Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM

85 posts, read 311,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Geez, I feel like a fool. We went to Augusta today, and not only did I get honked at in the rotary (or as my kids call it now: the circle of death), but I almost got hit by another car! I'm about ready to give up. I'm actually a good driver. Haven't even had a ticket in my 20 + years of driving. I've driven in Chicago, NYC, and other big cities. Can't handle the rotary in Augusta Maine though! I'll have to find alternate routes next time to keep others safe. Bummer!
Oh, you can actually avoid them? If that's the case then that makes me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
I tend to agree with melinuxfool that the rotaries are fun. I have gone around more than once just for the fun of it and looked forward to the next one.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,228 times
I actually managed to find a sort of "driver's ed" video for dealing with "roundabouts." It's from Washington State, but I couldn't pick out anything that would be different about driving through a rotary in Maine.

YouTube - Roundabouts - How do I drive a roundabout? (2 of 5)

Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM

As always, thanks! But more questions as always...what are your thoughts on Chelsea Maine? I mean as far as living there and trying to find an apartment?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Is it one of those red-neckish towns? Just read a horrible story about a Lesbian couple having a hate crime committed against them in some small town in Maine and they sounded distraught. It sounded like they were ready to pack up and move. Again I have no problem living in predom.white areas. The area I live in now is pred white, the next largest minority are Asians and then a few black scattered here and there but these are mostly whites from up North or out East so that makes all the difference. In fact my next door neighbor is from New England! But red-necks just like ghetto-blacks (who I don't like living anywhere near either) are a different story.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Are there any apartments in Augusta, Maine? Having a hard time finding one?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Sorry, I should specify having a hard time finding a decent one. So far the small amount of reviews I've come across are not good. I need something safe and dog friendly.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
Are there any apartments in Augusta, Maine? Having a hard time finding one?
you can call vallee property management out of hallowell, or other property management companies- they deal with renting/leasing

Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
I understand the winters in Maine always get below 0 degrees, especially in the Augusta area so my question is what do people do with their cars? I mean I'll be in apartment so I won't have the luxury to put my car in a garage so what does everybody do? Do cars simply break down or won't start or what?

Thanks
if it gets really cold (wayyy below zero) the worst that can happen, your car wont start because the battery is too weak or dead- however, this doesnt seem to be a problem with most of us- i've had many used cars in the past ten yrs, and only in a very rare occassion, has it been sooo cold the battery is dead, so most of the time it isnt an issue

but, lets say you go to start your car and it wont start (battery is dead)
you have many options- you can ask your friend or neighbor for a jumpstart (hook up cables from one working battery to the weak one, and it will usually start right up)
if no friends- you can call triple A they will be there usually within a half hr,
or if you are an independent person, dont want to ask for any help- you can bring the battery in overnight out of the cold- or, you can buy a second battery, keep it charged and use that one to hook the jumper cables to
takes 2 minutes)
once the car starts- you are usually all set-the battery will begin to recharge itself

many mainers keep some jumper cables in the trunk "just in case"
and we(most mainers) dont mind being asked if we can help jumpstart your battery

but overall, if you have a newer vehicle, i doubt you'd have any problem at all

Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Geez, I feel like a fool. We went to Augusta today, and not only did I get honked at in the rotary (or as my kids call it now: the circle of death), but I almost got hit by another car! I'm about ready to give up. I'm actually a good driver. Haven't even had a ticket in my 20 + years of driving. I've driven in Chicago, NYC, and other big cities. Can't handle the rotary in Augusta Maine though! I'll have to find alternate routes next time to keep others safe. Bummer!
the rotary on the east side has changed in the last year, and it is a bit more confusing.
just keep in mind-go to the inside lane if you arent exiting on the first (right) then move to the outside line when your (right) exit is approaching
however, some folks just ride the outside lane til they get to thier exit, and it blocks the inside lane folks

there are many ways to get around the augusta rotaries-you can use the other two bridges in augusta (the small father curran bridge in downtown augusta-or the new bridge.
pm for any advice, i know augusta quite well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine