Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times

Advertisements

Eagle Lake might be boring in winter, for sure. It all depends on your personality type. There is skiiing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, etc, and there is lots to do in Fort Kent in the winter. The university and Maine Winter Sports Center put on all kinds of stuff all year long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

23 posts, read 41,631 times
Default hi guys....thanks for even more info

yuup.....cmacyman is back in.....it took me awhile...my computer went down so i had to wait for it to come back and then i lost alot of stuff in it. i have been looking like crazy every day for houses in 4 counties. (aroostook, penobscot, piscataquis, and washington counties)....

so i have been reading all the posts to the dentist that is also moving to maine from the phoenix/scottsdale area....good for him.....quality of life and good people and community....that's why i am moving to maine too....

enough of the botox and jaguar, hummer driving, don't say hello to your neighbors attitude that IS scottsdale...(just my opinion though)

so am appreciate all of the info you have been giving to him....i have alot of the same questions as before, but with one added one.

flood areas....towns that flood alot, streets that flood, rivers that likely overflow.... etc....

i have a disability and not much strength. it will be just my 23 year old daughter and me so i don't want to be in a flood area.... physically and financially i can't do it. i see that all of those counties have had issues with flooding in the past 2 or 3 years....it seems that you have had alot more water in the past 3 years that you usually do....

i have tried looking at the official gov. sites on flood areas....i must be honest...i am getting way to confused.i don't know the teminology and the llingo, let alone what means what...(yep, i feel kind of stupid....lol).

i think i just need the info from the folks that actually live in it....year after year...for the honest answers. this house will be the last house i live in for the rest of my life, so i don't want to see it floating down a river....

we are flying up there in a week or so and staying for about 10 days so we can drive from bangor to aroostook county visiting all of the small towns and getting to know the areas, then driving back (not on I-95). and doing the same thing.....but it sure would be great if i could get some real advise so i don't waste any time....we don't have alot of time nor $$ to stay longer than the 10 days without hurting our savings for the house....so we have to be as practical and efficient as possible...

i am really leaning towards aroostook county and the brownville area is piscataquis county...the nmlm will hopefully be helping us in the aroostook county area....i have not heard back from my e-mail i sent to him last night though....

so......best wishes to the other phoenix transplant.......and thank you for all of the great info you guys always pass on to us....i can't wait to get around REAL people again...........

Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacyman View Post
yuup.....cmacyman is back in.....it took me awhile...my computer went down so i had to wait for it to come back and then i lost alot of stuff in it. i have been looking like crazy every day for houses in 4 counties. (aroostook, penobscot, piscataquis, and washington counties)....

so i have been reading all the posts to the dentist that is also moving to maine from the phoenix/scottsdale area....good for him.....quality of life and good people and community....that's why i am moving to maine too....

enough of the botox and jaguar, hummer driving, don't say hello to your neighbors attitude that IS scottsdale...(just my opinion though)

so am appreciate all of the info you have been giving to him....i have alot of the same questions as before, but with one added one.

flood areas....towns that flood alot, streets that flood, rivers that likely overflow.... etc....

i have a disability and not much strength. it will be just my 23 year old daughter and me so i don't want to be in a flood area.... physically and financially i can't do it. i see that all of those counties have had issues with flooding in the past 2 or 3 years....it seems that you have had alot more water in the past 3 years that you usually do....

i have tried looking at the official gov. sites on flood areas....i must be honest...i am getting way to confused.i don't know the teminology and the llingo, let alone what means what...(yep, i feel kind of stupid....lol).

i think i just need the info from the folks that actually live in it....year after year...for the honest answers. this house will be the last house i live in for the rest of my life, so i don't want to see it floating down a river....

we are flying up there in a week or so and staying for about 10 days so we can drive from bangor to aroostook county visiting all of the small towns and getting to know the areas, then driving back (not on I-95). and doing the same thing.....but it sure would be great if i could get some real advise so i don't waste any time....we don't have alot of time nor $$ to stay longer than the 10 days without hurting our savings for the house....so we have to be as practical and efficient as possible...

i am really leaning towards aroostook county and the brownville area is piscataquis county...the nmlm will hopefully be helping us in the aroostook county area....i have not heard back from my e-mail i sent to him last night though....

so......best wishes to the other phoenix transplant.......and thank you for all of the great info you guys always pass on to us....i can't wait to get around REAL people again...........

In general, don't live along a river in northern Maine. Ice jams can cause flooding the spring.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacyman View Post

The two Aroostook towns with a history of flooding are Fort Kent and Fort Fairfield. Fort Fairfield built a big earthen wall (I originally tried to use a four letter D word to call it what it is, but the vulgarity filter on CD wouldn't let me! lol) about ten years ago, and it has made a HUGE difference. No real issues since. Fort Kent flooded very badly two years ago. I believe that they have started to put some solutions into place, and are committed to continuing the work.
Welcome back to CD! If i can be of help with the County search, let me know.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM

98 posts, read 543,647 times
Back on topic, I am leaning toward Waterville. Love its proximity to so many things. I am likely flying to the area in a few weeks to check out a few of the cities I've mentioned. So far: my ranking is:

1) Waterville
2) Eagle Lake / Ft. Kent
3) Ellsworth
3) Old Town
4) Harrington

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Good luck, coming to check things out makes good sense. Your top 3 are definitely very different places, which should make deciding a bit easier.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Hello all! First post here and I have done some searching but would love to hear some specific comparisons between some towns/cities in Maine. I am looking at some dentist opportunities in the following cities:

Waterville
Old Town
Ellsworth
Eagle Lake
Harrington

I am married with two kids; relocating from Phoenix area. I lived in northern Maine/Nova Scotia for a while so am fairly familiar with the climate. Ideally, we would have reasonable access to shopping (willing to travel), access to coast and reasonable access to winter sports (snowboarding). Most of all, I am just looking for a good place to raise my family (schools/quality of life, etc). Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
I am in Phoenix currently, I suggest Old Town or Waterville for school district quality.
Good luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
Hello...did you ever make it to Maine and if so, what town did you choose? My husband is also from Phoenix. He works in Augusta, I work in Waterville. I've worked in Waterville for over 20 years in the medical field. All the previous areas you mentioned are different from each other.
We have recently sold our home and are moving to Vassalboro. They have an excellent school system, close to everything but not right in everything!

Sidney is also a great area. It sits between Waterville & Augusta. Sidney & Belgrade seem to be popular amongst professionals. We tried to find a home in those two areas, but inventory has been very low.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:11 AM

25 posts, read 60,014 times
Sorry to join the party so late, but if you haven't made a decision by now, I do have some feedback/observations from growing up in Waterville/Oakland area and then moving back between 2001-2009 (I have relocated to the Raleigh, NC area).

The upside: Waterville has some great parks, the Alfond Center (with two indoor pools and LOTS of athletic offerings), a nice community theater (the Opera House) and independent movie house (Railroad Square), two hospitals, two colleges, a historical downtown area, a variety of housing options and is more affordable than the lakes area. People are generally friendly and down to earth (like most of Mainers).

The downside: The crime and drug rate has increased in recent years, public schools (while still good) have dropped a peg or two, there still isn't enough integration between Colby College and the locals (despite a lot of effort on the part of Colby), property values have taken a nosedive (though this is by no means unique to Waterville), and there are more abandoned storefronts and shops in downtown than 5 years ago. This contributes to a feeling that Waterville has seen its better days, though there is a very active effort by the chamber and Main Street group to revitalize downtown.

The other town you mentioned are much further up north and more isolated but that's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you want or value. Personally, I would also look at the towns and cities surrounding Portland (there are some great small to midsize town 20-25 minutes from dowtown Portland; however, prices will be considerably higher) and you can have the amenities of a progressive and diverse city while being in the "country."

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times
Take a good look at a map of Maine -- do you really want to be in Eagle Lake/Ft Kent? I lived in Presque Isle for 18 months years ago and felt like I was on another planet. It is just so FAR from everything. I think Waterville might be your best bet but consider checking out Bangor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine