Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

Join a book club! I also had a hard time meeting people here in Maine. I joined a book club, and now have several very nice friends. Just call local book stores or check with the library for book clubs. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 8,379 times
truly appreciate everyone's help! thanks again

Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I met a ton of wonderful people in small mom and pop shops and stores. Just ask a question, and they will pick up the slack. You're new, and they will have some interest in you out of curiosity, especially the business owners. Buy what you need locally. Take a walk, I have noticed that Mainers are really friendly to people who are walking around taking interest in things.
Our number 1, 2 and 3 way of meeting people has been thru:

1. walking the dogs around the neighborhood.....where we meet other dog people but also chat with folks working in their front yards....very very friendly;

2. we go to church in Saco and have met many interesting and creative and talented people....once again very friendly and compatible

3. tennis.....my partner is a devoted tennis player and is good enough that he gets called all the time to fill in for doubles etc.

We arent looking for a real active social life....but I know that we could meet folks thru the Art Museum in Portland and their activities....or nature walks and birding....or as simple as shopping locally and lingering a bit and becoming a "regular"....and chatting about the weather....asking advice.

Saco just had the "Mary's Walk".....must be a big deal there as a fund raiser.....there were hundreds of walkers and runners, lots of volunteers and a very festive atmosphere....watch for those type of community events.

There's a Trails project in Saco/Biddeford/OOB upgrading and maintaining trails for hikers and hiking groups who use them.

OOB maybe a bit tough...because it is such a tourist center....more visitors than residents .... but you are real near Saco/Biddeford and those towns are real year round communities and have activities; look at the churches, clubs, (I think Biddeford has community theatre group); go into the shops on Main Street in Saco...go to craft fairs....initiate conversations. Be friendly.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
One of the signs of spring is that this very group resumes getting together for lunches.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viveyrose View Post
I don't remember how to make friends outside of school! at first this seemed really funny to me but then as I settled into my new place in Old Orchard Beach,I realized how lonely I am. I love people and really enjoy having friends near by but have resorted to discovering every possible drive to upstate new york to see friends. which by the way i think the most beautiful has to be across ME,NH,VT and into NY rather then down into NH,MA,NY....anyway I'm asking for anyones 2cents on some good ways t make friends in the years outside of school. I'm an online student and don't attend class at a campus so that options out and I'm too laid back and shy to get anywhere in a bar really.

I like being friends with nature but...it doesn't seem to appreciate all the things like to do lol.

feeling pretty hopeless since the state is so large and about to be overwhelmed by tourist, I'd like to make local friends before then so I'm not feeling so alone...

suggestion, PLEASE! and thank you all

HnK Gennie

You think it's bad now.... wait till you have your school reunion in a few years.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
And for about 2 hours.
That's long enough!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
One of the signs of spring is that this very group resumes getting together for lunches.
Some of this very group that is.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viveyrose View Post
I don't remember how to make friends outside of school! at first this seemed really funny to me but then as I settled into my new place in Old Orchard Beach,I realized how lonely I am. I love people and really enjoy having friends near by but have resorted to discovering every possible drive to upstate new york to see friends. which by the way i think the most beautiful has to be across ME,NH,VT and into NY rather then down into NH,MA,NY....anyway I'm asking for anyones 2cents on some good ways t make friends in the years outside of school. I'm an online student and don't attend class at a campus so that options out and I'm too laid back and shy to get anywhere in a bar really.

I like being friends with nature but...it doesn't seem to appreciate all the things like to do lol.

feeling pretty hopeless since the state is so large and about to be overwhelmed by tourist, I'd like to make local friends before then so I'm not feeling so alone...

suggestion, PLEASE! and thank you all

HnK Gennie
how old are you?

If possible you might consider taking a class at the university or something.

You want to get involved in things that will place you around people of your own age and similiar interests.

Working is a great way to meet people too. Again choose something fun and that interests you if possible.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
I think maybe you just might need a dog.

They have some pretty smart ones too.

And by having to walk your dog in doggy parks and bringing them with you everywhere will bring many dog people into your life.

Or, if you can't have a dog, I'm afraid you're doomed to a life of boredom and despair.

I think others have administered their advice a little better. Just get involved in something. Start playing pool or darts at some clubs. Most guys likes a lady that can shoot too.

Another thought, how about politics. You'll find many like minded souls. Now is an interesting time to get involved in the good fight. Whatever you believe. Maybe a little tea party for you.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When I first moved to Maine; I went to the closest American Legion and joined them. I joined the VFW, and visited the masonic lodge. We also located the closest church that we can get along with.

I have since backed away from being very active in some of these groups, but the connections remain.

I would recommend that you go and check out what groups are in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine