Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 AM

643 posts, read 1,481,155 times

Advertisements

We are fortunate in that we don't have to leave - it's just challenging to stay. DH works for a large company and while they didn't mind buying special technology for him to be here - it's frustrating to them when it isn't reliable and causes disruptions. It is the plan to move an office here (new jobs) from another state that aren't going to happen. And a number of the reasons are listed by others throughout this thread.

Remember the title of the thread: HOW to grow Maine's economy?

Improving comm technology should be one of the top 5 strategies is my point.

Becoming a business-friendly state (one that welcomes new people and paves a path for new business) is my #1 strategy suggestion. I can probably come up with 100 tactics to advance that strategy. (More investment in the Portland airport would be another. The airport is a major obstacle to attracting new industries. Much more so than the climate.)

Some of the improvements in Maine's business climate need to be made by state and local government, but not all of them.

Of equal, perhaps greater importance, is the difference the people of Maine can initiate through a groundswell of changed attitudes. The concept of "be the change you want to see in the world" comes to mind.

A perfect example is this flimsy excuse that all of the U.S. is behind the world in global communications so Maine's problems aren't really any worse than the rest of the country.

In context, that's bunk. It keeps us from improving. And that's the "stuck in the mud" condition I wrote about earlier.

Stop the excuses. That might be on my top 5 strategies also. It's not the climate, people. And it sure as hell isn't the landscape. If Mainers would channel some of their arrogance into taking some pride in economic development -- then this place would be hot (pun intended) and the quality of life would improve ---> drammatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post

A perfect example is this flimsy excuse that all of the U.S. is behind the world in global communications so Maine's problems aren't really any worse than the rest of the country.

In context, that's bunk. It keeps us from improving. And that's the "stuck in the mud" condition I wrote about earlier.

Stop the excuses. That might be on my top 5 strategies also. It's not the climate, people. And it sure as hell isn't the landscape. If Mainers would channel some of their arrogance into taking some pride in economic development -- then this place would be hot (pun intended) and the quality of life would improve ---> drammatically.
If you were referring to my comment as being an excuse, it wasn't. I was merely saying that Maine's connectivity sucks, and the US as a whole isn't much better.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 21,986 times
Retiredtinbender hit the nail on the head. As a Maine business owner and employer, I can tell you the DEP is a major problem for the economy in this state. To say that they are overzealous in creating and enforcing regulations which justify their jobs would be putting it mildly.I have been told that DEP has more employees than any other gov. agency in Maine. I operate a "green" business and am not anti-environmental by any means, but I am of the firm opinion that bureaucrats and regulators are ruining our state.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,921,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
We are fortunate in that we don't have to leave - it's just challenging to stay. DH works for a large company and while they didn't mind buying special technology for him to be here - it's frustrating to them when it isn't reliable and causes disruptions. It is the plan to move an office here (new jobs) from another state that aren't going to happen. And a number of the reasons are listed by others throughout this thread.

this is interesting. I wonder what KIND of jobs, in what industry, and where those jobs were going to be?

Improving comm technology should be one of the top 5 strategies is my point.

This is something that an awful lot of people say, but few cite specific ideas about what needs to be improved, and then how to do it. Fifteen years ago I was ready to disconnect from the telephone company and use a cell phone exclusively. The the cell phone systems apparently changed, because my cell phone coverage here is merely OK. In the end, I disconnected from the telephone company and now use Internet telephone exclusively, and don't even own a cell phone. I suspect that the technology changed to a different frequency of digital service or some sort, and that cut the effective coverage of the cell towers available.

Twenty odd years ago the governor made a big deal about demanding better telecommunications services in Maine. When the 911 system was built, $80 million was handed to Bell Atlantic (remember them?) to install the system. They were sold before the system could be installed, and operated, and I think it was two telephone companies later that finally got the system in and working. That had nothing to do with Maine. It had everything to do with the Federal government's deregulation of the telecommunications industry.

It is also useful to remember that Maine has only 1.3 million people scattered over a very large area. How much financial "clout" do you think that Maine really has? Here's a hint: VERY few people equals VERY little financial clout.

Becoming a business-friendly state (one that welcomes new people and paves a path for new business) is my #1 strategy suggestion.

OK. I'll buy into the "ya gotta have a warm, touchy-feely" attitude bit for business development. But what sort of business are you thinking of? Are you thinking of some sort of hard materials industrial business, or perhaps some sort of large manufacturing facility? If so, where should that go? Portland area? How would it fit with the population that exists there, considering what the unemployment rate is? how about Bangor? How about Ellsworth? Millinocket? All of those places theoretically have a certain labor pool...small...but a labor pool nonetheless. So a large company is expected to come in to Maine, open up a facility that hires, oh, 150 people and will have to train all of them to do the job? Why when they can move to North Carolina or Tulsa or someplace else that already has a trained labor pool, or warmer climate or lower utility rates.
I can probably come up with 100 tactics to advance that strategy.Then you should. Please name one or two that aren't destroyed by logistical or economic forces that do not originate inside the state of Maine.

(More investment in the Portland airport would be another. The airport is a major obstacle to attracting new industries. Much more so than the climate.)Why do you say this? The Portland Jetport can accomodate any aircraft current flying passenger or cargo missions anywhere in the world. It IS limited in how much it can grow because expansion of the facility will be very expensive and it is doubtful that anyone will want to pay for a bond issue to buy up parts of South Portland or Westbrook to enlarge the airport. If cargo handling is what you are considering, then there are a LOT of options in Maine already, some developed and some that will be developed. In the Portland area, eventually the Brunswick Naval Air Base will be available for development, and it will be developed much like Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth is being developed.

Bangor is another facility that already IS developed, and as far as being able to handle air traffic is concerned, Bangor International Airport makes the Portland Jetport look like a postage stamp. If that isn't sufficient, there is Loring Air Force Base, and that facility gives Portland and Bangor claustrophobia. Incidentally, all of these facilities have complete ILS equipment for 24/7/365 operations.

I doubt that there is any issue with air transportation in Maine. The issue is ground transportation, and Maine does need to develop rail transportation for cargo and passenger transit throughout the state. That will require FEDERAL dollars. Maine is already working on some rail transit, but the entire country has devoted itself to the private passenger automobile and the diesel truck for so long that rail transportation has suffered, especially here in the Northeast.

Of equal, perhaps greater importance, is the difference the people of Maine can initiate through a groundswell of changed attitudes. The concept of "be the change you want to see in the world" comes to mind.

And what specifically should Maine think of changing in to? New Jersey? Any specifics?

In context, that's bunk. It keeps us from improving. And that's the "stuck in the mud" condition I wrote about earlier. Oh, I doubt that entirely. Comparatively Maine is no better nor worse than most of the rest of the country with similar population development. Perhaps there are connectivity issues in southwestern portions of Maine, but for the most part, it seems that people who have trouble with communications are those in areas of sparce populations. This is an economic issue: it costs money to develop communications infrastructure and this is done by private companies. Are you suggesting that the state of Maine should take over telecommunications in Maine?

Arrogance? Well, I dunno. I do know that an awful lot of people who live here now, including those who have fairly recently moved here "from away" are interested in economic development provided it doesn't beget the squalor of those "developed" states that enjoy industrial employment, large scale residential development and drive-by shootings every night.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,554,081 times
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I searched, but you now...

Anyways what about creating more public lands? To draw even more tourists from all over?
A vision for the North Woods | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,207,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I searched, but you now...

Anyways what about creating more public lands? To draw even more tourists from all over?
A vision for the North Woods | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
You don't really want to further shrink your taxable properties. The people that currently have jobs in that area, are making more money than any service sector job of tourism.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,481,706 times
The Washington County Food Alliance is a group of farmers, food producers and consumers working together to build agricultural infrastructure in the county. We targeted two "you're killing us" laws last week while in the Hall of Flags. Phone calls and letters are helpful but the here we are, face-to-face approach got the legislature's attention. We asked for permission to have a one page info sheet distributed to desks to be waiting for them Thursday morning. The ag committee will look at one of the laws, chicken processing, closely. Something obviously has to change but it probably won't be a quick fix. It's a minor change in the way the law is written. That change will create three or four jobs on one farm. The second law regarding small businesses bottling juices can be easily corrected. We expect to see the change next year. That will allow a few small businesses to expand their products. I don't remember how many jobs it will create.

The Alliance is contracting with a local person for distribution. One project he's taking on in three weeks will put $650 into the local economy rather than in UPS's pocket.

One farm is contracting with the UMaine system to provide fresh vegetables to a university campus for the 10/11 school year.

We're backing a state inspected slaughter house in Alexander. The business would open without us but the support we're lending is helping the process. It will create seven new jobs in the slaughter house.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,207,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The Washington County Food Alliance is a group of farmers, food producers and consumers working together to build agricultural infrastructure in the county. We targeted two "you're killing us" laws last week while in the Hall of Flags. Phone calls and letters are helpful but the here we are, face-to-face approach got the legislature's attention. We asked for permission to have a one page info sheet distributed to desks to be waiting for them Thursday morning. The ag committee will look at one of the laws, chicken processing, closely. Something obviously has to change but it probably won't be a quick fix. It's a minor change in the way the law is written. That change will create three or four jobs on one farm. The second law regarding small businesses bottling juices can be easily corrected. We expect to see the change next year. That will allow a few small businesses to expand their products. I don't remember how many jobs it will create.

The Alliance is contracting with a local person for distribution. One project he's taking on in three weeks will put $650 into the local economy rather than in UPS's pocket.

One farm is contracting with the UMaine system to provide fresh vegetables to a university campus for the 10/11 school year.

We're backing a state inspected slaughter house in Alexander. The business would open without us but the support we're lending is helping the process. It will create seven new jobs in the slaughter house.

This is a great start! Thanks for the news.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,481,706 times
Quote:
I misspoke. The slaughter house is open now. It would gain state inspection without us. Meat processed at a state inspected facility can be sold by the grower to consumers inside the state of Maine. The meat will come back to the producer frozen in cryovac packages, labeled and ready for sale.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,145,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

BRAVO! Thanks for the information. Here would be a good time to remind everyone to support the local farmers as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine