Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times

Advertisements

We have friends that take most items we can't use. They either find someone that needs it or sell it for scrap metal. Some items I give to the church for their thrift shop. Recyclable bottle and cans we save till we have enough to at least fill the gas tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
Woo-Hoo - looky, looky - I got one of those little gold bricks, I am so proud to have a yellow brick.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
GOOD for you! I am glad you got it! (from one who was on the bleeding edge of the recycling curve "back in the day... LOL)

But here in my neck of the woods, I see FAR TOO MANY who not only don't get it, but seemingly don't get it with a vengeance. I work at a store that takes redeemables, but when I clean out the trash can on the gas island, I always see at least a quarter's worth of bottles and cans in it, and when I snagged a non-redeemable bottle that a coworker was about to toss in the trash, you would have thought I grew a tail and wings or something equally strange, just because I was going to take it to recycle.

Knowing the folks that bring in bottles and cans to our store, I am not at all sure that if the deposit were dropped, they would still recycle. "It's too much trouble" you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes that system is a bit much.
I think it's time to repeal the bottle law. The idea was to get people to practice recycling by giving the bottles and cans a real value of a dime or a nickle. People caught on and have been doing it now for 20 some odd years. We got it! We're doing it and most towns now have recycling stations which can handle the different glass and plastics for recycling. Many towns now have curbside recycling and trash recepticles where you can seperate the valuable cans, bottles and what not from the trash. Hey we're doing it with soup cans and milk jugs without the nickle incentive...we'll do it with beverage containers too. Drop the deposit, free up the distributors and pass the savings on to the consumers!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Would all of you, please turn your porch lights on this evening and leave them on all night. The people of West Virginia are asking this of other states and communities because of the huge mine diaster that killed 25 miners yesterday. At least 4 more are still missing. This mine is in the next county from me, about 30 miles or so.

Prayers focused on four miners still missing* - State News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Vey sad - their all dead - 29 miners dead, they've found all of them.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Vey sad - their all dead - 29 miners dead, they've found all of them.
I heard that on the news...

May the families find peace now.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
GOOD for you! I am glad you got it! (from one who was on the bleeding edge of the recycling curve "back in the day... LOL)

But here in my neck of the woods, I see FAR TOO MANY who not only don't get it, but seemingly don't get it with a vengeance. I work at a store that takes redeemables, but when I clean out the trash can on the gas island, I always see at least a quarter's worth of bottles and cans in it, and when I snagged a non-redeemable bottle that a coworker was about to toss in the trash, you would have thought I grew a tail and wings or something equally strange, just because I was going to take it to recycle.

Knowing the folks that bring in bottles and cans to our store, I am not at all sure that if the deposit were dropped, they would still recycle. "It's too much trouble" you know...
Municipalities around here are strongly suggesting (read forcing) people to recycle whether they like it or not. They charge several dollars per bag of trash and nothing for the recycling. If you're blatantly lazy and stupid or flush with cash you'll fill up the trash bags with recyclables that are picked up for nothing. If you have half a brain you will keep your trash to a minimum and toss the bottles ,cans ,plastic,and paper in the recycle bin vastly reducing the number of and therefore the cost of getting rid of your trash. You can't fix stupid or legislate against it either. The bottle law is outdated.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I am not sure if I would want 'recycling' in a community.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why not?? It seems like a no-brainer to me. That is pretty much the way it worked where I lived down south, though the charges for the trash were handled differently. I usually had 5 gal at most of "trash" a week and not even a recycle bin full every week.. but then I have practiced "waste reduction protocols" for a long time, as a matter of philosophy.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I much prefer an open burning dump like we had in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. Before municipal dumps people used their back yards. As yards became smaller they needed a place to throw the trash. Thus every town had a big nasty open dump in a sand pit they burned monthly or bi-weekly to reduce the volume. They smelled great, leached lots of toxins into the water, were filled with rats, broken glass and every disease known to man. But they were a fun place to meet people on a Saturday morning and every candidate running for any office made a Saturday morning trip to the dump to meet the folks. Ironic when you think about it...

Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Why not?? It seems like a no-brainer to me. That is pretty much the way it worked where I lived down south, though the charges for the trash were handled differently. I usually had 5 gal at most of "trash" a week and not even a recycle bin full every week.. but then I have practiced "waste reduction protocols" for a long time, as a matter of philosophy.
We have lived places before that had recycling.

I simply assumed that the added expense for it was included into our taxes in those cities.

We burn everything that is burnable.

We try to use as little plastic as possible.

All of our food scraps go to livestock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine