Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM

37,250 posts, read 60,994,380 times

Advertisements

Sometimes. We must provide feed.

A new beekeeper in Orono told me this evening that her hive swarmed today. They clearly over-wintered far too large so at the first chance they are splitting. Her bees are very aggressive, though.

My bees are out everywhere looking for food, I must have seen a dozen in my house today even.

At times like this, when they are active but there are no blossoms for them, I do provide feed.

Yesterday they were attacking our livestock feed. They could sense it is sweet, but just could not drink it. Kind of funny to watch.

Later when things begin blossoming, then nectar flow should be strong. During that period they will not need any additional feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,720,618 times
I cringe at bee season here in the fall. The yellow jackets are very aggressive and one crawled up my leg in my neighbors yard and stung me. I thought I would have to drop my pants in her yard to get it to stop. They used to get me every year.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,720,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Someone is going to physically assault you for looking at girls on the street?

Wow what a rough crowd. Hope they do not like being arrested.

DH looks all the time. It's normal. He is just a man after all, and I know who he comes home to. I look as well. How many of you think those game wardens on North Woods Law are hot? I think I may have to watch last nights episode again.

Last edited by animalcrazy; 03-31-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM

399 posts, read 851,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Someone was asking me if I thought that honey bees could tell when winter is over for sure. I think that bees have tiny little brains, and do not know squat.

However there is a much better sign. A sign I saw today. I went into the big city, we had to run some errands and afterward we attended a supper and show at the Bangor Grange [great food and wonderful show btw].

I saw five, I said FIVE, early spring short-shorts today. These are the most rare sightings of young birds just entering their maturity. Thats right, young females of the homo-sapiens variety out strolling about displaying their snow-white legs wearing incredibly short shorts [Hot pants we used to call them]. It really got my attention. Of course I acted cool, you do not want to spook the wild life when your out on errands. Besides to much drooling may draw an unwanted slap-to-the-back-of-the-head from another of nature's wonders the Dw.

Just another classic!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,021,031 times
Stopping in to say hello to friends who may be wondering what happened- we're still alive and kicking.

Forest Beekeeper- thought I saw you at the Unity fair, in the beekeeping seminar but when I looked again...gone? Been taking the class at Swan's in Albion this spring, may get a hive or two this year.

Mensaguy- got your DM yesterday, will respond later if you still need the info?

Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Stopping in to say hello to friends who may be wondering what happened- we're still alive and kicking.
Hello to you too.

Quote:
... Forest Beekeeper- thought I saw you at the Unity fair, in the beekeeping seminar but when I looked again ... gone? Been taking the class at Swan's in Albion this spring, may get a hive or two this year.
Lincoln is usually on top of all things in the honeybee world. I like to hear what he thinks is going on. I hope you have fun

Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM

16,591 posts, read 15,525,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Forest Beekeeper- thought I saw you at the Unity fair, in the beekeeping seminar but when I looked again...gone? Been taking the class at Swan's in Albion this spring, may get a hive or two this year.

Mensaguy- got your DM yesterday, will respond later if you still need the info?
Missed you around here. DM when you can.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM

A few days ago a friend gave me 'five' chestnut sprouts that I agreed to plant in the woods. Today I went out with 5 stakes [to mark their locations] and proceeded to plant them about 50 foot apart from each other. As it turns out, I think he lost count when he was putting them in the bag for me, he gave me nine sprouts. I planted all of them. It was a pleasant surprise to find that I had more than I expected.

These should be hybrids from two third-generation semi-'Dutch Elm' resistant trees.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 PM

783 posts, read 1,566,151 times
Picking up two nucs of Carniolans in Buckfield this weekend! Woot! I am more excited about keeping honey bees than I have been about anything since I was a child.

FBK - nice of you to plant & mark the chestnuts

Last edited by maureenb; 05-04-2012 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: goofed

Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Penobscot County Republicans have elected a new 'State Committeeman at Large'.

Congratulations NMLM !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine