Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,730,924 times

Advertisements

So sorry he did not make it. You are a kind soul to have tried so hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 06:49 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,506,564 times
It's been a bad year for lambing. Lost about 1/3 of my lambs when 15% is the normal. Of all the lambs (lambing season is over now), I brought 3 inside hoping a lot of TLC would get them through and the wife joked that it was worse for them as all 3 died.

The last one was the worst, #225. He was a triplet and orphaned, went from bad, to good, back to bad and then came around again. Just when I thought he would pull through, he got real sick and died on the 7th day; a full week inside the house with every possible treatment for him. I swear I would have done reflexology on his hoofs if I thought it would have done some good. But yesterday morning I got up at 2 AM and he was in duress but alive, but after taking a shower I found he had died. :-(

But so it is. I am a man of God and at the beginning of every lambing season pray a lot for the lambs, put them in the Lord's hands and let his will be done, even though it is tough. Perhaps this lambing season was to show my little girl the cycle of life (she is 3) or maybe the wife what farm life is like...I don't know, but we'll make due with what we got, do things to improve lamb survivability in February and move on.

Life is good, even though many lambs did not make it. Just the way it is...I just wish I had the wisdom to know why?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,506,564 times
Here is a picture of #225 inside our house in his make-shift barn; my daughters pop out Dora the Explorer tent! You got to be creative when you are a Maine Sheep Farmer!
Attached Thumbnails
Nickering from the Couch?-number-two-twenty-five-small.jpg  

Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM

98 posts, read 196,769 times
Sorry to hear of your losses, BrokenTap. Wonder if little #225 got enough colostrum? For non-farm folk, colostrum is the nutrient rich first milk that all must drink to get the much-needed antibodies to bolster the animals immune system. I try to keep frozen goat colostrum on hand, as sometimes the mothers don't produce enough. If the babies don't get enough, they usually do pass on... And it is a heartbreaking affair to see a baby critter rally for life, then suddenly pass...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine