Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

the cannery needs a new marketing plan
they should redesign the cans, and be sure to place the words

Organic
green produced
gluten free
environmentally friendly
environmentally responsible,
we saved 30,000 wales this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
I love sardines too, but I have to go out to the parking lot and eat them in my car. No one at the office will let me and people in the lunch room made it clear I should eat them in my office.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have a friend in the Sons of Amvets who makes the best smoked clams in olive oil you have ever tasted! It's a real treat when he brings some in to the bar. Like he did yesterday afternoon!

That sounds very appetizing. I'll admit, I'm not much of sardine eater. Every now and then I'll buy some packed in mustard and put 'em on saltines. But, they are nutritious.

Glad to hear about the sardine cannery. Hopefully it will remain open.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
That sounds very appetizing. I'll admit, I'm not much of sardine eater. Every now and then I'll buy some packed in mustard and put 'em on saltines. But, they are nutritious.

Glad to hear about the sardine cannery. Hopefully it will remain open.
They said on the news if it does stay open it will most likely package lobster meat not sardines.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They said on the news if it does stay open it will most likely package lobster meat not sardines.

When my family lived in ME back in the 70s, my Dad would bring home lobster once a week from Portland. He was stationed there -- in the USCG. Was cheap enough even for a relatively poor family like ours to pig out on.

Sometimes I wished he'd moved us to Portland instead of Cornish. But, he wanted the country environment for us. Still, I enjoyed my time there.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
Sardines yuk Went Moose hunting in NFLD a couple of years ago My guide asked me if I wanted some sardines I declined. My stomach turned watching him eat them. All I could think of was that sardines looked like bait I would use to catch a real fish. To top it off he drank the juice in the can

Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
When my family lived in ME back in the 70s, my Dad would bring home lobster once a week from Portland. He was stationed there -- in the USCG. Was cheap enough even for a relatively poor family like ours to pig out on.

Sometimes I wished he'd moved us to Portland instead of Cornish. But, he wanted the country environment for us. Still, I enjoyed my time there.
The "poor kids" in our school ate lobster and crabmeat sandwiches. They were more than happy to trade for bologna or PB&J. One of our favorite meals when I was a kid was a mess of crabs. They were dirt cheap but we loved them. My father would get us a box full of them for about $2.00 boil 'em up and we'd pick out crab legs until we got sick! Yummy. We ate a lot of seafood when we were growing up. No meat Fridays(Catholic) were the best. We called it fish night. Scallops, haddock, shrimp, filet of sole, swordfish, crabs, clams, lobster, scallops (pronounced scALLops not skalips) smelts, etc. Every Friday night it was something. If there was any left over the first kid up got that fish for breakfast. I was usually up first!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Unfortunately the major processors found it is more profitable to tear down their plants and relocate overseas. I found some Van De Kamp sardines in the dollar store that are processed in Thailand. When I checked the company website to investigate product processing serial #s it indicated that a large portion of fish is frozen here in the states, shipped to southeast Asia, then packed for shipping back to the states under a different brand label.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Maine ah, do you recall the name of the Yarmouth cannery, and who the owner was?

Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM

625 posts, read 792,187 times
MY mom's house is just down the road from the plant. That said Look's still cans sardines..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine