Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 AM

44 posts, read 130,411 times

Advertisements

For years I lived on the other side of the Beltway from you near College Park Maryland. There are some huge differences in life in Maine. Groceries, fuel, and gas seem more expensive here. Surprisingly--Summer's paradise Winter is grueling. Get used to much less day light from Oct on and invest in a winter sport like x country skiing. Our boys are now four years into Maine and we couldn't be happier but it is a huge straining transition. Be prepared for a culture shocki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I always wonder when I see stats like those too. What is up? Rockland has it's own police dept., so is it just that "reporting" is higher? I'd almost bet that's the case....I haven't been there in a little over a year, but I can't imagine it's gone downhill that fast!
molly, lets not forget rockland has a week long "lobster festival" every summer, attracting more than 200,000 people,
this is the closest thing maine has to a mardis-gras,,so with all the people and drinking, im sure the police are very busy during that week!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,397 times
Hi There - Small world! I lived 20 years in Burke (Landings Community) - moved to Culpeper, VA in 05. I am also considering a move to Maine - looking at Camden/Rockport area currently. Am considering renting for awhile to make sure I find a good fit - but I have visited many times and love the smaller town feel. Couldnt resist saying hello to a fellow Virginian looking Northward.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Hello, I use to live in N. Va (Lake Ridge) and still get down there from time to time to visit family and friends. exscrantonian, though gloomy, has some good points. The short days in the winter are murderous. Also, the lack of clear sunny days takes its toll. Maine get's long and lingering rainy weather that can last weeks. And yes Maine is poor. So you will see a large share of social and econimic problems that go hand and hand with it. Domestic Violence, Alahol abuse ect. But you will not see many murders or shootings or car jackings.

You said you have one child. I have a 12 year old and then I have a 4 yo and 18mos. Trust me, try not to live anywhere too rural. Coming from Va you must be used to neighborhoods with lots of kids and commnity pools. Very difficult to find here. You need to stick with portland area, Auburn Lewiston, brunswick ect. As nice as camden is or as rockland sounds it will be difficult to find an area with a lot of children.

Good luck

Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 PM

177 posts, read 410,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscrantonian View Post
For years I lived on the other side of the Beltway from you near College Park Maryland. There are some huge differences in life in Maine. Groceries, fuel, and gas seem more expensive here. Surprisingly--Summer's paradise Winter is grueling. Get used to much less day light from Oct on and invest in a winter sport like x country skiing. Our boys are now four years into Maine and we couldn't be happier but it is a huge straining transition. Be prepared for a culture shocki.
Exscrantonian - Great that you are loving it up there now. We're living in Silver Spring currently and are looking seriously at moving to Maine. What would you say are biggest 'shocks' once you moved there? (let me guess, the pace of driving compared to the beltway =).)

We are drawn to Portland, ME because it seems like a small city but without the small city thinking. lots to do, great arts, great food, very nice people, and forward thinking.

anyways, I'd love to get your thoughts on what you like/dislike, what part you moved to, schools (we have a boy almost 2 years old), community, etc.

many thanks.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Silver Spring...huh Do you get over to Wheaton Park? That's a great place especially with kids. We moved to South Portland which is close to almost everything we need. Home prices were and still are pretty high so we didn't move up when we moved here. We traded a small bungalow for a small bungalow only this one is a short walk to Willard Beach not Eastern Ave. and Rhode Island liquor stores.. I think Portland is a good place for former big city dwellers cuz it has a city feel to it and lots of restaurants and arts. We don't have as many options shopping but that's okay. Schools even in Portland are much better than we could have afforded in Wash. DC. We don't always lock our doors and can let the kids play down the street. Much more laid back lifestyle. Good luck. If you like the outdoors--this is the place to live and being close to water makes the long winter months more bearable.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I've got to say from reading some of these posts, you guys may be better suited to Mass than Maine....Maine is predominantly rural, and it doesn't appear that's what you guys are looking for....you want "city"...well, Maine is 98% trees.... (and WE like it that way )

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
molly, lets not forget rockland has a week long "lobster festival" every summer, attracting more than 200,000 people,
this is the closest thing maine has to a mardis-gras,,so with all the people and drinking, im sure the police are very busy during that week!
agreed!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Urban mainer

Here's what I love about Portland. I can take a three mile hike along the Presumpscot River and run into only a handful of people. I can drive out and really see some country. Nature never seems far away unlike in a large city area where you have to travel miles through gridlock to get anything remotely wooded. Portland affords a great mix of urban life with shorelines, mountains and forests within very accessible reach. The challenge is to keep sprawl at a minimum--not so easy to do. That's another plus for relocating to already developed areas instead of buying a large new house in a subdivision far from the city of Portland--if you opt to locate in So. Maine which isn't nearly as rural as some other areas. I've always lived in a small city or a large city but I appreciate the access I have here. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM

177 posts, read 410,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I've got to say from reading some of these posts, you guys may be better suited to Mass than Maine....Maine is predominantly rural, and it doesn't appear that's what you guys are looking for....you want "city"...well, Maine is 98% trees.... (and WE like it that way )
No, i have big 'city' now and it's definitely not what i want. Portland offers a really great small city and easy access to that 98%. Seems perfect to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine