Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Eastport is pretty, but there won't be any employment there.
Unless he's a fire ant exterminator!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yep, agreed, but you're not supposed to talk about the ants.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, agreed, but you're not supposed to talk about the ants.
Do you two have nightmares about ants???

Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Do you two have nightmares about ants???

Funny you should mention that...

Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Eastport is pretty
All right--I've never been to Eastport.

But I've seen many photos of Eastport,

I've seen quite a few videos of Eastport,

And I've walked through most of Eastport and the roads in and out of it, in Google Street View.

My apologies--but it doesn't look near as pretty as a great many other Maine communities on or off the water.

Why does everyone say Eastport is so pretty?

Many houses seem to be barely standing, the open spaces are pretty flat and bleak looking.

I just don't get it.

I'd really like to know.

Maybe it's like Long Island, NY, where I once lived.

Everyone there seems to think the South Shore and the Hamptons in Long Island, NY, is beautiful.

But I find the South Shore and the Hamptons flat, mostly treeless except for some stumpy pines, and boring.

I much prefer the cliffs and stony beaches of Long Island Sound to the North. So maybe I just have different taste?

Or am I missing something about why everyone says Eastport is so pretty?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Have you tried this on them ants?

YouTube - NAKED JUNGLE

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 03-30-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
All right--I've never been to Eastport.

But I've seen many photos of Eastport,

I've seen quite a few videos of Eastport,

And I've walked through most of Eastport and the roads in and out of it, in Google Street View.

My apologies--but it doesn't look near as pretty as a great many other Maine communities on or off the water.

Why does everyone say Eastport is so pretty?

Many houses seem to be barely standing, the open spaces are pretty flat and bleak looking.

I just don't get it.

I'd really like to know.

Maybe it's like Long Island, NY, where I once lived.

Everyone there seems to think the South Shore and the Hamptons in Long Island, NY, is beautiful.

But I find the South Shore and the Hamptons flat, mostly treeless except for some stumpy pines, and boring.

I much prefer the cliffs and stony beaches of Long Island Sound to the North. So maybe I just have different taste?

Or am I missing something about why everyone says Eastport is so pretty?

For me it's the views out over the water. The ride in across the causeway is very nice. I have to agree, a lot of the houses aren't much to look at. I don't like living all that close to my neighbor. Not all the town is like that of course.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Have you tried this on them ants?

YouTube - NAKED JUNGLE
Good old movie. I tried that last summer. Got rid of the ants but, seeing as I can't swim, I was washed out to sea and drowned. Should have worked out more like Charlton Heston. Maybe I would have survived.

I don't know what the big attraction is to Eastport. Probably because I grew up here and am just used to it. I think it's beautiful here but I think mostly because it's home to me. We get a lot of artists here who love the scenery. It irritates me to know what it uwsed to be and how so much regulation and technology helped put us in the shape we're in now.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,378 times
I recently relocated to maine as well however only from upstate new york, thus my decision was based on having the coastline back.i was very tired of being land locked. i grew up in new jersey then moved to upstate new york with my family and learned how to apprecaite and love all nature had to offer but i never topped the ocean.
in july of 09 my fiance and i took a road trip from connecticut to maine jumping on route 1 when we got here to hit all the nice towns on the coast...in the middle of july this was not an easy task.the roads were flooded and it was obvious that the entire area was a tourist fest. we only had a few days to be in maine because he was on leave from over seas but we couldnt leave and ended up extending our stay by a few days. and thats all it took to fall in love with the area. we moved to old orchard beach upon his release and other then seriously missing my friends and socailizing...i adore living here.
15 days is probably enough but i would leave some time to possibly fall head over heels and want more days to be here. we have explored right up the coast and into the north and i can only tell you it never stops being interesting...even for someone like me who has lived in this northern region of the states, maine is an enviorment of its very own! i suggest you dump Niagra until you make the move to maine,you can take it as a day trip anytime.
trust me after living in new york and being to the falls a few times, eh its nothing that grand pretty disappointing once your there but other falls suggestions for NY, Tacanic, Seneca, Buttermilk...they all at least have great trails and cliff jumping if your looking for adventure. Niagra you walk up,look buy something and leave...not the best fun.
and if you happen to stop in old orchard beach which i would suggest i would bring those tents and hit up a near by camping site and tae the trolly to the pier it should be re-open in May...i hope lol.
Good luck and enjoy, i'm jealous what a road trip that will be!!
hNk Gennie

Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
I still have dreams about fire ants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine