Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Raye's Mustard used to supply many of those canneries. Their small museum makes reference to the long lost past of sardine canning.

Rayes Old Fashioned Gourmet Mustard - - Rayes Old Fashioned Gourmet Mustard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
From what I've been told, sardines were at one time a popular item in taverns. Just like nuts and other munchies.
Yeah, but who eats them now? I don't know anyone who does.

Aside from being a joke (as the "worst pizza topping possible") who even uses sardines any more?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Yeah, but who eats them now? I don't know anyone who does.

Aside from being a joke (as the "worst pizza topping possible") who even uses sardines any more?
You may be confusing anchovies with sardines.

I eat both.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I was one of those that had never had sardines in the house growing up, so the very idea was foreign to me .
One time working at a skii slope I was put at a lift station for the chair lift ,and I had already worked the whole nite making snow the previous shift, so I was hungry.
Some one had left a can of sardines in the booth so that was my lunch, and I have been hooked ever since.
NAFTA really messed up our country. Who was it Carter signed that one in ?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM

151 posts, read 199,193 times
Default sardines

I think Stinson Seafood of Prospect harbour was the last to close, for an in depth view of the sardine industry go to: ATLANTIC FISHERMAN then to : "can the beleaguered sardine industry stage a comeback?" a good read on the sardine indusry in North America and who now owns the whole thing.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 PM

625 posts, read 792,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
I think Stinson Seafood of Prospect harbour was the last to close, for an in depth view of the sardine industry go to: ATLANTIC FISHERMAN then to : "can the beleaguered sardine industry stage a comeback?" a good read on the sardine indusry in North America and who now owns the whole thing.
Again there are still several places canning sardines! Stinsons ( at the time bumble bee owned ) was the last LARGE sardine company in Maine.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I was one of those that had never had sardines in the house growing up, so the very idea was foreign to me .
One time working at a skii slope I was put at a lift station for the chair lift ,and I had already worked the whole nite making snow the previous shift, so I was hungry.
Some one had left a can of sardines in the booth so that was my lunch, and I have been hooked ever since.
NAFTA really messed up our country. Who was it Carter signed that one in ?
im thinking it was clinton....

Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM

393 posts, read 981,950 times
Hadn't had sardines in YEARS when I saw them on sale at Renys (from $.79 pkg to $.50). Bought a LOT (the one in mustard sauce is delicious). Very healthy - protein, calcium, fish oil - and low calorie. Plus those packets are good for pretty long terms storage for all you preppers out there. Also good for backpacking.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 AM

625 posts, read 792,100 times
I to always have a pile in my pantry. Even my grand kids love them. I eat them all the time. Easy cheap and very tasty.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
When I was a kid....my Dad was a young country minister; the little churches he was pastor of provided the parsonage, wood for the furnace, they maintained the home.....and gave a very small subsistence salary. Parishioners supplemented by providing "in kind" donations of canned goods, clothing, etc. One time we got several large boxes filled with cans of sardines......not only did they stretch the food budget....but for about a year those cans were my building blocks....I built castles and houses and towers out of cans of sardines.

I have happy memories associated with sardine cans. On my office wall I have a photograph a friend of mine took in a little down east grocery store of sardine cans.....I am looking at it right now....I see: "Leader Brand", Daisy Brand, Seiner Brand, Stag Brand, BayShore Brand, Maine Coast Brand,, Olive Brand, Union Brand, E.A. Holmes Brand, Starkist Brand, Tren---- Brand and a couple of others with that I can only partially discern. I asked my friend the photographer the story behind the picture.....she said she was out on a ramble and went into the store and was fascinated by all the old cans of sardines and asked the store keeper if she could arrange and photograph them. It makes a lovely composition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine