Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,680 times

Advertisements

I will most likely be spending about 8 weeks in Monmouth as a counselor at Camp Cobbossee (i'm a college student so this sounds like a cool summer job). It sounds like i'll have a few random days off here and there to explore the area. What is Monmouth like in the summer? What kinds of things are there to do and see there? I've never been to Maine before so i'm rather excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
Smile Theater At Monmouth

wikiwiki, I commend you for your fine choice of summer jobs!

Monmouth happens to have an excellent live theater - The Theater At Monmouth. If you've never seen live theater...this will be your chance! No matter what you see, it will without doubt be an experience that will stay with you for a long while.

This is all I can offer in the Monmouth Dept. Hope you have an excellent summer!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
wikiwiki, I commend you for your fine choice of summer jobs!

Monmouth happens to have an excellent live theater - The Theater At Monmouth. If you've never seen live theater...this will be your chance! No matter what you see, it will without doubt be an experience that will stay with you for a long while.

This is all I can offer in the Monmouth Dept. Hope you have an excellent summer!
That's all there IS to offer in the Monmouth department.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 PM

I'm a huge outdoor sports kinda guy, hiking, mtn biking, running. Is there a lot of that in southern maine? I see it's pretty close to Augusta and Lewiston is there cool things to do those cities?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I'm a huge outdoor sports kinda guy, hiking, mtn biking, running. Is there a lot of that in southern maine? I see it's pretty close to Augusta and Lewiston is there cool things to do those cities?
There are no "cities" in Maine as you would know a city. The biggest town is Portland and there are less than 60,000 people there. There are lots of outdoor things to do in Maine though Augusta and Lewiston do not leap to the top of outdoor gateway communities. Since I personally do not hike, bike ,or run maybe someone else can chime in on those activities.
Water sports are quite common. Canoeing, kayaking etc. Lots of water in Maine.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM

I've google earth'd a bit... and i have to say it looks absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to get there, it'll be a great adventure and experience I'm sure!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM

12 posts, read 30,687 times
I live in Monmouth, actually. I'm 21. The theater is fantastic, but other than that, there is not a whole lot to do in central Maine. If you want "urban," head to Portland. It has an enormous variety of things to do, and eclectic groups of people. If you want to be outdoorsy, there are plenty of lakes and rivers for kayaking all over Maine. Mountains, you either have to head to Acadia, Baxter, or North Conway, NH. There are small mountains all over Maine, but they're basically glorified hills. Mt. Katahdin, Mt. Washington and the Whites, and rock climbing in Acadia are all worthy pursuits. Augusta is near Monmouth, as are Lewiston and Auburn, however the only draw to these cities are movie theaters and some restaurants, and chain shopping. Hope this helps!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
monmouth is a nice area, if you enjoy water/lake activities, you'll love it-many fine lakes in the area!

there is a "friends of the cobbossee watershed" look it up online they have many activities, a bike race, cookouts, etc.

the town of winthrop is near monmouth look online for summer activities and events.

the town of wayne is a pretty area, south monmouth has tacoma lakes, a beautiful area also-the town of manchester is also nearby, i mention these towns-look online for town events/clubs/activities

if you want some night-life augusta has some night clubs as does lewiston/auburn area

Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM

I've officially accepted the job, I'll be there from mid june-mid august! pretty excited to start this adventure.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
good luck this summer, think you will enjoy yourself-the summer camps for kids in that area, have been around for many yrs, and provide memories for a lifetime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine