Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM

85 posts, read 311,354 times

Advertisements

I really want to say thank you to everybody for taking the time out to answer my post....it means so much and that's a fact. Sounds like for the most part Maine is cool, the people are just hard working and want to live and let live.

I am concerned about an area to live in. I'll be working at the VA and I don't want to live too far because I have zero experiece driving in the snow (I'll get into that later). I want to be safe and feel safe walking my dogs. So far, Augusta sounds kind of shady from the research I've been doing. Any other suggestions. I've never been one to live in the city, I'm more of a suburban, country gal. Given that Augusta is Maines capital, it may be a bit too urban for me. Any suggestions in great areas nearby within 15-30 minutes.

Now the snow thing.....I have zero experience.....here in GA we shut down just about everything over a few inches of snow but I heard up North you guys still keep going even with several feet of snow...sheesh. Because we shut down everything, I've never been concerned about black ice (we get lots of that) but if you guys are still operating at full swing with terrible weather, I'm assuming black ice is something the DOT there tries to take care of?

Are snow tires needed? I drive a Honda Accord so no AWD for me but if I would benefit from snow tires I would def like to hear what you have to say about them.

And speaking of snow....how are the temperatures in that area in the winter? I did some research and the data I read said temperatures in the winter in Maine could average from 19-30...and I thought..WOW not too bad but almost too good to be true. Went to Chicago once and that wind mixed with snow was killer. Actully it wasn't the snow it was the wind itself that made EVERYTHING else worse.

One thing that I am liking is the fact that Maine has a more visible Native American population. I know the Micmacs, Penobscots and Passamaquoddys are up there and I think that is really neat. I've only bumped into 2 Natives here in GA my entire life so I think they are a bit under-represented here. What's more ignorant is that people here in the south mistake Natives for Mexicans or make the comment that Natives look like Mexicans. Actually, factually speaking, it's Mexicans who look Native....anyway sorry about the ramble.

Again thanks for any information. I've never visitied Maine so I'm moving some place I've never been. People say never move to an area without visiting it but sometimes that's not possible so again thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
I really want to say thank you to everybody for taking the time out to answer my post....it means so much and that's a fact. Sounds like for the most part Maine is cool, the people are just hard working and want to live and let live.

I am concerned about an area to live in. I'll be working at the VA and I don't want to live too far because I have zero experiece driving in the snow (I'll get into that later). I want to be safe and feel safe walking my dogs. So far, Augusta sounds kind of shady from the research I've been doing. Any other suggestions. I've never been one to live in the city, I'm more of a suburban, country gal. Given that Augusta is Maines capital, it may be a bit too urban for me. Any suggestions in great areas nearby within 15-30 minutes.

Now the snow thing.....I have zero experience.....here in GA we shut down just about everything over a few inches of snow but I heard up North you guys still keep going even with several feet of snow...sheesh. Because we shut down everything, I've never been concerned about black ice (we get lots of that) but if you guys are still operating at full swing with terrible weather, I'm assuming black ice is something the DOT there tries to take care of?

Are snow tires needed? I drive a Honda Accord so no AWD for me but if I would benefit from snow tires I would def like to hear what you have to say about them.

And speaking of snow....how are the temperatures in that area in the winter? I did some research and the data I read said temperatures in the winter in Maine could average from 19-30...and I thought..WOW not too bad but almost too good to be true. Went to Chicago once and that wind mixed with snow was killer. Actully it wasn't the snow it was the wind itself that made EVERYTHING else worse.

One thing that I am liking is the fact that Maine has a more visible Native American population. I know the Micmacs, Penobscots and Passamaquoddys are up there and I think that is really neat. I've only bumped into 2 Natives here in GA my entire life so I think they are a bit under-represented here. What's more ignorant is that people here in the south mistake Natives for Mexicans or make the comment that Natives look like Mexicans. Actually, factually speaking, it's Mexicans who look Native....anyway sorry about the ramble.

Again thanks for any information. I've never visitied Maine so I'm moving some place I've never been. People say never move to an area without visiting it but sometimes that's not possible so again thanks everyone!
Climate data for most locations in Maine are easily available online: //www.city-data.com/city/Maine2.html

There are many places in Maine where the temps often go well below zero, and then there's also the wind chill.

Many people also say that athough it may be warmer on the coast, the damp air makes the cold feel even colder.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post

Hi! We moved to Maine last year from NC and are loving it! We live about an hour from Augusta. We know someone who lives in Windsor, which is about 20 minutes or so from Augusta. It's close to the VA too. I've never been there, but heard that it's a nice small town. You may want to check it out!

This was our first winter here, and we had no issues driving in snow. (We used to live in WI, so we're used to it anyway.) Maine does a great job keeping up with plowing and sanding/salting. Neither of our cars has AWD and we were fine.

The only roundabout I've drive through in Maine is the one in Augusta on the way to Old Navy. I got honked at a few times, so I must be doing something wrong. I'm sure you'd get used to them fast if you drive through them daily.

Good luck if you make this move! Hope everything works out for you!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Check out gardner which is right next to Augusta and right over the bridge from the VA. Very nice town IMO .

If you look at a map you will see that the Maine turnpike (95) and 295 intersect right there. That means you have access to both the Lewiston Auburn area, and Portland area.. or points North!

Augusta feels a little dead (boring) to me... there "might" be some run down poor areas but there is no major crime issues. You should find Gardner very affordable.

PS. The race thing..though you can never account for everyone... I lived down south, grew up outside Boston, and Maine to me seems to be the most open minded place there is.

Good luck!

PS. I noticed your looking at Vermont also and included in your thread that your a black republican female.. hmmm. now a black female is one thing... but a republican in Augusta Maine good luck

Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Hallowell could be nice to live in. It's near Togus and Augusta. Get studded snow tires for your car. They will give you the best bite. Get a separate set of rims to keep them on, since studs can't be used after sometime in spring. You'll get used to driving in the snow... it ain't rocket science.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 PM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
I've lived in both Vermont and Maine---I recommend Maine. The people are nicer and Augusta would afford more shopping and recreational opportunities than White River Junction.

Augusta is basically nice but there are bad parts. Live outside of town---Gardiner is very nice.

Any questions or you need any help shoot me a PM. I love black women BTW.

Evan

Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"Sounds like for the most part Maine is cool, the people are just hard working and want to live and let live."

By Jove, she got it on the first shot. Maine will welcome another Republican. You'll like it here, but if you locate in Hallowell you'll create rampant confusion. Hallowell is liberal central and liberals treasure their stereotypes.

As to snow tires, your all seasons will serve you well until November. By then you should have a second set of wheels upon which you should mount Firestone Winterforce tires. We use them with studs. Put the same tires on all four wheels. You vehicle will handle much better with identical tires all around.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Sounds like for the most part Maine is cool, the people are just hard working and want to live and let live."

By Jove, she got it on the first shot. Maine will welcome another Republican. You'll like it here, but if you locate in Hallowell you'll create rampant confusion. Hallowell is liberal central and liberals treasure their stereotypes.

As to snow tires, your all seasons will serve you well until November. By then you should have a second set of wheels upon which you should mount Firestone Winterforce tires. We use them with studs. Put the same tires on all four wheels. You vehicle will handle much better with identical tires all around.

Now NMLM, I think we liberals are a very tolerant bunch. Don't YOU resort to stereotypes!! Truthfully I have found ignorance and tolerance on both sides of the political spectrum. Funny thing is that even some of the aggressive rednecks either treat me as an obligatory addition or a potential convert. Go figure.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
As far as tires are concerned, like I mentioned before, we had no issues driving on our regular tires all winter. Most people I know in Maine don't switch out tires for winter driving.... We don't even have 4-wheel drive and we were fine. Just our experience. Maybe the roads aren't kept as clear in more rural areas? Not that we live in the big city.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Now NMLM, I think we liberals are a very tolerant bunch. Don't YOU resort to stereotypes!! Truthfully I have found ignorance and tolerance on both sides of the political spectrum. Funny thing is that even some of the aggressive rednecks either treat me as an obligatory addition or a potential convert. Go figure.
I like you tcrackly and I'm just left of Glenn Beck!
You hunt, you're bright and articulate, and you have a heart of gold! You're a Mainer if I ever saw one and a darn nice lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine