Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Irish Mom is here - let's plan a lunch - what's a good location?
What a great idea!

Any old nook or cranny will do fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Yesterday I dug up and potted a large (about 3 1/2 foot spread) rosemary bush...and a similar sized lavender bush..and have them sitting outside till I decide they have to be moved inside to be safe from the first hard freeze. I did the same last year...but they have grown significantly over the year......so this was quite a labor of love.

I just trimmed the Rosemary a little as some of the new growth tips were looking a little limp in response to the transplant.....of course I brought those fragrant tips right in and put them in the living room as an herbal potpourrie.....so my house smells wonderful.....I put the lavender trimmings in the upstairs guest room.....so that is smelling fragrant as well.

These particular plants are three years old now......I bought them small when we moved to Maine....I hope to keep them going for some time.....but will have to keep them contained to their present size. I have several smaller rosemary plants that I rooted from cuttings.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Yesterday I dug up and potted a large (about 3 1/2 foot spread) rosemary bush...and a similar sized lavender bush..and have them sitting outside till I decide they have to be moved inside to be safe from the first hard freeze. I did the same last year...but they have grown significantly over the year......so this was quite a labor of love.

I just trimmed the Rosemary a little as some of the new growth tips were looking a little limp in response to the transplant.....of course I brought those fragrant tips right in and put them in the living room as an herbal potpourrie.....so my house smells wonderful.....I put the lavender trimmings in the upstairs guest room.....so that is smelling fragrant as well.

These particular plants are three years old now......I bought them small when we moved to Maine....I hope to keep them going for some time.....but will have to keep them contained to their present size. I have several smaller rosemary plants that I rooted from cuttings.

How does your rosemary do in the house over winter? Here, in NC rosemary grows just fine, and is an evergreen in the winter. I've never considered what to do with it in a winter in Maine. Do you have to mist it or anything else special?

I absolutely love rosemary. I use it mainly for cooking and never thought about bringing it in for the fragrance of it My boys always grab a piece to munch on when walking by the bush......that's a bit strong for me!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM

Rosemary was an evergreen in California too......and in SC where my son lives.....but the variety I have can withstand temps of about 20 degrees at the coldest.....we can get 20 below here in Maine. The past two winters I dug it and brought it in and it did very well in a bright sunny room....no special tx.......rosemary likes to go dry inbetween waterings and likes good drainage.....it really didnt need any special tx.....but it is much bigger this year even with me taking a piece off the main plant.....to pot seperately. I cant put it in the same sunny room.....I was thinking of putting it in th e garage or basement and let it go dormant and revive it in the spring.....but it is so gorgeous.....I think it will go into a cool guest room with northern exposure...but a big window. We will see.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I haven't had any luck with rosemary...I love rosemary...just doesn't seem to want to grow for me I keep trying though

Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM

The other day we went for a drive. We drove to Rome! And Mexico! And Peru! And Paris! We ended in Argyle. What a nice drive

I have been to the other Mexico a few times;
B has been to the other Paris a few times.
Neither of us has ever been to the other Peru;
together we have been to the other Rome many times, and we once owned a home in the other Argyle.

It was nice to be able to drive through all of them in one day

In Peru, we saw an interesting thing. In front of their school is a horse-trailer with a sign on it. They are collecting bottles in a fund-raising drive to construct a bathroom for the school. It just seemed very 'Maine'-like.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM

I am just astounded by the colors of the fall foliage this year.....does it seem much brighter and more intense to others.....this is our 3rd fall since we returned to the Northeast.....and the colors of autumn was one of the things that called me back....but this is the first year that they seem the way I remember them from my childhood......the depth and intensity and the color palette.....from straw yellow to rich warm goldens to glitzy gold...thru peach and pinks and lavenders, reds and orange and scarlet and dark purplish tones contrasted with the still green trees waiting for the signal of a different drummer....and the somber hemlocks standing witness. It is more than I bargained for.....I am agog!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
It's still beautiful out here. I've been on the road 1,000 miles in the last week and enjoyed it much more because of the beautiful colors.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's still beautiful out here. I've been on the road 1,000 miles in the last week and enjoyed it much more because of the beautiful colors.
Every time I think about taking some pictures as I'm driving down the road, I discover that I've left my phone at home.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 AM

This is weird. Two days ago it got to minus zero [our digital thermometer said -0.7F], and today we have mid 50s.

Today my honeybees are outside flying around.

What an interesting change from yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine