Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we need stricter gun control?
No 31 88.57%
Maybe, but probably not 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

We could do way worse. Like # 43, 42, 41, 39, 38, 37, or 36, f'rinstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:24 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Democrats want our money, our property, and our guns. The New republicans want our money and our property. And the Guiliani/Bloomberg wing wants our guns.
BTW, hate crimes laws are uniformly unconstitutional in that they violate the equal protection clause.
Time for new parties.
2008 is our chance to vote for a 3rd party, will you stand up and take a chance or will you cave in and vote for the lesser of two evils like always?
as for me I will not vote for any member of the two party's ever again.

bill

Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM

121 posts, read 515,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
2008 is our chance to vote for a 3rd party, will you stand up and take a chance or will you cave in and vote for the lesser of two evils like always?

bill
They'll vote for the lesser of two evils, as always. "They" being the majority of what society seems to have become: A bit of, 'Yeah, yeah, I care about the soldiers, the gun controls, and especially the - hang on, American Idol's back from commercial.'

Old 06-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

bill
Remember the Whigs? From major party to has-been in less than 15 years.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Thre is a political party that actually wants to protact the constitution ( ie get back to the way this country was intended to be). The Libertarians are a viable chioce...typically on the ballot in at least 48 states. Without the large capital backing and pull...usually the dems and repubs refuse to even participate in debates if the Libertarian is invited. In Ohio, our 2006 gubernatorial candidates found out the Libertarian was invited and they both declined until has invitation was revoked. What are they so afraid of?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Thre is a political party that actually wants to protact the constitution ( ie get back to the way this country was intended to be). The Libertarians are a viable chioce...typically on the ballot in at least 48 states. Without the large capital backing and pull...usually the dems and repubs refuse to even participate in debates if the Libertarian is invited. In Ohio, our 2006 gubernatorial candidates found out the Libertarian was invited and they both declined until has invitation was revoked. What are they so afraid of?
it would be entertaining to see michael savage at a presidential debate!!
he would rip both parties,,and would make a lot of sense

Old 06-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
The truth.
The two parties have worked out a very effective "divide and conquor" strategy. Whatever differences they may have, those differences are far less significant than their common interest of staying in power.
Including someone who actually believes in and understands the constitution would put their games at risk.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Don't see how this is a real gun control thread but I appreciate some of the responses.

Libertarians have a good theory but in practice would lead to anachy (prostitutes on the street corners openly soliciting and legalized drugs?). Might try the Constitutionalists Party!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 PM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Today, 05:01 PM
NUMBER 6
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2007
1 posts, read 23 times

What Is The Reality In Portland?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a post by wannabe-maine-iac:What is wrong with lewiston?a member name "White Dove" posted a thread about Lewiston being one of 5 area where you had "WHITE FLIGHT!!!!!????",FROM WHAT?i asked myself!? Please say it ain't so... NOT MAINE TOO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
A little bit about myself.I leave in the urban jungle call TORONTO CANADA,look on the net and you will see that it is only 62% WHITE AND 42.8% NON-WHITE.It as become a living hell,between black Carabean gangs having SHOUT-OUTS IN A EXCLUSIVE DTWN shopping mall where a 15y.o.white girl was murdered by a stray bullet ON BOXING DAY!!!!,to black pimps going into suburbia to kidnap young white teenage girls for FORCE prostitution,black gangs home invasions,to African Nigerian setting-up international credit card fraud/telemarketing scam rings,to totally dishonest Indian(India) slum lords whom also specialize in all kind of "business" frauds and scams,ect ,ect ,ect and you got yourself a prime example of the beauty of diversity!!White working class parents whom can't even afford it have been FORCED to put their kids in private school just to make sure that they don't get shot( as one student got shot just last week) or that their daughters don't end-up pregnant from a Negro kid (date rape drug)that doesn't know how to use toilet paper!,that are now the main staple of the Toronto school system.

I went to visit Minneapolis only to realize that all the gangs subhumans from the ghettos of surrounding Chicago,Detroit & Cleveland along with 50,000 SOMALIS have turn the city into a TOTAL CRAP HOLE!!,with all kinds of delicacies like:muggings,rapes,murders,violent robberies, dope dealing,home invasions,ect.I was heartbroken, so i thought to myself wow,let go to Portland,Maine .I love lobsters ,seafood,clean air,CLEAN WATER to swim in and MAINE IS THE KIND OF STATE WITHOUT THOSE ISSUES!.Not being a small town type i checked city-data and look at the demographics for Portland and saw 2.6% blacks & 6.8%non-white but only 90% white,even though not perfect i thought compared to where i am it's like even.So imagine how disturb i was to see SOMALIS invading Lewiston to such a extent that it as become a issue!!,and from what i red on the net through local Portland newspaper that it's black population as double. So please tell me what is the reality in Portland is it becoming another TORONTO or Minneapolis or is "WHITE FLIGHT OUT OF 5 AREA" posting of "white dove" a exaggeration .
thank you

[+] Rate this post positively

NUMBER 6
View Public Profile
Find all posts by NUMBER 6
Add NUMBER 6 to Your Buddy List

Today, 05:09 PM
umograd83
Member Join Date: May 2007
24 posts, read 1,129 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL. You really can't have white flight in Portland. Not enough African Americans, Somalis to "run away from". Not really a problem, in my opinion. Maine's total AA percentage is 0.5%.

umograd83
View Public Profile
Send a private message to umograd83
Find all posts by umograd83
Add umograd83 to Your Buddy List

Today, 06:08 PM
MRVphotog
Member Join Date: May 2007
25 posts, read 907 times

If you lived in Lewiston you would hear that many do have a problem with the Somalia immigrants. A large number have emigrated to Lewiston in particular, so much so that the mayor a few years ago made national headlines when he made a public plea for it to stop. Part of the rub for many is that they get an amazing amount of financial assistance.

I worked with a bunch at LL Bean and to be honest I found them to be just like every other ethnic group...some are great..some are jerks...most are somewhere in between just like us white folks.

Today, 07:10 PM
Nate20007
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2007
1 posts, read 2 times

Reality in Portland

I do not live in Maine but have visited many, many times. I would like to move there some day. Maine is far less diverse than other areas; I am from South Florida and the difference sure is noticeable. I, for one, hope that Maine remains as it is and never becomes any more "diverse" than it is now. The truth is that the situation expressed by the original poster from Toronto applies to many urban areas in the United States. In my area for instance crime is rampant: Caribbean gangs, drive by shootings, home invasion robberies, car jacking, rapes, and the list goes on. The vast majority of the perpetrators are from those "diverse" groups. That is not being racist---that is the reality. Of course there are some white American criminals too, but they are few compared with the others. Many people here are fed up with it, myself included. In additon there is the issue of language: people seem to immigrate here and demand that those already living here learn THEIR language rather than the other way around. Most everything official has to be translated into Spanish and Creole. Americans come second. The immigrants are not the cause of the crime wave and many are indeed hard working; however they tend to stick to themselves and do not assimilate. Their presence does nothing to add to life in this area. The notion of Diversity is really a joke all the way around and it is actually refreshing to see a state like Maine exists that still has a minimal amount of this so called "Diversity". I hope it never changes.

Why is it that race has to be the big issue? Yes there are blacks committing crimes, just as there is whites committing crimes. Crime is crime and the only time when race should be considered is when a racially-motivated crime is involved. You say "white working class parents". What about all of the other working-class parents, regardless of race, who want to get their children in private schools but can't afford it. There is crime among every ethnic group the world over. It sounds like you are saying that only non-whites do this stuff. There are whites who do it to. It happens everywhere. The sad thing is that when someone who isn't white does it, it scares everyone.
I live in the metro Atlantan area and many of the Somalis flee Atlanta because of the crime in Atlanta and go to places like Lewiston,ME. As I read this post, it sounds like you are saying all blacks(or other minorities are like this). I'm black and I don't gang-rape anyone. I'm in college and working on my degree. I'm not involved in crime.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Crime has more to do with the breakdown of the family and poverty (mostly the former) than it does race. No one race has a monopoly and general jackassery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine