Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:25 PM

375 posts, read 609,071 times

Advertisements

One thing I'll miss about the arid Southwest when I move to Maine is our lack of mosquitoes, black flies, no-seeums, etc, etc here.

When I was growing up in Maine, Woodman's was considered the best for warding off biting insects. It stank to high heavens, but was effective. Also effective was cigarette smoke, so we used to smoke while fishing to keep the bugs off us. Fortunately I no longer smoke, so I'll have to find another repellent.

I'm aware of the 100% deet stuff that's supposed to be about the best on the market, but I recall reading that there may be some health risk with that strong stuff. And there's one of the B vitamins (and/or garlic pills) that's supposed to work - but I have doubts.

I do a lot of hiking and carry much photography equipment that I can't risk getting smeared with chemicals in the field.

There are some clothing lines that incorporate insecticide in the fabric itself and can withstand a series of washings. I'm a bit skeptical of their effectiveness.

My guess is that I'll have to resort to full body "armor" and wrap myself in netting.

I'd enjoy reading what works best for you OR what you've been told or heard works best - including any of those olde-tyme solutions from your grandparent's days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 PM

581 posts, read 712,871 times
Monte Cristo cigars.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Monte Cristo cigars.
I think he ment non-contraband repellents.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I mix Eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, citrus oil, penny-royal oil, in equal portions in water and spray that on myself, our livestock, and my clothing. I put it on thick enough that it's fumes make my eyes water, and the dog whimpers.

It works well.

I also smoke a pipe, and I wear three of those little electronic sound makers [one hanging from each hip belt-loop, and one on my shirt's top button].

And I keep moving. If I stop too long in one place, they find me and will soon over-whelm my defenses.

But for the most part, the essence oil mixture thick enough that it brings tears to your eyes, plus pipe-smoke, and the ultra-sonics; should keep you fairly safe for a few minutes.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
I have some friends who swear by Ben's.....I used Skintastic on the kids when they were smaller, and still use it on my 8 year old. Now that they're teens, they use the Deep Woods Off, and so do I. I've heard people say that they use Avon's Skin So Soft, but it doesn't seem effective on all bugs . Bugs don't seem to get to me like they do to others, but I have a low body temp, so I've always thought that must be why.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM

375 posts, read 609,071 times
Heck, if this keeps "you fairly safe for a few minutes" only, then you need to get serious about the problem - in your next mixture be sure to add motor oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I mix Eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, citrus oil, penny-royal oil, in equal portions in water and spray that on myself, our livestock, and my clothing. I put it on thick enough that it's fumes make my eyes water, and the dog whimpers.

It works well.

I also smoke a pipe, and I wear three of those little electronic sound makers [one hanging from each hip belt-loop, and one on my shirt's top button].

And I keep moving. If I stop too long in one place, they find me and will soon over-whelm my defenses.

But for the most part, the essence oil mixture thick enough that it brings tears to your eyes, plus pipe-smoke, and the ultra-sonics; should keep you fairly safe for a few minutes.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:18 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
Heck, if this keeps "you fairly safe for a few minutes" only, then you need to get serious about the problem - in your next mixture be sure to add motor oil.
We have tried 'Woodsmans', I do smoke a pipe, I do have a few bottles of the 100% DEET stuff, We have tried Bens, We stock 'deep woods off'.

Living in a thick forest alongside a river, does give us a fairly thick coverage of skeeters.

The big propane powered machines work well around here, and they will maintain a 40 foot radius circle fairly cleared of skeeters. While they are running. But they are expensive to purchase, and expensive again to operate.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,220 times
Try Ole Time Woodsman Fly Dope....good stuff.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times
I can attract every biting insect within five miles just by stepping out from behind a screen door. (Molly, I bow thricely in your general direction and please share your secret.) Ben's 100 is the only thing that has worked consistently for personal protection. You have to be careful to clean your hands after applying it, though, because DEET will, for example, dissolve some plastics, such as fishing line. Avon Skin so Soft works against black flies early in the season, but I haven't had much luck wihtit for summer mosquitoes. I hear very good things about the insect-repellant clothing that L.L. Bean and other places sell, but haven't used any of it yet.

I've had good luck using citronella candles and citronella-oil tiki torches to keep the deck tolerable.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM

42 posts, read 177,591 times
I was whining about the bugs getting caught in my glasses at an outdoor function at my kid's school. The bugs left me alone only while i was spraying the Deep Wood stuff. Another mom told me to use a dryer sheet, just wipe it over your hair and face. It honestly worked better than the repellent, and I smelled like a spring breeze all day! Someone told me years ago to use dryer sheets on wet dogs, too, and that works pretty good, but I digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: