hunt for mice and voles....lots of hawks around my place....also saw two foxes in the back yard last night.

A daffodil is coming up in a sunny spot out back.

Really?!!!!! No sign of that here in NC yet...........wow, is that usual for this time of year or is that because you've had less snow?

BTW....great thread idea, Maureen!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM

44,150 posts, read 20,318,741 times
I think this is very early .... but I havent live in maine more than two springs so I cant really speak of what is usual. ....Where the daffydowndillies are coming up is an an area on a slope with a south eastern exposure...and pretty intense sunshine--the snow is gone there and it is muddy.....there is also an onion I must have missed last fall sending up green shoots.

Another sign of spring......the spring cleaning bug has bitten me.

The sound of running water.....that was one of the things that brought me back to New England after trying to adapt to southern california......I hungered for the sound of brooks ..... the gurgling babbling gladness of running water....I can hear it now from my back deck and on my morning walk with the dogs we pass a brook that is running freely and in which there is an emerald green leafy plant growing among the rocks.

"Appalachian Spring" playing on Public Radio!

Last edited by elston; 02-22-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,285,648 times
I have not seen any signs of green yet (but will go inspect the kitty-willows (can't write that other word here! ) out back tomorrow.

signs of spring for me: the red "no heavy load" signs on the side roads.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 AM

6,314 posts, read 12,298,437 times
Pilated woodpeckers have started banging out their territory wars.

I haven't had grosbeaks, crossbills, purple or house finches, either redpoll or pine siskins yet this winter. I'm still on the first 25 pound bag of birds seed and usually go through 100 pounds or more a month starting in October. I can't say this year that spring is coming because the winter birds are leaving.

BUMP!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM

4,972 posts, read 11,119,259 times
I can take longer walks with the dogs! Our pug's little feet were freezing every time we walked, so sometimes I had to carry him home. Another sign: The heat doesn't kick on nearly as much! (Nice thread, Maureen! Let's hope we're not jinxing the weather...)

Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM

42 posts, read 85,015 times
I smelled Spring, when I reached my road last Wed. evening!! Bliss (even though I love winter, too!)!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM

6,314 posts, read 12,298,437 times
I read a report of turkey vultures back in the state today.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,727,679 times
Cars, pickups, snowmobiles and ATVs are going through the ice all over lower maine. It happens every spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine